Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rented 85kw for 3 days during Super Bowl.. Opting NOT to buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ KDIceBergSlim I'm glad you are so interested in Tesla that you rented one in order to experience it. However, without a home charger your experience with be very, very skewed like yours was. One major purpose of having an EV is that you are "filling up" while you are at home asleep and you wake up with a full charge everyday if you wanted.

Experiencing a Tesla without a home charger and going to a supercharger everyday at 5am and waiting....well that is NO way to experience a model S, and I'm sure everyone on this forum will attest to that. If everyone experienced the Model S like you did....I doubt many Teslas would've been sold anywhere at all....

IMO, The TESLA is not for everyone. Most owners, like myself love our tesla. Great car and it does everything better than any ICE 95% of the time. True infrastructure will improve over the year. For me, There are very few drawbacks to buying a TESLA, one of the safest cars on the road, no fuel or oil changes, insane warranty and it looks amazing and the technology is by far one of the most advance in any car today.

Yes. Exclusively at the Supercharger in Buckeye Saturday early morning at 5:00 am to avoid Super Bowl traffic and have ample time to Cruise in the day/nighttime..

I feel like If I'm going to love something it's gonna happen at that moment.. I don't need 30 days to figure out if I love it..I think I will go this route for sure no matter what I end up with.. Rent it without a sleazy sales guy or chick trying to schmooze me..

Just like with my fiancé.. I knew from the night I met her it was all over (knew I would propose to her instantly and did after 1 year) and I wasn't letting her get away..

My money is my money.. I don't think my finances or how I get the car or a car matters..

How often do you actually drive 400 miles in a day or even over 200? Do you have a second car suitable for road trips where there aren't Superchargers? Your rental experience isn't exactly indicative of day to day ownership. The car isn't for everyone though.

You charge the car every night at home and have 200+ miles of range everyday. 14-50 plugs cost less than $1k to install in a garage. This isn't brain surgery.

I installed my plug 14-50 plug to the breaker, did it myself and cost me 400dollars with the breaker, plug, wire.

So nowhere close to 1500dollars.. Pretty simple to do!

It seems like you're still thinking in the gas car paradigm - after 220/240/275/400 miles, I need to find a fuel source and wait around while the car refuels.

For most people, the EV experience isn't like that. Most of us have a place to charge at home, and so plugging in the car when you get home is just part of the standard routine, like closing the door when you go inside or plugging in your smart phone at night - and taking a similar amount of time.

As long as the car's range is more than your typical commute, you'll never have to worry or think about it except for road trips. For me, this is true even with my 3 year old Volt with it's whopping 35 mile EPA range - because my commute to work is only 20 miles roundtrip.

Road trips are an issue, but Tesla has mostly mitigated it with the Superchargers; most people typically take breaks every few hours anyway, and if you take those breaks at Superchargers, the car can mostly recharge while you eat.

What are your normal driving habits?
Walter

i work in Mesa.. Which means I might hit 50 miles round trip, but that's not the point.. Me and my fiancé typically do allot of stuff on the weekend such as

- fine dining, sports events, shopping, errands, visit friends, trips to the park, etc..

That 220 is a downgrade.. Anyway you want to put it.. And charging at night after paying $$$$$ for charging hub/adapters -> I said myself would work but at the end of the day..

That's not going to solve the problem.. You are going to have times where you don't go straight home and straight to work.. It just doesn't work that way.. This weekend was no different than if we hit 2 malls, 1 restaurant, and 2 grocery stores.. That's like every weekend..

EV would be a dream.. And like others said they agree, tesla needs to address range.. And being educated on it, is not whats lacking here.. I could betcha money those In-store sales employees wouldn't tell ya they only recommend charging to 80% or that you probably will have to shell $1,500 out..

Too me.. And just my opinion.. " don't make me pay more than what I need to "

i work in Mesa.. Which means I might hit 50 miles round trip, but that's not the point.. Me and my fiancé typically do allot of stuff on the weekend such as

- fine dining, sports events, shopping, errands, visit friends, trips to the park, etc..

That 220 is a downgrade.. Anyway you want to put it.. And charging at night after paying $$$$$ for charging hub/adapters -> I said myself would work but at the end of the day..

That's not going to solve the problem.. You are going to have times where you don't go straight home and straight to work.. It just doesn't work that way.. This weekend was no different than if we hit 2 malls, 1 restaurant, and 2 grocery stores.. That's like every weekend..

EV would be a dream.. And like others said they agree, tesla needs to address range.. And being educated on it, is not whats lacking here.. I could betcha money those In-store sales employees wouldn't tell ya they only recommend charging to 80% or that you probably will have to shell $1,500 out..

