Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Requests for configuration help.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might seem like an odd question, but it is difficult to manage the acceleration on the P85 vs non-perf 85? e.g. Can you drive it easily with normal acceleration? Some high performance cars are hard drive day to day. Thanks
No, it's not difficult. You just have to learn to let go...of the accelerator. I refuse to do so though. ;)

No, it's not difficult. You just have to learn to let go...of the accelerator. I refuse to do so though. ;)

Another thing I love about the P85 is this:

"Model S Performance accelerates from 0 to 60 MPH in 4.4 seconds. But, if driven the same way as a Model S, both cars achieve the same efficiency."

Of course, you wouldn't get the performance for the purpose of NOT using it-- but I want to be able to use it when needed on demand, or when I'm feeling like a thrill :cool: but 90% of my driving will be more moderate.

So it's like a no compromise car (other than the $$$) -- you would NEVER get that in an ICE - the really fast sporty models just always suck up tons of gas, even when you aren't punching it.

Thanks for all of the insight.
It seems that off the line....all three models are similar. 60, 80, and perf. I think the difference will come in after the first 30 MPH.

The 40, 60, and 85 are all similar off the line.
The Performance is much faster. (35% more torque).
After 40 mph, the performance is faster than the non-perf 85 (15% more power), and 60 (38% more power).

Also consider which interior you want. Me, I hate wood and don't like glossy finishes so the CF interior was the only one I found nice-looking. The performance seats also looks better than the standard ones, and I really like the dark grey wheels. These were my main reasons to go P85 instead of S85, not the extra performance.

It comes down to what one can afford and personal preferences. I went with Performance because I could use it when I wanted it but realistically I don't need 4.4 secs (or 3.9 secs) most of the time. This is more for bragging rights. I wanted all options. I am typically a rational and careful spender but in this case, I wanted fully loaded for fun. May be getting close to midlife crisis!!

I was always getting a Model S,and I was always getting the longest range pack available. I never cared about speed, or luxury. These have never been something I've cared much about.When it won COTY I just figured I might as well have the COTY. The 20k might be more important to you. Totally understandable. I must say also that I drove the non P and it was super fast/powerful. If you're a guy who drives like me (old man in a Prius) you wont ever know the difference.

Not to piss anyone off, but I am coming from a heavy modified Audi S4 that can spin all four tires upon launch and the P85 seems a little slow at start :( However, has lots more punch when flooring at speed :) Due to this, I cannot justify anything less than the P85 though, since I already have a very fast ICE car that I am keeping. I think this is all relative to what you are used to!

I'd forget the performance model for several reasons. Isn't 0 to 60 at about 5.4 sec fast enough? The performance model tires wear more quickly and the ride is harsher. I'd add the supercharger as adding it later is much more expensive. And why not get the 85 kWh batter for "only a few pennies more". You maybe are not aware that Tesla recommends only charging to 80% of battery capacity which means on a new 85 kWh battery you only get 240 miles, similiar reduction would occur with the 60 kWh battery.

I'd forget the performance model for several reasons. Isn't 0 to 60 at about 5.4 sec fast enough? The performance model tires wear more quickly and the ride is harsher. I'd add the supercharger as adding it later is much more expensive. And why not get the 85 kWh batter for "only a few pennies more". You maybe are not aware that Tesla recommends only charging to 80% of battery capacity which means on a new 85 kWh battery you only get 240 miles, similiar reduction would occur with the 60 kWh battery.

I agree that the performance isn't necessary for most people but it sure is fun. The 85 kWh goes 0-60 in 5.6 seconds according to Tesla. The performance model only wears out tires more quickly if you drive it like it was meant to be driven (and it comes with softer summer performance tires as well). You can put all season tires on a performance model if you want. The ride in the performance model should be better than a stock 85 kWh car as the performance model comes with the air suspension and that is an option on the 85 kWh model.

Tesla recommends a standard charge on a daily basis which is actually a 90% charge (90% of EPA 265 rating is around 240 miles as you said).

I'd add the supercharger as adding it later is much more expensive.

The 85kWh battery option (performance or not) comes with supercharging, it's optional with the 60kWh battery. And you cannot add supercharging later as it requires heavier gauge wiring from charge port to batteries bypassing onboard chargers.

Did you mean you'd add twin chargers? The second charger can be added later, but at a greater cost than adding it at build time.

"Heavy Modified" obviously being the operative phrase otherwise the stock P85 would crush it.

LOL no it is not that "heavy modified". The tesla can still smoke it 0-60 however not the same "punch" that you get flooring a car at rpm being able to launch a car with so much traction that all 4 tires slip!

After initial launch model S will win with strong linear acceleration! My S4 probably 0-60 upper 4's. so model is should be faster! I also hope the model S I test drove performance didn't have the latest software.

Jack

Do we know for sure that Standard Mode is 90% of Range Mode? I thought Standard Mode is 90% of Capacity, and that Range Mode is 95% of Capacity. That's different.
I don't think we know anything "totally for suresies" given the car is still relatively new (especially in the statistical data sense), but 265*0.9 = 238.5, and it's rare for me to see above 239 for my (always) standard charge.

I think range gives you 100% of available capacity too (265 EPA range).

I don't think so, unless Model S is different than Roadster in this regard. First, some homework for you: Tesla Motors: A Bit About Batteries, which states:

There is a huge difference in cycle life between a 4.2V/cell charge (defined by the manufacturers as “fully charged”) and a 4.15V/cell charge. 4.15 volts represents a charge of about 95 percent. For this reduction of initial capacity (5 percent), the batteries last a whole lot longer. Unfortunately, further reduction of charge has a much smaller benefit on cycle life. Understanding this tradeoff, Tesla Motors has decided to limit the maximum charge of its cells to 4.15 volts, taking an initial 5 percent range hit to maximize lifetime of the pack.

What's not completely clear is whether Tesla's limit is for Standard Mode or Range Mode.

The question is: Is Range Mode indeed going up to the full 4.2volts/cell in Model S? If not, how far does it go?

Unfortunately, Tesla is letting its previous Roadster blog pages break down. The Roadster Efficiency and Range page, for instance, now lacks images. It mentions range mode going to 55kWh on Roadster's 56 kWh battery pack. So, that's more than 95%, but not 100%. Then again, we don't know what Tesla really means with its capacity ratings, and whether they're the sum of the ratings Panasonic has on the cells, or Tesla's own independent metric.

If Model S Range Mode is indeed 100% of 85kWh, then an EPA mile consumes about 321Watt-hours. Note that the EPA says it takes about 380Watt-hours, so the 60Watt-hour difference is charging losses. It would be even more if Range Mode is not 100% of the 85kWh.