Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement wheel covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jimmy24

Feb 26, 2023
uk
Hi all

I was just looking for some advice and information
I have bought some black wheel covers for my Y Gemini wheels from eBay. They are the same design as the ones that come with the car however the clips are different.
I have been looking online at people who have replaced their wheel covers and they all have the same design as what I’ve bought from ebay
However the wheel covers that I have got from Tesla have different clips on them. Is there a reason why the clips are different?

Also, the eBay clips have a piece of plastic in between the clips which prevents the clip from attaching to the wheel, however again on the videos I’ve seen this piece of plastic is on all the wheel covers, even the original Tesla ones that they take off their cars in the videos.
The wheels I have underneath the covers are the standard 19” wheels from Tesla and are the same as in all the videos I’ve seen
So really my question is, am I being dumb or is there something wrong with the wheel covers?

I have attached a few images to hopefully help explain

Many thanks
James
3C0BC77F-F27E-4242-8C10-254CF2A952A6.jpeg
0384D40D-BE56-4CE5-AD26-F213DF973D17.jpeg
801C63A4-825A-4BC9-BD91-42D098C1C4FB.jpeg
2554F2BA-B76A-4654-92E9-8D6D26790095.jpeg
6DD7F072-7125-4437-89E1-565895E8FB83.jpeg

Not me but the wheels look good without covers. I’m not a fan of the black or dark wheel covers and will start by just getting the center cap and lug caps. I know, aerodynamics of the originals does help. Anyone want to trade my black for something silver or white?

Attachments

• FD8D5CBF-4752-498A-A6C5-8B7A177064A2.jpeg
    FD8D5CBF-4752-498A-A6C5-8B7A177064A2.jpeg
    550.4 KB · Views: 239
Reactions: alexcue
That's correct. The butterfly clips go in between 2 spokes. So the plastic piece touches the wheels. The metal clips is just for extra strength of the clips, but doesn't touch your wheel. Just line up the tire valve stem and it should be pretty obvious.

Not me but the wheels look good without covers. I’m not a fan of the black or dark wheel covers and will start by just getting the center cap and lug caps. I know, aerodynamics of the originals does help. Anyone want to trade my black for something silver or white?
Did you go with the Telsa OEM Center Cap and Lug set or another product?

You can buy a center cap kit inexpensively from Amazon. Tesla sells one as well. Comes with a cap for the center hole and lug nut covers.
Yeah, I see a zillion of them on Amazon - cheap, but at least some reviews saying they break. I guess I can try it, and spring for the Tesla one if I get much breakage. At least one of the after-mkt ones is flat black, which I like more than any logo.