Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing the headrest in the model 3/S-Maybe this helps someone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the head rest in all Tesla's have to be one of the most ridiculous parts of the whole car.

Maybe this post will help someone out there.

They are unadjustable which is complely insane (I have a very tall sitting height)

They are very narrow necessitating one driver position which is very fatiguing for the human body over long periods of time (no oportunites to adjust seat position, circulation, ect.)

So, I went to the local junkyard (yes, you read that right, get used to Tesla ownership!) and choose a couple of headrests that matched my interior color and bar width specifications.

I am very much more happy with these headrests, my neck is really thanking me after a long road trip. These may not be perfect because I may take them to a machine shop to get them bent back a bit (but there are already SOOOOO much better than the Tesla ones.

I used velro tape for the seat back to get it to stick back up. I actually had to gorilla glue the velcro tape onto the seat and seat back becuase in hot temps the velcro tape did not cut it. (you could also take the head rest to a machine shop to get it the bars extended so they hold up the seat back as they should.

If you find a head rest that you like and does't fit into the seat, you could take it to a machine shop with the orginal head rest and have them retrofit the new one to work

Here is a pict of my final product. I pulled these off an older BMW.

Note to Tesla: Hey, you make a pretty amazing car when it comes to autonomous driving and electric/batt technology. Your car sucks in many other ways. Keep the things you do well and copy other auto manufactures who have been doing the rest for a 100 years or so (ergonomics, seats, steering wheels, ect) and you will be much better off.
PXL_20230505_171210632.jpg

PXL_20230505_172616000.jpg

Disagree, whether you want to call it a headrest or a head restraint it's going to be best for your head to be on it in the case of a collision especially getting rear-ended. This will protect your neck much better if your head is already placed on the restraint rather than receiving whiplash as your head is slammed into the restraight. This seems pretty straightforward.

They are technically not head rests but head restraints. Your head should not be contacting them or resting on them while driving.
Having the head restraint positioned closer to your head improves its protection in rear end crash whiplash situations.

The IIHS downgrades adjustable head restraints that can be adjusted too low and too far back from the test dummy's head, because most drivers apparently do not adjust them properly. Car companies have responded with head restraints that are non-adjustable or have limited adjustability, but that leaves some drivers complaining about their positioning (drivers who keep the seat back closer to vertical are more likely to complain about the head restraint being too far forward).

Compared to the IIHS' dummy, the Model 3 front seat head restraint is 15mm behind the head, and 3mm taller than the head (IIHS rated "good" for geometry). But drivers with different body shapes compared to the IIHS' dummy may have different geometry to the head restraint.

Just proves that you can't make everybody happy. No matter what you do.

Yeah. I find the ergonomics, seats, steering wheel, and those head pillows all to be very comfortable.

Although I *do* agree with the OP in some cases regarding just copying the legacy manufacturers. The wipers on my previous car (entry-level Chevy) were much better.

That's the consequence of innovation... sometimes things will be worse. I'd still take the Model 3 over *any* other car in the world right now.

That is going to make your insurance happy in annaccident, non-original safety devices.
Pick your poison i guess I wouldn't say that driving in a very uncomfortable position as a very tall person is very safe either. I doubt this would be an insurance issue they are still had restraints and they fit very solidly. I'd rather be in a comfortable driving position as far as safety is concerned

Reactions: Skavatar
So the head rest in all Tesla's have to be one of the most ridiculous parts of the whole car.

Maybe this post will help someone out there.

They are unadjustable which is complely insane (I have a very tall sitting height)

They are very narrow necessitating one driver position which is very fatiguing for the human body over long periods of time (no oportunites to adjust seat position, circulation, ect.)

So, I went to the local junkyard (yes, you read that right, get used to Tesla ownership!) and choose a couple of headrests that matched my interior color and bar width specifications.

I am very much more happy with these headrests, my neck is really thanking me after a long road trip. These may not be perfect because I may take them to a machine shop to get them bent back a bit (but there are already SOOOOO much better than the Tesla ones.

I used velro tape for the seat back to get it to stick back up. I actually had to gorilla glue the velcro tape onto the seat and seat back becuase in hot temps the velcro tape did not cut it. (you could also take the head rest to a machine shop to get it the bars extended so they hold up the seat back as they should.

If you find a head rest that you like and does't fit into the seat, you could take it to a machine shop with the orginal head rest and have them retrofit the new one to work

Here is a pict of my final product. I pulled these off an older BMW.

Note to Tesla: Hey, you make a pretty amazing car when it comes to autonomous driving and electric/batt technology. Your car sucks in many other ways. Keep the things you do well and copy other auto manufactures who have been doing the rest for a 100 years or so (ergonomics, seats, steering wheels, ect) and you will be much better off.
May actually file a NHTSA complaint about the headrest or the head restraints on this car because I do not think they are adjustable enough to fit a broad enough spectrum of body types in a safe and comfortable fashion.

Pick your poison i guess I wouldn't say that driving in a very uncomfortable position as a very tall person is very safe either. I doubt this would be an insurance issue they are still had restraints and they fit very solidly. I'd rather be in a comfortable driving position as far as safety is concerned
While your DIY looks impressive, I hope you have a big name insurer. Any smaller insurance company is gonna seize on that like a dog on a bone to deny or reduce any claim you make. Guaranteed. And the onus is gonna be on you to prove that your installation was just as 'safe' (however that's defined) as the original configuration.

While your DIY looks impressive,

Agreed.

I hope you have a big name insurer. Any smaller insurance company is gonna seize on that like a dog on a bone to deny or reduce any claim you make. Guaranteed.

Guaranteed exactly how?

And the onus is gonna be on you to prove that your installation was just as 'safe' (however that's defined) as the original configuration.

There are 3 types of insurance coverages that most folks procure:
  1. Liability Coverages (coverage paid to others when you are at fault for a covered loss).
  2. Personal Coverages (coverage for you and your passengers)
    1. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury
    2. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Property Damage
    3. Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
  3. Vehicle Coverage (what most folk talk about when they talk about vehicle coverage). This may include:
    1. Comprehensive
    2. Glass Deductible
    3. Collision
    4. Towing
    5. Rental
    6. New Car Replacement
    7. Loan/Lease Gap Coverage
The only one on the above list that might (theoretically) be a subject of debate is 2.3 - PIP.
Incidentally, it's the most useless portion of the coverage, since your personal insurance is ALWAYS better than the bare bones coverage offered by PIP.
In other words, PIP is worthless if you have medical insurance coverage of any kind.

Consequently, the scare mongering about insurance implications of interior modifications are of equal value to that of PIP.

a