Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renting our wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I installed a wall charger near my car parking lot instead, like many, directly at the wall of the house.
I put my wall charger on plugshare, but I was wondering if Tesla have in its plan an option for us, charger owner, to share to other users and get something in return, like credits for supercharger use or direct paiement.

I see it like :

Owner A (Car + charger) share to Owner B (Car)

Owner A and B have to establish a "contract" where Owner A gives access to its charger to Owner B.
(do wall chargers have unique ID ?)

At this time, Owner A can establish if he want Owner B to pay him directly through app, or if the bill of charge is redirected towards SuperCharger credits.

Owner B's car record the amount of kW charged and notify Owner A of the usage.
Everything is billed and paid accordingly to the owners.

side note : I clearly see a blockchain technology used for this kind of transactions (for the IT guys, out there) :)

What do you think ?
And as I am late to the EV Game, does such system exist already ?

Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Why not creating that utility ?
I would come to a neighbour from another block when I have a black out if his spot is available.
And overnight isn't an issue. Either my to entrance spots are taken (my wife and I) either its free.
Obviously during the day, at least one spot will always be free while we are at work.

So if for any reason, some one cannot make it or need a quick fix, this charger is there for them

I could see that some "at home jobs" owner could lend their charger to their customer and get credits back for their next trip using superchargers...

@Rockster Yes, that is the other real answer to this. Plugshare is a good resource for this. I got my outlet listed on Plugshare over 5 years ago before Superchargers got to our interstate highway, and I got to meet other Tesla travelers from other states, and it was cool. And I got to be on the receiving end of this help too, in a tiny town when were were going there for a concert. I was just pointing out how it's ridiculous to expect Tesla to mediate that.

You could make an electronic tip jar. Generate a QR code for your PayPal address and request a tip of $1/hour or whatever you see fit.

I personally think the electricity isn’t worth haggling about, but if you have frequent visitors (either a single person or many different people), that would be a different thing.

The one time I used a stranger’s home charger that I found on PlugShare, I had made plans a week ahead of time to stop at his place for a couple hours while driving off the Interstate in rural Iowa. I was meeting relatives for lunch while on a road trip. I brought a 6 pack of Spotted Cow beer with me as “payment” and thanked him for the use of his charger, which made my travel day much easier. Turns out, he was a pilot, so he was a fan of Spotted Cow from his trips to Oshkosh, WI for EAA’s fly-in, so it was appreciated.

Hi,

I installed a wall charger near my car parking lot instead, like many, directly at the wall of the house.
I put my wall charger on plugshare, but I was wondering if Tesla have in its plan an option for us, charger owner, to share to other users and get something in return, like credits for supercharger use or direct paiement.

I see it like :

Owner A (Car + charger) share to Owner B (Car)

Owner A and B have to establish a "contract" where Owner A gives access to its charger to Owner B.
(do wall chargers have unique ID ?)

At this time, Owner A can establish if he want Owner B to pay him directly through app, or if the bill of charge is redirected towards SuperCharger credits.

Owner B's car record the amount of kW charged and notify Owner A of the usage.
Everything is billed and paid accordingly to the owners.

side note : I clearly see a blockchain technology used for this kind of transactions (for the IT guys, out there) :)

What do you think ?
And as I am late to the EV Game, does such system exist already ?

Thanks

Here is a startup that is doing just that - AmpUp

Reactions: p1l0t3