Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Drive Unit fluid (atf-9?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can probably dig up the "official" instructions. My entire life I've just drained and filled to the top of the fill hole.
The official instructions are complex and need many special tools. You pump fluid out with the internal oil pump using an external power pack and custom filter adapter, you put a specific amount back in, you run the pumps some to get it all moved around, you suck some fluid out, then you use a special tool dipstick to check the level.

Nothing in the manual says you just fill to a hole and move on. So checking exactly how much you take out and putting that amount back in sounds a lot easier.

The official instructions are complex and need many special tools. You pump fluid out with the internal oil pump using an external power pack and custom filter adapter, you put a specific amount back in, you run the pumps some to get it all moved around, you suck some fluid out, then you use a special tool dipstick to check the level.

Nothing in the manual says you just fill to a hole and move on. So checking exactly how much you take out and putting that amount back in sounds a lot easier.
The last part is what throws me for a loop. Anyone can get a 12V power supply from Costco & run the pump, and then dump a bit w/o the adapter (at the expense of probably making a mess).

Reactions: Lindenwood
I think the "suck some fluid out: part is the important one. The instructions actually have you over-fill the drive unit, then extract a bit using a custom adapter that draws fluid internally from a level that is lower than the fill hole.

At least that's what I get from the instructions. You can interpret it yourself:

Front: Tesla MODEL 3 SERVICE MANUAL: GEARBOX FLUID - FRONT DRIVE UNIT (DRAIN AND REFILL)
Rear: Tesla MODEL 3 SERVICE MANUAL: GEARBOX - REAR DRIVE UNIT (REMOVE AND REPLACE)
I love that somebody uploaded this. We need to continue spreading this knowledge otherwise my ownership of this car will be relatively short-lived. I can't stand Tesla's "**** you" approach to DIY, as it seems to be shaping up... Every tech I've encountered both remote & SC seems to be pretty cool, though.

Anyway, that's my understanding, too. So basically, it sounds like with a simple drain & refill, you may not be replacing *all* of the fluid, but probably most. I recall someone on here (maybe you?) was saying that their mechanic noticed that every one he came across had a rear unit that was under-filled and front unit that was over-filled. Or maybe it was the other way around? I'd be curious to know how this mechanic knew this.

Also, given that there's no "drain hole" - what are people doing? Just removing the filter and letting it gravity drain out?

Finally... I came across some parts list...

1623879280481.png

I love that somebody uploaded this
Fixyourtesla.com is awesome, and needs more attention. We need to link it every time we can. I hope it survives- I'm with you, I won't ever buy another Tesla if they don't allow service information to be public.

I've never refilled the fluid or checked it. Just reporting what I found in the service manuals. It does however appear that if you want to drain them, popping off the oil filter and running the pump off of 12V with some alligator clips and a battery would do it, maybe just make a bit of a mess.

Someone should get the gearbox dipstick tool and we could make a 3D model of it that people could 3D print.

FYI, I linked the wrong thing for the rear:

Reactions: Theraven
Yep, this is exactly correct. Conventional transmissions have clutch packs that slowly wear over time, so the fluid has to deal with this clutch material. I've never been one to buy off on lifetime fluids in most cases, but for these cars is probably pretty accurate.

Me being me, I would opt to change around 100,000 miles to ensure the best possible lubrication of these expensive components going out of warranty. I don't think the motor would care, though. It would make me feel better, though, and for a nominal cost probably worthwhile in my eyes.
The lifetime of a car for a manufacturer IS 100,000 miles. I would not wait for the fluid to completely break down to change it. I am going to change it between 40k and 50k regardless of what manufacturer says.

The lifetime of a car for a manufacturer IS 100,000 miles. I would not wait for the fluid to completely break down to change it. I am going to change it between 40k and 50k regardless of what manufacturer says.
The lifetime fluid means the lifetime of the component, once it failed it has ended its lifetime! :)

Any oil/lubricant once opened and expose to the air, moisture and heat will start to break down/oxidize(I have seen oil with and without a shelf life so it does expire even sealed), not to mention the mechanical loads in the drive unit break down the shear stability of the oil. Tesla engineers designed a filter into the drive unit for a reason, even if it's just for the break-in period. I have done both my drive unit fluids at 15K. The rear drive unit fluid was dirty whereas the front was not. Blackstone lab test didn't reveal much but aluminum is high likely from break-in. Will send in another sample at 30K miles. If the aluminum stays high that could mean a wear trend. The fluid wasn't overly acidic nor was any moisture detected, that is good to know. Viscosity also stay in the relative range of an ATF.

• Informative
Reactions: Theraven and tm1v2
Any oil/lubricant once opened and expose to the air, moisture and heat will start to break down/oxidize(I have seen oil with and without a shelf life so it does expire even sealed), not to mention the mechanical loads in the drive unit break down the shear stability of the oil. Tesla engineers designed a filter into the drive unit for a reason, even if it's just for the break-in period.
How does a filter limit oxidation or improve shear stability?
Oil filters are there to prevent metal from using the oil to move around, nothing to do with the oil itself.

I tried to purchase some oil from a Tesla SC in the UK and apart from apologising after telling me they cannot sell ATF over the counter, they did send these pics of the oil they use.
Odd that it clearly states made in South Korea yet the the label on top states its of USA origin.
Does anyone know of an equivalent in the UK? Would an ATF-9 from another supplier be ok to use? The number 9 seems to denote the number of gears in the box the oil is designed for.
I am installing a Model 3 rear motor in to a Lotus Evora chassis. The motor came drained of oil.

Attachments

• 20220408_124248.jpg
    20220408_124248.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 1,175
  • 20220408_124255.jpg
    20220408_124255.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 228
Reactions: David Harvey
has anyone tried this?

It's interesting that it is advertised as 7+ but satisfies Tesla ATF9.

I tried to purchase some oil from a Tesla SC in the UK and apart from apologising after telling me they cannot sell ATF over the counter, they did send these pics of the oil they use.
Odd that it clearly states made in South Korea yet the the label on top states its of USA origin.
Does anyone know of an equivalent in the UK? Would an ATF-9 from another supplier be ok to use? The number 9 seems to denote the number of gears in the box the oil is designed for.
I am installing a Model 3 rear motor in to a Lotus Evora chassis. The motor came drained of oil.
Did you have any luck and if so, what did you use in the end?