Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renting a Y from Hertz?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have rented several EV's from Enterprise and it was never required to return it with a charge. I heard that Hertz was unloading all of their Teslas due to the complications and costs to repair.
They aren't getting rid of Teslas and state they will still buy more, but they won't be a quarter of their fleet due to the increased cost compared to ICE vehicles for repairs.

From the same page:

Well that's annoying. Hopefully there's a super charger near Logan airport? Looks like the closest one is in Revere.
The Supercharger in Revere is actually pretty close to Logan - about 1. 5 miles north? But obviously it's not directly off the Mass Pike, so you need to give some extra effort to get there (assuming you're not coming in from that direction anyway).

For those who asked, yes, they make it easy to pair your phone to the rental. They give you a QR code that does the trick with a minimum of fuss. You can easily erase the link when you return the rental by removing the rental's profile from your phone.

You have access to all of Tesla's features, but you'll probably have to go through the menus to make sure everything is set up to your liking. The inherent problem is that someone - or no one at all - set up the car to their liking beforehand. So if, like me, you have a basic muscle memory of what buttons or features are present in your car you'll need to do some work to get everything to where you're used to it being. Not impossible - and not terribly unlike renting any other car, where you have to spend a minute to find out where the relevant buttons & controls are hidden.

Reactions: cdub
The rideshare part was interesting. I wouldn't have thought they would be any harder on the vehicles than a typical renter.
Rideshare users may be harder on the car and battery. They load and unload luggage more than the average driver, scaping up the bumpers, etc. I noticed the Y I rented showed a lot of scrapes on the rear bumper. They also are more likely to Supercharge above 90% so they can limit the number of times they stop.

There is a Car Rental Company in Europe called Sixt that is cutting down on the number of Teslas in their fleet for some of the same reasons.
I’ve rented from Sixt in Phoenix several times. The last time, a couple months ago, they were offering an upgrade to a BMWX3 for only $25 more per day. I declined, the woman in the line next to me accepted. We ran into each other again in the lot, each of us loading their carry on into a BMW X3.

• Funny
Reactions: jsight
I’ve rented from Sixt in Phoenix several times. The last time, a couple months ago, they were offering an upgrade to a BMWX3 for only $25 more per day. I declined, the woman in the line next to me accepted. We ran into each other again in the lot, each of us loading their carry on into a BMW X3.

It was kind of funny, when I rented from Hertz I choose a full size sedan. During pickup offered to "upgrade" me to a full size SUV at no chargew, which I had zero interest in driving in the city, so I declined. They continued to offer me the SUV throughout the process, which I continued to decline. Eventually they admitted that they had over promised their sedans. I was forced to accept the SUV or to grab an Uber 🤣

Reactions: CyberGus
It was kind of funny, when I rented from Hertz I choose a full size sedan. During pickup offered to "upgrade" me to a full size SUV at no chargew, which I had zero interest in driving in the city, so I declined. They continued to offer me the SUV throughout the process, which I continued to decline. Eventually they admitted that they had over promised their sedans. I was forced to accept the SUV or to grab an Uber 🤣
I had that happen too a few years back, and all they had left was a stinkin Hummer !

Back to the original thread here, the CEO of Hertz was on CNBC, and said that the biggest reason was the diminished residual value of EVs. The whole business model of the rental car business is the margin between acquisition cost and residual value. They want that to be as small as possible. If the residual value drops, they either have to hold the car longer or have a reduced profit.

He mentioned service costs were less except for increased tire replacement costs also.

....Soooo you've taken rental of a car with no QR code and on their website Hertz says ALL rentals now offer Digital Key (Which uses the QR fleet system). If you are still at the rental car center and the car does not have a QR visible on the screen, before you take possession of the car find a representative and inform them they need to reset the car, and erase previous owner (Renter) data. If you are in the middle of a rental you will have to do what I went through yesterday.

Step 1. Exit the car. Lock the car with the key card. Very important, the car cannot have any passengers inside, and has to be locked! Make sure you are not paired/bluetooth is not on, on your phone, else you will need to be out of bluetooth range of the car (30ft).
In my case the QR code was there but the connection process didn't work. Maybe it hit a bug because I tried to connect both of our phones.

At the airport I got the QR code back after exiting and locking the car, but didn't think to get my spouse out of the car and out of Bluetooth range.

It worked fine the next morning, which fits your Step 1.

I got a Model 3 SR as a rental this week from a local Hertz and the QR code popped up. I downloaded the Tesla app, signed into my Tesla account and was able to register the car. It failed the first couple times to register the car, but once I was signed into the app I force quit it in the iPhone task manager, relaunched it, re-scanned the QR code and it worked.