Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing headlight assemblies. DIY friendly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All -

I just took my 2016 (post refresh) Model S to the service center for routine maintenance and unfortunately didn't realize how close I was getting to the 50,000 warranty. I made the appointment at something like 50,150 so none of the other issues I wanted them to look at are covered.

The LED "trim" around my headlights are both burning out. On both sides only about half of the LED's light up. It's not a problem functionally but those lights look really cool and when they aren't working it looks like butt. Tesla wants $2500 to replace the set.

I see on eBay I can get them for about $200 each.

You can obviously see where this is going. How hard is it to replace these assemblies? I can't find any videos or anything on how to accomplish this. Can anybody provide some input?

Hi All -

I just took my 2016 (post refresh) Model S to the service center for routine maintenance and unfortunately didn't realize how close I was getting to the 50,000 warranty. I made the appointment at something like 50,150 so none of the other issues I wanted them to look at are covered.

The LED "trim" around my headlights are both burning out. On both sides only about half of the LED's light up. It's not a problem functionally but those lights look really cool and when they aren't working it looks like butt. Tesla wants $2500 to replace the set.

I see on eBay I can get them for about $200 each.

You can obviously see where this is going. How hard is it to replace these assemblies? I can't find any videos or anything on how to accomplish this. Can anybody provide some input?

Did you ask about a goodwill on the headlight? You are 150 miles out of your warranty. I think any reasonable person would agree all of those LEDs likely didn’t fail in the last couple of days.

Reactions: P100D_Me
remove front bumper, screws/clips along the bottom and 2 screws on side to fenders

headlight held on by 4 bolts

you will need a 12" extension for one of the bolts

I saw a video about removing the bumper. I could manage that if getting the headlights out is easy afterward.

Would it be worth paying for the extended warranty? I might have this wrong, but I believe you have a certain amount of time/miles after your original warranty expires to make a decision.

Yes, you have 1,000 miles. I made the appointment at 50,150. Waited about 2 weeks to get in and now I'm at about 51,250. So no, I can't extend the warranty anymore. Guess I should've called in to make the appointment instead of using the app -- perhaps that option would have been suggested then.

Yep, you have to redeploy the firmware for the lights to function properly. (Someone here recently wrote up how to do that, but it requires a custom Ethernet cable.)

Well that sucks. Probably not going to try that.

Did you ask about a goodwill on the headlight? You are 150 miles out of your warranty. I think any reasonable person would agree all of those LEDs likely didn’t fail in the last couple of days.

Yeah, I did ask and there was no consideration at all. I've just sent an e-mail via tesla.com to see if we can work something out. I realize I should have been watching closer but it would seem reasonable.

There are two things that bug me about the situation. First, the vehicle's mileage is hidden behind a menu so you don't get that reminder without going to look for it. I would have guessed my mileage was around 45,000 but got surprised. Second, I live a couple hours from my service center and so I try to save up a few issues if they aren't urgent to save me hours and hours and hours of driving back and forth for every little thing. Guess that really bit me in the butt on this one.

Wonder if you could get Tesla SC to simply redeploy the firmware for you after you did the full installation of the new lights. With the right equipment and knowledge my guess is it’s a 5 minute process for them.
Maybe they would cut you some slack or at least make it cheap enough to be worthwhile?

Redeploying doesn't seem too hard and it looks like you don't even need root.

On that note, does the headlight have its own microcontroller inside or something? If it's just a dumb headlight you shouldn't need to redeploy.

I can't think you need to redeploy for headlights when there are aftermarket headlights sellers.. there is a firmware version on the headlight though

I just had my headlight replaced by a mobil tech and there was NO redeployment of firmware. This is actually my 3rd, headlight, had the running fans in my first 2, and LEDs failing on 3rd one. Facelift 2016 P90D

Was the "running fans" a thing? Cause I noticed a funny noise every few minutes when I first bought my car. The mobile tech was out send we noticed it was from the headlights. I was upgraded to the newest directional headlights, and no issue since, except the burnt out DRL's.

Was the "running fans" a thing? Cause I noticed a funny noise every few minutes when I first bought my car. The mobile tech was out send we noticed it was from the headlights. I was upgraded to the newest directional headlights, and no issue since, except the burnt out DRL's.

It was for a number of 2016 facelift cars, right after the bumper change was made. It drove me crazy for a number of months.

Reactions: Utahken