What extra money for charging hub and adapters? The car comes with a charging cable and 14-50 adapter which allows you to charge at 40A. Plenty fast enough for overnight.
Where are you getting 220miles? Even pre software update the P85D is rated higher than that. Depends on how you drive and what weather is but probably doesn't get below freezing where you live often.

Again, on these visiting two mall days do you really drive over 200-250 miles? Do you have a second car? They recommend charging to 90% each day if you need the range so your 220 number isn't valid.

Your life, your money, your choice.

However, given what you just said, unless you spend over five hours per day in the car driving on your weekend adventures (which would be unlike any non-roadtrip weekend plan I've ever seen,) it sounds to me like you wouldn't have to buy anything extra, not even the dual chargers - just arrange to have a 220V plug in the garage that you can plug the car's standard UMC cord into (if there isn't one already, the electrician might charge a few hundred dollars for that.)
Walter

None of your excuses hold water, sorry.

-Your weekend "extreme" activities do not put the 237 miles of 80% range (if you bought one new) at risk.
-The car comes with an EVSE that you just plug into a dedicated circuit (30A, 50A, whatever)
-Installing a high amperage outlet? Did you actually do the research on this? How far away is your breaker box from an outlet location?

Ask your fiancé how much she likes pumping gasoline. Ask her if it would be nice to never have to do that again. My wife is giddy that she never touched a gas/diesel pump for all of 2014. Ask her if it would be nice to wake up each morning to a "full tank" in the car.
Your situation is not unique. Many people on this board have more rigorous daily travels and have no issues just plugging in at night. The battery is too big to really need to charge while you're doing daily errands.

Please enjoy your Altima. I hear Nissan makes some nice Super Bowl commercials. ;)

What extra money for charging hub and adapters? The car comes with a charging cable and 14-50 adapter which allows you to charge at 40A. Plenty fast enough for overnight.
Where are you getting 220miles? Even pre software update the P85D is rated higher than that. Depends on how you drive and what weather is but probably doesn't get below freezing where you live often.

Again, on these visiting two mall days do you really drive over 200-250 miles? Do you have a second car? They recommend charging to 90% each day if you need the range so your 220 number isn't valid.

you need the hub to charge as quickly as possible.. Even other forum members have confirmed that..

The 85kw goes up to 265.. To prevent the battery from becoming a brick.. Tesla recommends 80%, and I'm sure they probably could check the logs of the car to see how much it is being charged and maybe void the warranty if you overcharge to 100%..

80% would be 240.. Realistically you would not drive a car until you had no reserves in it.. (Driving it to zero).. So lets say 220 is a fair number.. Once I hit 20 miles, I'm going feel the need to charge.. That's just common sense.. I mean come on..

My fiancé got wheels but what sense does that make? Have a 2nd car or use your wife/girlfriends car to drive an EV. Uhhhhh No. Not happening..

Bottom line is.. 400 miles on a tank vs 240 (really 220) isn't comparable.. The p85D might get 275, but your still leaving 125 miles to be desired on the table.. I don't care how superior the technology and the interior (sunroof, keyless entry, Touch screen,Smooth quiet drive,immaculate handling,etc.. ) In the end the question you ask : " Does this work or does it still need more work? "
I don't really understand the desire for 400 miles of range unless you commute close to that much every day. My current gasoline car has ~260 miles of range and I have never stressed out about range (and that's without waking up to a "full tank" every morning like an EV). How many times have you actually traveled more than 200 miles in your car and on a route that superchargers don't cover? That will give you an idea on how much it matters to you.

There's certainly a "good enough" point for range and I think somewhere above 200 miles is that point for a vast majority of people (even 100 miles covers a lot of people). There's diminishing returns once you get above that level (as that range is practically never used).

None of your excuses hold water, sorry.

-Your weekend "extreme" activities do not put the 237 miles of 80% range (if you bought one new) at risk.
-The car comes with an EVSE that you just plug into a dedicated circuit (30A, 50A, whatever)
-Installing a high amperage outlet? Did you actually do the research on this? How far away is your breaker box from an outlet location?

Ask your fiancé how much she likes pumping gasoline. Ask her if it would be nice to never have to do that again. My wife is giddy that she never touched a gas/diesel pump for all of 2014. Ask her if it would be nice to wake up each morning to a "full tank" in the car.
Your situation is not unique. Many people on this board have more rigorous daily travels and have no issues just plugging in at night. The battery is too big to really need to charge while you're doing daily errands.

Please enjoy your Altima. I hear Nissan makes some nice Super Bowl commercials. ;)

yall are hilarious.. It's not that serious.. It's okay to hear someone say they don't like something..

There is no way that your driving around the valley on the weekends is going to get anywhere close to 235 miles, requiring a supercharge during your "in city" tripping. You are making the mistake of focusing on numbers rather than what those numbers actually mean. And I don't understand why you keep focusing on 220 miles and 80% capacity. Most people charge to 90% and that is what is recommended by Tesla to avoid battery degradation. There is no reason to keep the car at 100% unless you need the range that day. If you do, you charge the extra 10% and go. Easy peasy. The car plugs in at night and you always have full range every morning.

