TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Replacement air valve caps

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Dbj77, May 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dbj77

Dbj77 Member

Hi- I just bought these to replace the plastic covers, and a comment in the reviews sparks my interest/concern:

Amazon.com: US85 Tesla Black Chrome Auto Car Wheel Tire Air Valve Caps Stem Cover: Automotive

The review:
    "The guys at the service center said not to use these as they're made of metal and will corrode into the valve stem and screw up the TPMS sensor. They look nice and wish I could use them though."

Thoughts? Should we not replace the air valve caps with anything but plastic?

2. CLLACAB

CLLACAB Member

I put these on my car. I'm not concerned.

3. dmb7463

dmb7463 Member

I can confirm this is true, I used to have an Infiniti Q50S and bought the metal ones for it with the logo and overtime in New York they ended up corroding and I could not get them off the tires, had to bring it to the dealership to get off and it broke 2 of the sensors, luckily they gave me a pass on the charge, but told me not to do it again.

4. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

Maybe we should change them periodically, I have these as well and they are really quite well made, had quite a bit or rain so far and havent seen any issues. I do check tire pressure every month as well .

How long did you go without checking tire pressure that you found them to be corroded and attached to the stems? That seems like a maintenance issue more than anything else.

5. dmb7463

dmb7463 Member

It was about a year, the 1st one started sticking but was able to get it off and cleaned it up, but by year 2 I had 2 of them stuck to the wheel. If you take them off a few times a year and clean them you might not run into the problem I did, but from what happened to me I didn't want to do it again.

6. Stillers67

Stillers67 Member

I had the same problem on an Infiniti FX35 several years ago. One of them stuck on and I broke the valve stem off trying to remove the cap. After paying for a new valve stem/TPMS, I've only used plastic caps since.