Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Report yourself high mileage and repairs to date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another update at 93,500 miles. I am hoping these will be major repairs that will be the last for a while so that I can drive and enjoy the X in peace. With that said I’m sure the right control arm will go out next.

Covered under Xcare:
-Front left control arm (service said they are surprised it lasted this long) $1546
-Both front half shafts $1636
-Unresolved FWD sensing obstacles that don’t exist $700 so far and 3 appts within 45 days (door sensor, spine cover w/ sensor and now back in getting repaired)

Out of pocket:
-Leaking right rear quarter panel window $700

2017 X P100D, MCU1 w/ FSD 2.5, 7 seater w/ tow package, warranty until March '26, bought for $70k shipped from NJ at 96K in Jun '21 but currently at 110k. I was able to get the PO to email Tesla to release prior records to me so I've got a full history :)

Prior owner, all done at dealership:
19k - RH FWD latch and cinch motor replaced, RH steering wheel knob, windshield washer check valve
40k - RH upper control arm
44k - front and rear brakes, drivers door release actuator
50k - FSD 2.5 retrofit, rerouted main front harness from a TSB
63k - LH upper control arm, wiper blades
65k - replaced the 22's w/ 20's since she couldn't keep it off curbs :-/
74k - 12v battery, front and rear brakes
87k - front PTC heater
89k - reseal front upper ball joints, wiper blades
91k - lower steering column u-joint

Myself, all done by myself:
100k - passenger door release actuator, spring-loaded trunk latch cover, Hansshow frunk actuators and trunk kick sensor

We own 9 vehicles so I do all my own work but I've got an appt this week at the dealership for the free eMMC upgrade, front halfshafts and clevis to get done since I showed them SB-21-39-001 and they've agreed I only have to pay $350, then I'm letting them do the upper control arms again for $150 this time since they're squeaking and they'll already in there for the halfshafts.

Overall it's been an amazing vehicle to own, fun and fast...I'd replace a few of our cars with another Tesla if I didn't enjoy an exhaust note every once in a while still. Hopefully the Model 2 comes out soon since Tesla is supposedly gonna ask around $25k for them, which is the average price of a 50K+ Model 3.

Last edited:
2017 X P100D, MCU1 w/ FSD 2.5, 7 seater w/ tow package, warranty until March '26, bought for $70k shipped from NJ at 96K in Jun '21 but currently at 110k. I was able to get the PO to email Tesla to release prior records to me so I've got a full history :)

Prior owner, all done at dealership:
19k - RH FWD latch and cinch motor replaced, RH steering wheel knob, windshield washer check valve
40k - RH upper control arm
44k - front and rear brakes, drivers door release actuator
50k - FSD 2.5 retrofit, rerouted main front harness from a TSB
63k - LH upper control arm, wiper blades
65k - replaced the 22's w/ 20's since she couldn't keep it off curbs :-/
74k - 12v battery, front and rear brakes
87k - front PTC heater
89k - reseal front upper ball joints, wiper blades
91k - lower steering column u-joint

Myself, all done by myself:
100k - passenger door release actuator, spring-loaded trunk latch cover, Hansshow frunk actuators and trunk kick sensor

We own 9 vehicles so I do all my own work but I've got an appt this week at the dealership for the free eMMC upgrade, front halfshafts and clevis to get done since I showed them SB-21-39-001 and they've agreed I only have to pay $350, then I'm letting them do the upper control arms again for $150 this time since they're squeaking and they'll already in there for the halfshafts.

Overall it's been an amazing vehicle to own, fun and fast...I'd replace a few of our cars with another Tesla if I didn't enjoy an exhaust note every once in a while still. Hopefully the Model 2 comes out soon since Tesla is supposedly gonna ask around $25k for them, which is the average price of a 50K+ Model 3.
It seems like a lot of the repairs are pretty consistent, but the miles somewhat vary. Having that extended warranty will be great. I had the eMMC upgrade a while back, but it still bricked now and then while driving and due to screen edges bubbling I replaced to the full MCU2 for around $1800 (I think). Could have replaced just the screen under warranty, but figured the new MCU would workout better in the long run. Good luck!

It seems like a lot of the repairs are pretty consistent, but the miles somewhat vary. Having that extended warranty will be great. I had the eMMC upgrade a while back, but it still bricked now and then while driving and due to screen edges bubbling I replaced to the full MCU2 for around $1800 (I think). Could have replaced just the screen under warranty, but figured the new MCU would workout better in the long run. Good luck!
Yeah, I'm thankful for the warranty considering the year and mileage vs little dinky stuff I can do myself.

I didn't request the eMMC upgrade, they told me they just randomly had some in stock so o figures why not. Our screen works great, no leaks, just laugh..hopefully some more memory will help. I'd be interested in MCU2 if, IMHO, it was so stupidly overpriced. Screen size being moot, I upgraded the stock 8.8" stereo in my X5M to something that's 12.3", full Android OS, Waze, YouTube Danced, etc etc for $500 vs MCU2 only gives me a snappier screen than the current one, adds few more apps but still can't run Waze, CarPlay, mirroring, etc yet costs 4x as much doesn't add up to me. I can only hope they'll keep dropping the price but odds aren't good since it's gone from $2500 to $1500 and back up to $1750 for some unknown reason, all while still losing radio...which I don't use, but that's not the point for me, it's the principle of charging more for less.

Reactions: TigerTan
2018 MX 100D, 7 seats, 40,000 miles

Warranty items:
• repair AC/battery coolant leak
• replace falcon door sensor
• replace windshield
• replace front fender garnish, both sides
• adjust one front fender garnish (probably will be replaced again)
• UV treatment for touchscreen yellow border
• replace 12v battery @ 3.5 years

Recalls:
• remove gap hiding seals
• reroute main front body harness
• reseal front upper control arm ball joints

Paid:
• repair tire puncture (vandalism)
• replace key fob (wife ran it over)
• replace tire (wife hit a curb)
• new tires and alignment @ 36,000 miles
• replace filters and desiccant bag, check brake fluid
• replace windshield (rock chip; not under warranty this time)

Other companies vacuum and wipe up after themselves, but that apparently isn't included in Tesla service...

Reactions: TigerTan
Yeah, I'm thankful for the warranty considering the year and mileage vs little dinky stuff I can do myself.

I didn't request the eMMC upgrade, they told me they just randomly had some in stock so o figures why not. Our screen works great, no leaks, just laugh..hopefully some more memory will help. I'd be interested in MCU2 if, IMHO, it was so stupidly overpriced. Screen size being moot, I upgraded the stock 8.8" stereo in my X5M to something that's 12.3", full Android OS, Waze, YouTube Danced, etc etc for $500 vs MCU2 only gives me a snappier screen than the current one, adds few more apps but still can't run Waze, CarPlay, mirroring, etc yet costs 4x as much doesn't add up to me. I can only hope they'll keep dropping the price but odds aren't good since it's gone from $2500 to $1500 and back up to $1750 for some unknown reason, all while still losing radio...which I don't use, but that's not the point for me, it's the principle of charging more for less.

In fairness the MCU 2 upgrade includes two screens. Both the binnacle in front of the driver and the main screen. Also a 12.5 in screen versus a 17-in screen? You might want to check the price of laptop computers. That's a big difference! I'm still glad that we did it in our model S. Felt like a brand new car. Don't know if any of this helps you, but, thought I'd share.

Reactions: buckets0fun
In fairness the MCU 2 upgrade includes two screens. Both the binnacle in front of the driver and the main screen. Also a 12.5 in screen versus a 17-in screen? You might want to check the price of laptop computers. That's a big difference! I'm still glad that we did it in our model S. Felt like a brand new car. Don't know if any of this helps you, but, thought I'd share.
I know it replaced both screens. We got a 2022 M3 as a loaner and I can tell the resolution is better, MCU2 is supposed to be clearer a well, but still.

I mentioned screen size is moot, I'm talking about features...$1700+ is a bit much IMHO to spend for better resolution and a couple of apps while still not having modern infotainment features like CarPlay, which I'm honestly not even a fan of. Stock screen (controlled via iDrive knob) was replaced for a larger screen (that's a touchscreen and/or can be controlled by the iDrive knob), still has the stock BMW screen but easily reverts to the Android side. I know my complaining is falling on deaf ears, I know there's the BeatSonic device, but mirroring the phone (which I'm also not a fan of using based on experience from other vehicles) and taking over the backup camera is a far cry for the same $500. I'm hopeful something better will come out as older Tesla's become more mainstream because I can't be the only one wanting more from the stock screen...the refresh vehicles have been able to figure out how to take over the entire screen but the developers haven't spent time migrating the feature to pre-refresh vehicles.

...$1700+ is a bit much IMHO to spend for better resolution and a couple of apps
I'm hopeful something better will come out as older Tesla's become more mainstream .

The vastly greater responsiveness of the system is almost worth the cost, to me, alone. Although I do make use of YouTube and some of the games quite a bit while waiting for my wife!

The number of MCU1 Teslas is diminishing every day from both attrition and because people are upgrading. No new ones will ever be added. Sadly they will never be mainstream. Eventually Tesla will quit offering the MCU upgrade, and then it will require junkyard trolling to find parts. I'm with you brother, but this is a losing battle. I would humbly suggest you bite the bullet and get the upgrade while you can.

What sold me on the MCU2 is that the internals are newer and more likely compatible with future updates. The service lead I spoke with said that the memory was a temporary fix (I did that in 2020) and the MCU2 upgrade will make it less likely it will brick like the MCU1. I had my MCI1 blackout on long drives a few times and I wouldn have paid $2000 just for that not to ever happen again. No signals, couldn’t see my speed, etc. I have had to restart mine a few times here and there since upgrading, but only upon entering after an update. I have been happy with the speed and options since replacing it. Just my 2c.

Reactions: henderrj
2017 75D, 131,000 miles. 19% degradation. Probably 10% supercharging and 90% home.

Under warranty the usual front door actuators, shudder fix X 2 that never fixed the issue. 12v dead x 2. FWD calibration issues. Tires around 20-25k miles.

MCU2 and FSD upgrade. If any of you are on the fence just do it. My car started feeling like an old beater and honestly now it feels just as new as ever.

Post warranty. Front Left suspension replaced for ugly rattle and air compressor for air suspension sag. Back trunk shelving broke and replaced. Front windshield and falcon wing door top glass replaced under my glass policy.

Overall though pretty minimal issues.

This seems like a lot of repairs. I can’t recall ever having anything fixed or replaced on my Land Cruisers up to 100k miles. My wife’s current 2019 BMW has 38k miles and zero issues this far as it should will little miles. Have the newer MX’s fixed any of these issues from previous years, such as the half shaft? What’s the longest Xcare warranty you can get for a MX and the cost of it?

2017 MX 90d 7 seater half leather interior
74k miles, 2yrs now.

Repairs thus far....
+1 front airbag
+Both lower arms
+1 drop link
+Front shafts
-Rear subframe wiring loom
-Front bumper wiring loom
-Air suspension compressor (and nitrogen refill)
-Arch trim and sensor (flood water caught it)
-Rear parking brake unit(motor failed but can now source motors on their own) and park brake pads
-Rear spoiler (upper, lower and brake light) brake light cracked and failed and corrosion on lower is atrocious and poor design imo

Maintenance
-Brake pads front
-MCU2 upgrade self done (screen slowly got a yellow border appearing so got a spare to swap it with)
-CCS upgrade
-Interior filter *2 (once a year)
-Wipers ( trying to find a way to replace just the rubber as they aren't cheap)

Upgrades to do...
-Next on the list is the boot lift strut as it's quite noisy and the new model uses the same unit under a revised part number and is OMG whisper quiet. Panel gaps are still crud though in dealer examples 🤣
-Bioweapon filter to be purchased and installed.

In case you get a yellow border again: the service centers have a UV treatment for that. That cured mine. I had tried some consumer-grade UV on it myself, covered in aluminum foil, but that didn't work as well.
I'm afraid the screen has already had this treatment as they did it while it was in for something else😢 only last about 6months

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj