Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are in Roaster motor controllers, ~84 of them, with output of 240kw.
Yep, sounded somewhat familiar (I'm aware Tesla used IXYS IGBTs in the Roadster and believe they use them in the Model S)

It's kind of surprising they went for a multi-IGBT solution instead of smaller hybrid modules, like Toyota and GM decided to use for the drive inverters in the Prius and Volt, respectively. This might be because the power output is unrealistic for available IGBT modules.

MOSFETs are a lot easier to put in parallel due to their positive tempco, which means as they get hotter the forward voltage (~RdsON) increases, reducing the current flowing through paralleled devices. Because of this, MOSFETs are a lot easier to connect in parallel, although typically the on-state losses for high drain voltages (dollar-to-dollar with IGBTs) make them impractical or too expensive to use for most high-voltage (>150V) inverters.
Hopefully soon the new tech coming down the pipe (SiC et al) will allow us to start using MOSFETs for high voltages and achieve much better performance than IGBTs. There are some out now that seem like they'd be good candidates, but are super-expensive. Maybe in a few years!

Yep, sounded somewhat familiar (I'm aware Tesla used IXYS IGBTs in the Roadster and believe they use them in the Model S)

It's kind of surprising they went for a multi-IGBT solution instead of smaller hybrid modules, like Toyota and GM decided to use for the drive inverters in the Prius and Volt, respectively. This might be because the power output is unrealistic for available IGBT modules.

Tesla had a blog post about this when developing the Roadster inverter. IIRC they explained the reason why they went with multi-IGBT, but I can't remember what it was.

Tesla had a blog post about this when developing the Roadster inverter. IIRC they explained the reason why they went with multi-IGBT, but I can't remember what it was.

Looks like it no longer exists on the site. In case anyone is interested:

http://web.archive.org/web/20141012210727/http://www.teslamotors.com/roadster/technology/power-electronics-module

Only explains how it works, not really why they chose this particular tech.
Each switch is composed of fourteen insulated gate bipolar transistors, or IGBTs. Without IGBTs, today's advanced electric vehicles would not be possible. In total, 84 IGBTs are used in the Power Electronics Module. Each IGBT is less than one square inch and about a quarter of an inch thick. Inside the IGBT package is a small piece of silicon, about the thickness of a few sheets of paper and a quarter of an inch per side. The total area of IGBT silicon in the entire Power Electronics Module is less than five square inches (about the size of a business card).

Hey Mods!

I want to update my first post with a glossary of events, how do I go about editing my first post? I would hate for people to have to sift through 97 pages of my poor sentence structure and witty banter to figure out when the good stuff starts!

Hey Mods!

I want to update my first post with a glossary of events, how do I go about editing my first post? I would hate for people to have to sift through 97 pages of my poor sentence structure and witty banter to figure out when the good stuff starts!

Assuming a mod doesn't notice your request, you can report your own post! (It worked for me in the past. I guess it's ok to do!) They'll probably add a wiki in between the first and second posts, rather than allow you to edit your first post.

Hey Mods!

You need to be in the supporting member group to get that perk. (IE: Donate)

#PACKLIVESMATTER

FWtVM3k.jpg