Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rented 85kw for 3 days during Super Bowl.. Opting NOT to buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well I would love to have the so-called range everyone is talking about when you live in Canada the range in the winter is cut in half
before I got the car witch is a p85d just before xmas I thought the range would 400km the showroom told me when its cold you might loose 10 to 20% trust me its half
for me when the weather is hot and dry its one of the most fun cars do drive but it does have a lot of little issues

thank you.. Another one..

And I wonder why a tesla service center next door to Enterprise Exotic Rentals would tell them it should only be 80%? And from what I saw it had the latest firmware.. And the charging screen did say 80% or 240.

Keep a log book for a week including your shopping weekends and report back how often you drive over 240 miles while staying close to home (not going on road trip). Also, don't forget any time at home inbetween trips can regain some lost range. One hour on the 40A outlet can add about 25 miles of driving. If you opted for the wall charger over 50.

If you did like the car outside the range the HPWC would solve almost any of your issues for daily driving.

- - - Updated - - -

And I wonder why a tesla service center next door to Enterprise Exotic Rentals would tell them it should only be 80%? And from what I saw it had the latest firmware.. And the charging screen did say 80% or 240.

Well they set it to 80% then. You can set it from 50-100%.

If a realtor who lives in the same area has no issues with range on a normal day then you might need to reevaluate how you are looking at how people who own this car actually use it. You are talking to people who have driven this car for sometimes a year or even over two in my case. You don't seem to believe us and that is fine.

Even after owning a lowly Volt for awhile I find using a ICE again a pain. I can't believe how often I have to go to a gas station. I must have gotten used to it before the Volt, but now filling up once a week and burning through 12 gallons without going anywhere (besides work) seems ridiculous and inconvenient. Having to go to the gas station because I'm low on gas the night before work is a 20-30 minute thing that I never had to worry about with a EV. If it's in the garage I'm good to go the next day for whatever.

Pretty sure you're just trolling at this point. Unless, as someone who lives in Arizona, you really find solidarity with someone living in frigid Canada LOL. Also, you can extend your range even in insanely cold temps just by driving slower. The Tesla is one of the best selling cars in Norway and other places that are within reach of the ARCTIC CIRCLE.

And don't blame Tesla for an ignorant Enterprise Rental guy, jesus.

And stop reiterating complete FUD and nonsense which has been disproven to you 10x over.

At least this thread is amusing!

Pretty sure you're just trolling at this point. Unless, as someone who lives in Arizona, you really find solidarity with someone living in frigid Canada LOL. Also, you can extend your range even in insanely cold temps just by driving slower. The Tesla is one of the best selling cars in Norway and other places that are within reach of the ARCTIC CIRCLE.

And don't blame Tesla for an ignorant Enterprise Rental guy, jesus.

And stop reiterating complete FUD and nonsense which has been disproven to you 10x over.

At least this thread is amusing!

Lol.. Yeah I'm trolling on my day off.. Goodness.. And just FYI it does hit 30 degrees in Arizona.. And I did see a message about the battery being low and cold temperatures..

But you don't live in Canada KDice. Listen, you've got plenty of great advice about range and lifestyle. You are obviously stuck with the mentality of an ICE driver.

On weekends, I usually go out to "fine" dining, movies, shopping, etc. and it doesn't require that I must have a 400 mile tank in order to do so. Leaving my house fully charged gives me more than enough room to comfortably take detours. Is it going to meet "every" scenario? Of course not and neither will an ICE car. However, my MS does meet my needs 99% of time. And the trade off for that 1% is the fact that I don't ever have to waste 10 minutes of my time, each time filling up gas. I don't have to bring my MS in for an oil change and sit there for 30 to 45 minutes. I don't have to worry about replacing my catalytic converter every 100K miles or so or worry about my transmission. The list goes on about the benefits versus the occasional inconvenience.

But since you must have the magical 400 mile range per tank and it seems like you need it every weekend, then enjoy your Porsche, BMW or Lexus. You obviously don't mind all of the inconveniences of driving an ICE over the benefits of an MS.

@SandDiper. I think most people have posted thoughtful responses and have been pretty easy on the OP. This is a Tesla enthusiast forum and the OP didn't come on to ask for advice. He came on to state his opinion on why the MS just doesn't cut it. Nobody believes that the MS works for everyone. But I always find it so weird that someone wants to waste their time to tell others why they are NOT getting the car that most people here own and have more personal knowledge about it's abilities. And when they respond to his rather uninformed points, he feels attacked. Grow up and get some big boy pants.

Lol.. Yeah I'm trolling on my day off.. Goodness.. And just FYI it does hit 30 degrees in Arizona.. And I did see a message about the battery being low and cold temperatures..
I've asked a few times already but how often on your dining and shopping weekends do you travel over 240 miles in a day without going home? You won't see the same hit on range at 30 as those in the great north with sub zero temps are seeing too.

Btw, for anyone thinking about range issues, you may want to click here, and go to the 2016 map:

Supercharger | Tesla Motors

So within just a year or so there will be no major US areas without coverage. Further, I think there's no reason to think that as Model 3 comes out, they won't continue to add even more. In fact it's guaranteed because they'll need more capacity.

- - - Updated - - -

yall are hilarious.. It's not that serious.. It's okay to hear someone say they don't like something..

You're clearly interested in still arguing this so how about addressing his points (Chris TX) instead of brushing them off hoping nobody will notice.

Good Lord... He doesn't want one. He doesn't want to hear the rebuttals to his reasoning. He doesn't want to answer specifics about his daily usage (daily mileage - including dining shopping etc.). He doesn't want to use the wife's car on the occasion the S doesn't work for him (totally his choice - I get it). He wants the S to work for him 100% of the time. I think this one's been beaten to death. Time to move on.

you need the hub to charge as quickly as possible.. Even other forum members have confirmed that..

The 85kw goes up to 265.. To prevent the battery from becoming a brick.. Tesla recommends 80%, and I'm sure they probably could check the logs of the car to see how much it is being charged and maybe void the warranty if you overcharge to 100%..

80% would be 240.. Realistically you would not drive a car until you had no reserves in it.. (Driving it to zero).. So lets say 220 is a fair number.. Once I hit 20 miles, I'm going feel the need to charge.. That's just common sense.. I mean come on..

My fiancé got wheels but what sense does that make? Have a 2nd car or use your wife/girlfriends car to drive an EV. Uhhhhh No. Not happening..

Wow, you are seriously misinformed. I was giving you benefit of doubt. But this post shows your complete lack of understanding.

No 'hub' needed for SC access. Supercharger capability is built into every Model S 85.

You can't void the warranty unless you purposefully try to destroy it, like by shooting bullets at it. For life.

I live in the valley and drive all around the valley on weekends. Corner to corner even. My daily commute is 65 mi roundtrip. I've never experienced in any range anxiety in my daily life since I charge each night while I sleep. And I only have the 60 kWh version!

Then only time I experienced any anxiety was on my trip back from Rocky Point and that was my fault. Again, I have a 60.

You have about as much to learn about this car as you do credit scores and financial planning. Which is a lot.

Last edited:
- Too many posts too fast! I'm putting this in anyway 'cause I spent too much time wording it. -

Keep a log book for a week including your shopping weekends and report back how often you drive over 240 miles while staying close to home (not going on road trip). Also, don't forget any time at home inbetween trips can regain some lost range. One hour on the 40A outlet can add about 25 miles of driving. If you opted for the wall charger over 50.

This. You say you need the 400 miles range your Altima has, mainly for your weekend driving. That would imply that if you start your weekend (Saturday morning) filling your Altima, it is typically on E sometime Sunday afternoon. (Road trips excluded.) If that is your case, then you are correct that the 85kWh Model S does not suit your lifestyle. I suspect that is not the case, and you typically only fill up on average twice a week at most.

The term "brick" when applied to the car's battery applies only to when the battery charge gets so low it cannot be charged again. Model S has built in protection software that prevents this. You'd have to drive it until it shuts down, and then not charge it for a couple of months for that to happen. Range charge as much as you want, Tesla won't void your battery warranty. You do want to avoid the bottom end of the battery, but it is no problem if you charge soon after. It sounds like the person at the rental company was not well informed at all. If you know you have that much driving to do on the weekend, set a 100% charge Friday night and wake up ready to drive. (Or better, 98% so regen is not disabled.)

Think of a supercharger enabled Model S as a convenience option. If you spend similar $$ on another brand car, you will not get a lifetime of fuel for that car either. If you live that close to a supercharger, and want to spend your time there, then that would be your prerogative. It is not really that convenient, and it is obviously what you had to do when you rented.

It is not surprising anymore, many people think they need the range their ICE car has. How many people fill their gas tank every day? Those are the people that need 400+ miles range, and I don't know any of them.

+1 :biggrin:

kdICE - i'm sure you'll be happy with whatever type of vehicle you choose. In this forum, most of us love our S and are willing to overlook some shortcomings (range, etc). Good luck with whatever you choose and you're always welcome to hangout in this forum. :tongue:

Good Lord... He doesn't want one. He doesn't want to hear the rebuttals to his reasoning. He doesn't want to answer specifics about his daily usage (daily mileage - including dining shopping etc.). He doesn't want to use the wife's car on the occasion the S doesn't work for him (totally his choice - I get it). He wants the S to work for him 100% of the time. I think this one's been beaten to death. Time to move on.

Yeah, god forbid we counter ignorance with education on a forum designed entirely around the car he knows nothing about. ( I genuinely hope he doesn't buy the car though. )

i work in Mesa.. Which means I might hit 50 miles round trip, but that's not the point.. Me and my fiancé typically do allot of stuff on the weekend such as

- fine dining, sports events, shopping, errands, visit friends, trips to the park, etc..

