TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Renting an EV in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by ecarfan, Jun 2, 2018.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#1 ecarfan, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Hoping you Kiwi EV enthusiasts can help me out. :) I’m planning a trip to NZ in July 2019, probably about two weeks on the North Island (I’ve spent a few weeks on the South Island in the past) before heading to Tonga to snorkel with humpback whales and do some scuba diving. Considering renting a car and of course do not want an ICE. Would love to rent a Tesla but at US$199/day it is costly for a 10 day rental. Tesla Hire NZ | Electric Vehicle Hire New Zealand | Snap Rentals – Snap Rentals . This company rents Leafs but their range is inadequate for my purposes Electric Vehicles - Rentals, Experience, Service & Sales - Blue Cars Ltd - New Zealand

So am looking for other EVs to rent in NZ and trying to understand the EV charging situation there. Being an American Tesla owner, I’m not familiar with the charging standards in use outside the US.

This company rents the VW e-Golf for about $75/day Europcar Electric Vehicles . It can only go about 110 miles on a charge but I think I could make that work. Their web page says “There are now over 60 fast charging stations in NZ which have the European standard plug (compatible with the e-Golf)”.

I assume that the “European standard plug” is what is known as the Mennekes Type 2 connector? Type 2 connector - Wikipedia

So I assume that rental e-Golf can use CCS/SAE chargers. I’m looking at PlugShare to see how many of those chargers are available on the North Island. Looks like a reasonable amount. But in addition to those chargers I will want to charge where I’m staying overnight. Can an e-Golf charge from a residential outlet, and would that result in a useful amount of range if plugged in overnight for say 12 hours? The battery size is just 36kWh. NZ residential outlets are 220-240V but I can’t find many references for what the typical amperage is. Is it 16A, or less than that? If 16A that would be about 3.6kW which could charge an e-Golf battery overnight.

I found news stories published in 2017 about Snap Rentals offering a Hyundai IoniQ EV but their website doesn’t show that vehicle as being available Vehicle Rent, Vehicle Hire | Snap Rentals NZ – Snap Rentals .

2. Miggy

Miggy Member

Hi, I would go back to Snap Rentals and ask if they could discount for a ten day hire and that would be at NZ$199 not US$199.
    Also see ChargeNet NZ – Electric Vehicle Charging Network for more information on charging in NZ.
    Good luck and unless you want to spend a lot of time at chargers I would go for the Tesla.

3. Lozza12

Lozza12 Member

I agree with Miggy about trying to get a discount on the Tesla. Using an e-Golf is doable but you will be fast charging a lot especially with our hilly countryside. ChargeNet coverage of 50kW DC chademo/CCS is good but not deep, meaning all it takes is 1 other EV to be charging and your journey just took 20-30mins longer.

Slow charging at home or at motels will be 220v AC at 10 amps but wiring can cope with 16 amps, using the caravan/ blue commando socket. Mennekes Type 2 is the offical slow charging standard but 99% of EVs in NZ are second hand Leafs using the J1772/Type 1, so lots of those still about.

Happy to answer any other questions.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#4 ecarfan, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    That’s a good idea, maybe I can get a better daily rate for a long term rental. And thanks for the link to ChargeNet NZ.

My current plan is to stay at one location in the Lake Taupo area and make short day trips from there. Won’t be doing any long driving trips, but of course more range is always better. By summer 2019 there may be more EV rental choices than there are now.
    Thanks, can you give me a link to a page showing that kind of socket? I’m not familiar with it.

5. Lozza12

Lozza12 Member

Staying in Taupo with the Tesla is a smart move because one of our three SC sites is located there (see pic). There is also a 50kW Chademo/CCS there as well.

Blue commando is used for caravans/ Winnebago electricity supply (see pic). My Leaf uses this plug type for mobile charging and is the only way to get 16 amps, other than using a proper EVSE.

Attached Files: