Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rented 85kw for 3 days during Super Bowl.. Opting NOT to buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on my third Canadian winter in a Model S and I'm pretty much at the extreme for distance driving with my workplace and my wife's derby practice both an hour away one-way. I've also done some pretty long trips sans Superchargers. Driving electric is a fundamentally different experience than gas and it certainly takes some getting used to, but after you drive for a while leaving home with a full "tank" every single day, you rapidly become spoiled. Range anxiety only affects me if I have to drive a gas car since I'm used to never thinking about refueling unless I'm on a road trip.

I don't have a fancy charging setup, either. I added a dedicated 50a breaker and a 14-50 welding plug for $350 and use the Tesla-supplied charger. I set the car to charge only on cheaper time-of-use rates and just plug in when I park for the day. The newer cars are one tiny step simpler in that the charge port can close itself as well as open, but the process of plugging and unplugging is VASTLY less time consuming than stopping at gas stations. Here in Ontario, our electricity costs once you figure in every element of the bill are quite expensive, but we don't use coal anymore. Even so, I was spending $8500 a year in gas compared to <$1000 in electricity.

My Tesla is my *only* daily driver for myself and my wife and we have ~120k km on the car, Canadian winters included. You just have to shift your paradigm to the different manner in which you use an electric car. I've only been to a Supercharger twice and probably used other chargers perhaps a dozen times, everything else is done at home with zero waiting.

Good Lord... He doesn't want one. He doesn't want to hear the rebuttals to his reasoning. He doesn't want to answer specifics about his daily usage (daily mileage - including dining shopping etc.). He doesn't want to use the wife's car on the occasion the S doesn't work for him (totally his choice - I get it). He wants the S to work for him 100% of the time. I think this one's been beaten to death. Time to move on.

I'm more concerned about other, non Tesla owners, reading the incorrect information and assuming it is accurate.

Probably helps that several people involved in this thread last night may have had a few drinks watching the game. I can only speak for myself, but I know I was in a bit of a foul mood due to the Seahawks losing and I was pretty soused :)

Anyway... reviewing this thread, I'm still not 100% sure what the OP's real complaints with the car are.
He says it's range, but then complains about electricity not being free or something? Then he goes off to talk about how his finances are for some reason.
He says he's a big fan of the car, but honestly some of his expectations make him sound quite uniformed.

If he's still around, and feel like clearly providing his input, I'm sure more sober minds would be happy to help educate :)

After reading the 13 (so far..) pages of this post, OP seems like he's just a giant troll. Clearly doesn't want the MS, that's perfectly fine. But refusing to accept or even 'abosorb' all the post's with the RIGHT information makes him look like a troll even more.

13 pages and going is pretty successful trolling...

Anyways, I might see you pumpin' gas someday as I fly by the gas station!

As a previous poster pointed out, the OP is trying to lease a $100k car on $70k income with a so-so credit score. He obviously got mad that the folks at myfico (http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Aut...core-70-000-Income-Only-2-Credit/td-p/3752490) told him this was a terrible idea, and decided to come here and trash the car since he can't afford it. Yet is going to apparently lease a Porsche instead ... I hope the fiancée has a good job and will be his Sugar Mama.

As a previous poster pointed out, the OP is trying to lease a $100k car on $70k income with a so-so credit score. He obviously got mad that the folks at myfico (http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Aut...core-70-000-Income-Only-2-Credit/td-p/3752490) told him this was a terrible idea, and decided to come here and trash the car since he can't afford it. Yet is going to apparently lease a Porsche instead ... I hope the fiancée has a good job and will be his Sugar Mama.

Here's my guess. He says he only pays $450/m in rent. Reading the comments here he is worried about the range and charging. I'm guessing he does not have a garage/way to charge it at home. That would explain a lot. Maybe he didn't want to mention it.

Wow. These responders on FICO are not helping. The dude only wants to know his chance of able to lease with a finance company at 22% DTI ratio. That is all. Everyone is judging his character just for asking a question. Almost like group bullying the OP.

Everyone wants to learn, and sounds like the OP knows his responsibility based on his 70k income. He earned that income and knows the rules of being responsible. Can't believe the people on the FICOFORUMS. No need to make decisions for him. Although, instead of asking hypothetical questions on a forum, he could've just try applying for a lease on the Model S.

Mod note: one post and those quoting it went to Sexist-Quarantine. No further comment.

What is the point in moving posts and having them still visible and linking it in the thread it was moved from, seems pretty pointless.

- - - Updated - - -

After reading the 13 (so far..) pages of this post, OP seems like he's just a giant troll. Clearly doesn't want the MS

Meh, I don't agree with your statement....seems to be more of a young guy that wants it but cannot afford it, right now anyway. His threads on myfico.com makes me believe that he does, or did want one he just cannot afford it right now.

Wow. These responders on FICO are not helping. The dude only wants to know his chance of able to lease with a finance company at 22% DTI ratio. That is all. Everyone is judging his character just for asking a question. Almost like group bullying the OP.

Everyone wants to learn, and sounds like the OP knows his responsibility based on his 70k income. He earned that income and knows the rules of being responsible. Can't believe the people on the FICOFORUMS. No need to make decisions for him. Although, instead of asking hypothetical questions on a forum, he could've just try applying for a lease on the Model S.
That's just the way credit forums are. They don't hold back. When you're proposing something stupid, they'll tell you that it's stupid. It's not malice, it's that the majority of those that post there lived beyond their means and ruined their credit, and have spent years clawing their way back. They understand sometimes you need someone to be straightforward with you, and don't want to see someone repeat their mistakes.

What is the point in moving posts and having them still visible and linking it in the thread it was moved from, seems pretty pointless.

We have quarantines for all sorts of things....look at them like speed signs, shows you what's allowed and what isn't. For all the occasional accusations of censorship TMC mods try never to delete or hide anything unless it's a clear ToS violation such as spam or obscene material.

I think that's how most forums are.

I'm a software engineer, and I admit it that I don't know everything. However, I understand the essentials of software programming. Sometimes when I scour forums from embedded devices on how to use a specific STM32 HAL library, I read so many users who basically says negative things to someone who maybe just learning or not familiar with how the library works.

In these forums, instead of saying their stupid which I find counter-productive, it would be nice to trust to OP and just answer his or her questions.

Also, the OP for this thread I feel that since he didn't get his way, he decides to posts his opinions and rationalize why he don't want the Model S. In terms of him financing a model S, if he wants too, he'll set his bar even higher on the payroll scale when he gets the Model S.

I believe that if you don't set your bar high and try to reach it, you won't get what you want. I try to live by that rule.

That's just the way credit forums are. They don't hold back. When you're proposing something stupid, they'll tell you that it's stupid. It's not malice, it's that the majority of those that post there lived beyond their means and ruined their credit, and have spent years clawing their way back. They understand sometimes you need someone to be straightforward with you, and don't want to see someone repeat their mistakes.

I skim read that thread on FICO and thought he got excellent advice and I didn't see any "bullying" but perhaps I missed it.

You drove the best car that exists and want to downgrade to a bmw or porsche lol k

220 miles isn't enough for your daily driving?! Then ya, go back to a gasser until Tesla's have twice the range they have now... which won't be that far off in the near future :wink:

And that will be an even more ridiculous amount of gas less miles of range per day!

I think that's how most forums are.

I'm a software engineer, and I admit it that I don't know everything. However, I understand the essentials of software programming. Sometimes when I scour forums from embedded devices on how to use a specific STM32 HAL library, I read so many users who basically says negative things to someone who maybe just learning or not familiar with how the library works.

In these forums, instead of saying their stupid which I find counter-productive, it would be nice to trust to OP and just answer his or her questions.
Perhaps, but those aren't even remotely the the same thing. If you don't get an answer about a specific programming question it's not going to bring the world down around you. Nor, in most cases, is the forum populated by those that have had that happen to them. There's a difference between being a jerk to some new guy on a programming forum because that makes you feel good and being firm (and maybe looking like a jerk) with financial advice because that's what's needed given nearly everyone there made those same mistakes. And to be fair, they "trust the OP and just answer his or her question" in the first few posts. There's essentially zero chance of getting leased/financed at that DTI and no large purchase history without essentially buying the credit by making a huge down payment.

Again, the tone was terse because it needed to be, especially when there are comments like this made:
I like the idea of leasing it because I don't have to worry about retaining residual value
This illustrates a fundamental misunderstanding of leasing in general.

I agree with your reason.

Perhaps, but those aren't even remotely the the same thing. If you don't get an answer about a specific programming question it's not going to bring the world down around you. Nor, in most cases, is the forum populated by those that have had that happen to them. There's a difference between being a jerk to some new guy on a programming forum because that makes you feel good and being firm (and maybe looking like a jerk) with financial advice because that's what's needed given nearly everyone there made those same mistakes. And to be fair, they "trust the OP and just answer his or her question" in the first few posts. There's essentially zero chance of getting leased/financed at that DTI and no large purchase history without essentially buying the credit by making a huge down payment.

Again, the tone was terse because it needed to be, especially when there are comments like this made:

This illustrates a fundamental misunderstanding of leasing in general.

To be fair, I live in sunny CA and I would say I regularly get 1.1-1.3 miles per rated miles. So if I 100% range charge to 260, with slightly aggressive driving, I get 200 - 230 miles.

I do agree with OP in that I don't want my car to get below 20 rated miles, but I also usually don't drive 200+ miles in a day. Would I want a little more cushion in this 200 miles? Yes, but I would also say it has to be clear and it's not reasonable to just tell people to drive slower to get more miles out. That's why with an ICE at anytime I can stop over and fill it up. With superchargers, they are farther and the last 4 out of 5 chargers I used were at full. Add that to the Harris Ranch charger being down last year, it's not like you can jump across the street to another supercharger. Even with all that, I don't like driving anything else.

So when people ask, I give them the truth and I wouldn't buy anything else. It's about setting low expectations and then letting the car exceed them vs the other way around and being disappointed.