That 220 is a downgrade.. Anyway you want to put it.. And charging at night after paying $$$$$ for charging hub/adapters -> I said myself would work but at the end of the day..

That's not going to solve the problem.. You are going to have times where you don't go straight home and straight to work.. It just doesn't work that way.. This weekend was no different than if we hit 2 malls, 1 restaurant, and 2 grocery stores.. That's like every weekend..

You seem incredibly fixated on the maximum range. I'd suggest that you do the following. Keep a log of all your driving for a week or two. Include the times and locations where you stop so you can figure out how much charging time you'd have at home between trips. Based on what you're saying I'd be surprised if you're doing more than 150 miles of driving in a day even with all the errands you're estimating (and that's still probably high, wouldn't be surprised if you weren't closer to under 100 on the weekends since you don't have your 50 mile commute).

If you really are exceeding 240 or so miles of range in a day and don't have a few hours of downtime at home somewhere in there then obvious the car isn't for you. But I think you would fall into a very small minority of people in the US that have those sorts of driving patterns.

In my experience the only time max range matters is when you want to take long trips away from home. For local errands, once you're past 200 miles of range it just doesn't matter. Your situation may very but based on what you've said so far it doesn't seem like you've actually sat down and evaluated it and are basing your decisions based entirely on this max range decrease.

EV would be a dream.. And like others said they agree, tesla needs to address range.. And being educated on it, is not whats lacking here.. I could betcha money those In-store sales employees wouldn't tell ya they only recommend charging to 80% or that you probably will have to shell $1,500 out..

I've never seen Telsa give a single consistent recommended charging level. What I have seen is that they recommend not charging above 90% on a regular basis and that they do recommend that you charge to a level sufficient for what you need to achieve what you're doing (and yes that means charging to 100% if you need to). If you can get around while only charging to 80% that's probably slightly (and I mean very slightly) better than charging to 90%. That said there's a group of people that believe charging to 90% is better because it leads to a better balanced battery (I'm unconvinced of this). So yes Tesla is a bit vague on the recommendations, but I think that's largely because there's very little difference between regular charging at 90% or under it.

Most people on this forum will tell you that an HPWC and dual charger is entirely unnecessary. That they are entirely luxuries. I put in an HPWC and have dual chargers. Based on my experience I didn't really have to do that, but it was convenient (don't have to worry about the UMC being in the car or not). There certainly are people that would need an HWPC and dual chargers at home. But like I said above those people fall into a small minority. Telsa recommends the HPWC if you drive more than 100 miles in a day on a routine basis and they recommend dual chargers if you plan to take trips longer than your range on a regular basis (as the super charger network builds out that will be less necessary since the super charger network doesn't use the chargers in the car).

See this page for details on what Tesla recommends:
Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors

Too me.. And just my opinion.. " don't make me pay more than what I need to "

You do realize that electricity is cheaper than gas and that any up front capital expense you have putting in charging infrastructure will quickly be saved over paying for gas? Now that's also above and beyond the additional cost of the car. Based on your mention of a Nissan Altima it sounds like you wouldn't be buying a $70k+ car anyway. But if you are the charging infrastructure costs are just not that big of a deal if you just put in a NEMA 14-50. They become more significant if you decide you need the HPWC, but like I said above most people don't.

Yeah. Grabs onto incorrect information about charging and range and when asked for specifics to see if range really would be a problem there is that comment. Oh well. Good luck with everything. I think the Altima with its 400 miles per gallon is better suited for your needs.

G'luck to kdICE on his car purchase. Get that credit score up and income as well and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose. Keep in mind the maintenance costs on your new car(whatever it is) as they can easily go above your Nissan's. I had a Porsche for awhile and the $300 oil changes, $700 in tires every 8k miles, gas, maintenance, and repairs was a reality check. I couldn't keep it for more then a couple years. Buying the car was only half the battle I found out.

you need the hub to charge as quickly as possible.. Even other forum members have confirmed that..

The 85kw goes up to 265.. To prevent the battery from becoming a brick.. Tesla recommends 80%, and I'm sure they probably could check the logs of the car to see how much it is being charged and maybe void the warranty if you overcharge to 100%...

KD, you are making statement as if they are fact, when they are assumptions of yours, and incorrect ones at that.
Not charging to 100% does extend the battery life. Doing so certainly does not Brick the battery.
Nowhere does Tesla recommend 80%, their top end of their Daily use graph is about 90% and the warrantee is certainly not voided by charging to 100%.

As for overnight charging, most people don't care how quickly the car charges overnight.
I, for one, don't care if the car finishes charging at 1 am or 5 am. For anyone buying, I generally recommend the NEMA 14-50 that comes with the car. 9 hours, empty to full and even on our longest days with multiple stops and events, I've put maybe 150 miles on the car. So, about 5-6 hours.

Here is an exercise for you, just pretend that each day of your rental you started off with a full "tank". Would that have made any difference?

Before renting, you may have been better served by going to a Tesla store.