Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement air valve caps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi- I just bought these to replace the plastic covers, and a comment in the reviews sparks my interest/concern:

Amazon.com: US85 Tesla Black Chrome Auto Car Wheel Tire Air Valve Caps Stem Cover: Automotive

The review:
"The guys at the service center said not to use these as they're made of metal and will corrode into the valve stem and screw up the TPMS sensor. They look nice and wish I could use them though."

Thoughts? Should we not replace the air valve caps with anything but plastic?

Reactions: Tomc62
Maybe we should change them periodically, I have these as well and they are really quite well made, had quite a bit or rain so far and havent seen any issues. I do check tire pressure every month as well .

How long did you go without checking tire pressure that you found them to be corroded and attached to the stems? That seems like a maintenance issue more than anything else.

Maybe we should change them periodically, I have these as well and they are really quite well made, had quite a bit or rain so far and havent seen any issues. I do check tire pressure every month as well .

How long did you go without checking tire pressure that you found them to be corroded and attached to the stems? That seems like a maintenance issue more than anything else.

It was about a year, the 1st one started sticking but was able to get it off and cleaned it up, but by year 2 I had 2 of them stuck to the wheel. If you take them off a few times a year and clean them you might not run into the problem I did, but from what happened to me I didn't want to do it again.

I'm sad to say I found out the hard way about these decorative metal valve stem caps. I put them on about 8 moths ago. Last week I had a flat tire and - while standing on the side of the road - couldn't get the valve stem off to use the Tesla inflator - the metal caps had fused to the valve stem threads. Long story, short - after a flatbed tow to the local Goodyear store for a replacement tire and a subsequent trip to the Rockville Service Center, I learned if they are really fused tightly the only way to get them off is to cut the valve stem and destroy the TPMS unit. That makes these a really expensive aftermarket item.

Reactions: kingleonidas
Yeah - I had them and they started corroding for me too. They do seem well made and look nice, but did corrode. I first “noticed” it when I went to put air in my tires. They were difficult to get off, but I hadn’t had them long so I was able to get them loose and just chalked it up to dried salt and gunk (it was winter). Not too long after that I had my 1 year service appointment and when I went to pick up the car they handed me a ziplock bag with all four in there, clearly mangled where they fought to get them off and strongly suggested I don’t use metal caps because if they were on there much longer it would have destroyed the stem. Back to plastic for me. — Dan

I have seen (a long time ago, in a place far, far away) aftermarket valve stem caps that were high-grade stainless steel. I've also seen them that were aluminum, but with a plastic insert for the threads. Either one of these constructions would be a viable solution. As you can imagine, they cost more though.

Yeah - I had them and they started corroding for me too. They do seem well made and look nice, but did corrode. I first “noticed” it when I went to put air in my tires. They were difficult to get off, but I hadn’t had them long so I was able to get them loose and just chalked it up to dried salt and gunk (it was winter). Not too long after that I had my 1 year service appointment and when I went to pick up the car they handed me a ziplock bag with all four in there, clearly mangled where they fought to get them off and strongly suggested I don’t use metal caps because if they were on there much longer it would have destroyed the stem. Back to plastic for me. — Dan

+1 - They will corrode, especially if you live in an state with cold/snow/freezing rain - winters coming!! Spend $10 on Amazon or switch out those solid OEM caps from other car before trade-in!

You can thank me later... :cool:
DO00-Neon-Blue-Strobe-LED-Tire-Valve-Caps-DIY.jpg_640x640.jpg

Hi- I just bought these to replace the plastic covers, and a comment in the reviews sparks my interest/concern:

Amazon.com: US85 Tesla Black Chrome Auto Car Wheel Tire Air Valve Caps Stem Cover: Automotive

The review:
"The guys at the service center said not to use these as they're made of metal and will corrode into the valve stem and screw up the TPMS sensor. They look nice and wish I could use them though."

Thoughts? Should we not replace the air valve caps with anything but plastic?

I put these on my car. I'm not concerned.
I wasn't concerned either. And then I had a concern:
upload_2018-5-22_11-47-50.png

I wonder for those who had their metallic air caps seized onto the valve stems... Do you not remove them monthly to check with tire pressure and pump air if necessary? I don't have the metallic caps yet on my Model 3, but I have something similar on another car of mine and they haven't seized up, gone through more than 4 different seasons a year (yes to rain and snow) and all 4 twisted off just fine.