I've had this car over 18 months and I'm a Realtor. That means I probably drive a lot more in a day than you do. In the last 18 months that I've had this car I haven't once needed to drive more than 200 miles in a single day filled with appointments in Scottsdale, Phoenix, Tempe and Buckeye. While you say you are a fan of this technology, it seems you are also using straw man arguments against it. Most of what you cite are not issues when you think about charging at home. You also stated that dual chargers and a home charging station drive the price even higher than $100,000. I would like to remind you, as others have done, that the Model S starts at just over $70,000. Dual chargers are only $1,500 and a HPWC EVSE is only $750. You don't even need the HPWC, just spend a few hundred bucks to install a NEMA 14-50 in your garage. If you do that, you don't need the dual chargers either.

you need the hub to charge as quickly as possible.. Even other forum members have confirmed that..

The 85kw goes up to 265.. To prevent the battery from becoming a brick.. Tesla recommends 80%, and I'm sure they probably could check the logs of the car to see how much it is being charged and maybe void the warranty if you overcharge to 100%..

80% would be 240.. Realistically you would not drive a car until you had no reserves in it.. (Driving it to zero).. So lets say 220 is a fair number.. Once I hit 20 miles, I'm going feel the need to charge.. That's just common sense.. I mean come on..

My fiancé got wheels but what sense does that make? Have a 2nd car or use your wife/girlfriends car to drive an EV. Uhhhhh No. Not happening..

You are talking about the twin chargers and HPWC. Sure, if you would drive 200+ miles often and come back needing to turn around and leave on another 100+ miles trip with little time at home a HPWC is needed. I still think you're missing the main point people are trying to make.

Where does Tesla say charging over 80% voids the warranty or 'bricks' the car? Please provide proof.

Well asking about a second car makes sense if 260 miles of range covers 99%+ of your driving but that 1% of days during the year it doesn't you don't want to bother with finding a place to charge...etc

- - - Updated - - -

yall are hilarious.. It's not that serious.. It's okay to hear someone say they don't like something..

It's perfectly fine you don't like the car. It's your focus on the range not being practical for your daily use and your misinformation about 80% people have issues with.

There's so much info wrong in this post. You don't need to charge "as quickly as possible" for daily use. So you don't need the "hub" (I think you mean the high power charger, HPC) for overnight charging (8-10 hour charging). The HPC is only necessary if you want 4 hour charging.

Tesla's default charge setting is ~90%, not 80%. Charging to 100% even everyday will not void your warranty. And the BMS will not allow you to "overcharge" the battery so that is not a concern at all.

well I would love to have the so-called range everyone is talking about when you live in Canada the range in the winter is cut in half
before I got the car witch is a p85d just before xmas I thought the range would 400km the showroom told me when its cold you might loose 10 to 20% trust me its half
for me when the weather is hot and dry its one of the most fun cars do drive but it does have a lot of little issues

Maybe "KDIceBergSlim" doesn't go home on a typical weekend. Maybe that's why his typical routine would require him to think about public charging?
Anyway, he seems to be the only one here who knows what a "charging hub/adapter is - unless he's talking about the J1772 adapter that is included with the car purchase, but maybe not included in his rental agreement?

Seems to me that he could do a standard charge at home on weeknights, and do a range charge on weekends if he's not planning on coming home for a couple of days. A standard charge would get him ~240 miles of city/highway range, and a range charge would get him ~270 miles of city/highway range. It seems like plenty, if you're not taking a road trip.

But then again, I didn't totally get over my range anxiety until after my first road trip.

No, you mostly don't.

If you drive less than the car's full range during a single normal day (which is true of about 99.9% of people) then home charging speed doesn't really matter. 40A charging (what you get by default, without any car upgrades, from a standard 240V outlet) will take your car from zero to full in about nine hours. As long as you spend at least nine hours at home during the night (e.g. sleeping) then you're good to go. Any additional speed is wasted.

Dual chargers are mostly useful on trips, if you're going to be charging away from the supercharger network. For those rare people who regularly exceed the driving range of their car during a single day, dual chargers and a high power charger at home will be useful to more quickly recharge during downtime during the day. But this applies to very few people, and it doesn't sound like it applies to you.

I'm curious as to why you insist that something faster is necessary at home.

I'm sure they probably could check the logs of the car to see how much it is being charged and maybe void the warranty if you overcharge to 100%..

Nope. Not only will Tesla not check the logs and try to pin the blame on you, the battery warranty explicitly covers this sort of thing.

I'm really starting to think that you not only didn't do your research, but that you don't want to be informed.

Last edited: