Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a thought.

If you replace everything, software wise do you think the Frames VIN would become an issue? The VIN on the frame is your legal future car, but the software and possibly some components might disagree. Maybe it's just a firmware switch that needs to be flipped. But there could also be components that aren't (model year) compatible with the VIN on the frame.

I'd offer $250 + the burrito.

debIIl8.jpg

UPDATE

Ok. now that all the wiring harnesses in the cabin have been removed, its time for a nice soothing bath
in boiling water to melt the remaining salt and debris, this is also a good time to post some photos of
where the black car's interior sits at the moment.

5iUNowt.jpg

i7Xk4hO.jpg

rL3aMfx.jpg

SBDdI7v.jpg

1cWR9oM.jpg

g87Nmvk.jpg

well looky here, this is the center console of the white P85, with water in it (I swear I can't shake cars that
have water in them), this is due to the windshield being smashed and the tarp not doing its job of repelling water

JEDiUod.jpg

water is basically coming right through the glass and onto the floor, well hey, at least its freshwater this time!

Kf6j0ve.jpg

I have to get the mcu out ASAP as I do not want water to ruin that too! Hoping this weekend I can remove the MCU/Dashboard and remaining harnesses out of the white P85 but who knows...

UPDATE

Much of the day I took off yesterday was spent removing the stupid passenger seat, only one of the 4 hex bolts came out on its own, the rest were stripped beyond recognition. So as a result I had to drill through 3 of them. Oh lordy lord, what an experience. Left handed drill bits worked for one of them then decided to self destruct. I used the heavy duty drill bit for drilling hard metal for the other and it got halfway and got so dull it was useless. The last screw I pieced together broken drill bits from other attempts and managed to get it drilled though after about 1 hour.

SoF8muS.jpg

ovm7Rfr.jpg

bits broken to get to that point

h4RcfEH.jpg

carbide drill bits are what you need to drill hardened screws--they cost more but will cut thru nearly anything you would find on a car. cobalt and hss just aren't the right tools for the job...

Fantastic. Where were you a few days ago? I was told by a few sources that cobalt should do the trick....

Oh well. The seat is out and Im making progress. This weekend is hopefully the Drive unit and battery pack!

CHAPTER 2

This weekend marked a moment in this thread's history... This will be the next and final stage of the car rebuild. For the last 3 months I have covered a metric ton of ground considering I only work on this car a few nights a week for a couple hours at a time, but in the last 3 months I have not installed one single part on the black flooded car, none whatsoever, this project hasn't really even started the rebuild phase yet!

Now, It is pretty easy to disassemble a Tesla, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do so, all you need are the right tools and the guts to tear into one of them. However, rebuilding is a completely different game. This is when the pain and suffering actually begins ("wait, where does this go? "where is that screw," "this doesn't line up anymore wtf") I know where many of the things go, but over time I've forgotten where some things go (may have even lost some) and I may have forgotten to take photos in the heat of the moment....

You know how when you were a kid and you took apart the VCR or your dad's fake Rolex he got on a business trip to China? Like you really wanted to see how it worked but once you started putting it back together you lost a few screws as well as your interest.. yeah, this is just like that, except on a much larger and expensive scale.

Over the last few days I made a huge push to put in serious work on the rebuild, I took a day off work and put in about 4 hours to remove the stubborn front passenger seat as well as the passenger side wiring harness.

Well I was planning on putting in another few hours by myself again on Saturday, however I remembered this guy's post

@Btr_ftw If you ever run out of your tireless energy and wit and end up needing a hand, this WPI student would be happy to help...

Then decided to take him up on the offer.......welp. I'm glad I did, the man rented a car and drove an hour just to see my silly little project and lend a hand, when I realized this it just blew my mind....... because, well the last time I rented a car and drove an hour I was trying to get laid, and this guy just kinda did it because he was interested in the project. Unreal.

Well needless to say we got to work right away and in a matter of a few hours we were able to remove the Drive Unit, the HV battery as well as the drivers side main harness that goes to the battery connectors... wow. just wow. This was all in a tow yard with no access to a lift, just jackstands, wood blocks and basic hand tools! I couldn't thank him enough so I bought him burger king and he seemed pretty content with that!

Anyway, thank you kind student, I hope you learned a lot, and I hope you will be thinking of me when you graduate from school and actually purchase a Tesla as opposed to cobbling one kinda working car together from 2 nonworking cars.

Well needless to say we got to work right away and in a matter of a few hours we were able to remove the Drive Unit, the HV battery as well as the drivers side main harness that goes to the battery connectors... wow. just wow. This was all in a tow yard with no access to a lift, just jackstands, wood blocks and basic hand tools! I couldn't thank him enough so I bought him burger king and he seemed pretty content with that!
Burger King? I thought you would've splurged a little more than that. You could have offered up the burrito sprinkled with some sea salt.