Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Tires for 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2. I didn't. You did. Also, are you saying that Michelin is low quality?
Nope never did confuse them (did you read my post? "Don’t confuse quantity with quality. Neither is necessarily related or indicative of the other"
- you seemed to, though:
The off second and third tier brands are strong with this one.
Michelin is about 15 times larger than Nokian. They're somewhere around the 15th largest tire company in the world. That makes Nokian what tier then?
If you were strictly commenting on size and not quality then why didn't you ever bother to come out and say so? The fact that you didn't, despite several posts and the fact that you kept doubling down on the size of the companies leads to the conclusion that you equate size (or 'tier') with quality.

Got the winter tires on today, so now I can get my inspection done and pass. Starting to look for all season or spring/summer only tires to replace the quadratracs. Any thoughts? I’d prefer not to spend 1600 for the Michelin, are summer tires worth it or too niche for the NE?

The suspension will break in over the first 3000 miles or so. Experiment with the tire pressure. Many prefer setting the tire pressure (measured when the tires are cold, not been driven for 3 hours) down to 38 PSI. Some, myself included set the tire pressure to 43, 44 or 45 PSI and have found that the ride improves. You will have to experiment a little, then decide.

There is nothing wrong with the OE Continental Procontact RX tire. The Contisilent foam liner makes repairing the tire in the event of a puncture more work for the repair shop. The Procontact RX has good rolling efficiency. That is probably why Tesla chose to use the tire on the Long Range Model Y. The Procontact RX tires are not very good when driving on snow and ice but that should not be a problem in Florida.
It not harder to fix
Its a foam you cut if up and tape it back
That what is wrong with interwebs. Reader beware

Tired to look through the thread but didn't see anything.

For the people that are on the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s, do you guys have the stretched look? Almost looks like the tire is smaller than the rim. I've been on the Facebook groups and see some people stating that the Michelin tires are narrower than the stock Conti's.

Tired to look through the thread but didn't see anything.

For the people that are on the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s, do you guys have the stretched look? Almost looks like the tire is smaller than the rim. I've been on the Facebook groups and see some people stating that the Michelin tires are narrower than the stock Conti's.
Yes, the Michelin PS A/S 4s are much narrower at the rim, with the rim much more exposed to curb rash. I wish I had gone wider, to a 275/45 X 19. Of course, efficiency is compromised with more tread on the pavement.

Oh man, you’d be pushing the limit with that. My guess would be some rub with stock gemini wheels. Im running 275/45r19 on stock gemini and theres no rub but my diameter is only 28.7inches whereas yours would be 29.4inches.
Which brand tires did you get and what's your efficiency Wh/Mile with 275/45R19 compared to your efficiency with stock tires?

How's the curb rash protection? Did you curb the wheels after getting the wider tires?

My 2021 Model Y is at 32,000 miles and needs new tires. I haven't seem much discussion on replacement options. Obviously I can put the same OEM Continental ProContacts back on. I did see Goodyear released the Electric Drive GT - apparently targeted directly at the Model Y (based on the initial tire size they released). I see Toyo Celsius is available in the 255/45R19 size too - .
Anyone gotten new tires yet? Any favorites?
How much is cost for the tires?

2023 Model Y LR picked up last week. After looking at i1Tesla Overlanding and reading thru all the posts on here I was attempting to get that Overlanding look. Was hopeful that Falken 255/55/R19 might fit, was pretty confident that 255/50/R19 would fit.
Neither fit. Both touched suspension knuckle.
Seems that T-Sportline has tested 275/45 R18 with a .35 offset that fit, but obviously smaller wheel and offset change gets it away from Performance Brakes and Suspension knuckle.

Not ready to change wheels yet (still have to pay Sales Tax on purchase), so not sure what options are left with 19" wheel.

2023 Model Y LR picked up last week. After looking at i1Tesla Overlanding and reading thru all the posts on here I was attempting to get that Overlanding look. Was hopeful that Falken 255/55/R19 might fit, was pretty confident that 255/50/R19 would fit.
Neither fit. Both touched suspension knuckle.
Seems that T-Sportline has tested 275/45 R18 with a .35 offset that fit, but obviously smaller wheel and offset change gets it away from Performance Brakes and Suspension knuckle.

Not ready to change wheels yet (still have to pay Sales Tax on purchase), so not sure what options are left with 19" wheel.
I found no real options for an offroad type tire on 19" wheels.
I went to 18" Model 3 Aero wheels, bought as takeoffs from a TMC seller here. BFG Trail-Terrain 255/55/18. Excellent tire/wheel setup. NO OFFSETS
I am not a fan of T-Sportline wheels. heavy. If you want offroad wheels, look at METHOD 502 (? IIRC) But again, 18 inch.

use this website to help

Reactions: DrGriz
What is the purported benefit of the Goodyear Elec Dr tires over regular tires?
long-lasting high performance all-season tire with SoundComfort Technology® and extra load capacity added for Electric Vehicles.
  • 40,000 mi./65,000 km
  • Quiet Ride​

Quiet ride at various speeds throughout the life of the tire.
  • Asymmetric Tread Pattern​

Offers confident all-season handling for wet or dry roads.
  • Specialized Tread Compound​

Provides reliable tread life.
That is not a bad treadlife warrantee. Don't know yet if I will be buying these, but I will certainly consider them.

I was considering replacing OEM tires with Wildpeaks in 255/50/R19. I'm surprised your're saying they don't fit as there is a whole thread about Vredstein Quatrac pros in the same size fitting with no issues: 255/50r19 quatrac pro on Gemeni w pics
29" diameter tire is right close to the limit, which has been in the past determined as 29.25 to the knuckle.
with that additional diameter also comes the potential for fender interference at full lock steering.

if the car has been lowered, if the new suspension bits Tesla has put out are much different....anything can be a variable.
here's the calculator for the OEM vs taller tire

Reactions: DrGriz
29" diameter tire is right close to the limit, which has been in the past determined as 29.25 to the knuckle.
with that additional diameter also comes the potential for fender interference at full lock steering.

if the car has been lowered, if the new suspension bits Tesla has put out are much different....anything can be a variable.
here's the calculator for the OEM vs taller tire

I know what the diameter is and no one has had an issue with a 29" diameter tire.

@MountainPass put on 245/55/R19 tires that barely rub and there are many others here who have 245/60/18 tires which are 29.6"

For now I'm focused on an 19" tire. Discount tried BFG All Terrains and Falken Wildpeaks 255/55/R19, and they didn't fit (weren't even close).

255/55/R19 may fit with a more "rounded" road tire. But the square shoulders/deep tread of the All Terrain Tire is a little wider as well as taller. The Discount guy said that the suspension approach is at a 60 degree angle (and arches toward the tire a bit) rather than 90 degrees. So the height and width both matter approaching that knuckle.

I know what the diameter is and no one has had an issue with a 29" diameter tire.

@MountainPass put on 245/55/R19 tires that barely rub and there are many others here who have 245/60/18 tires which are 29.6"
YMMV
this is a blog, it's not gospel

in my experience, there's no 19" off-road tire that's reasonable to me and that fits without suspension mod.

Last edited: