Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Requests for configuration help.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the same boat as you Alpha. I have an S5 so I like the speed. Really dont try and smoke the other cars, but It is nice. Did you test drive the 65KW?

Igor, I replaced my Audi S4(v8) with the 85kWh non-performance and have been very happy. The model S is certainly quicker than the S4. I would do it again without regret.

I'm in your neighborhood .... It's simple economics. If you can afford the perf model, get it. If you are scrounging to afford a 60kw then then don't.

I budgeted $85k +/- before pricing was announced and ended up $30k over that. So my kid will have to get a job at 15.....

If you like performance, and you can afford the performance, get the performance. :)
It has noticeably more torque at the low end (443 lb-ft compared to 325 lb-ft for the 85 kWh and 317 lb-ft for the 60 kWh). Of course, you need sticky tires and decent pavement to make good use of that, but the performance is clearly faster from 0-30 when going to the performance. (In contrast, the nonperf 85 kWh isn't that much faster 0-30 than the 60 kWh).

Personally, I would have paid more if I could have had more performance. :)
I would have paid less if I could have had the performance with a smaller battery pack.

If you do spend the extra money, I wouldn't expect that it will come back in resale value. I firmly believe this car will depreciate at least as fast as any car. What will my 2012 Model S be worth in a few years when Tesla has a new model selling for less that has similar performance, adaptive cruise control, collision avoidance, etc.?

Incidentally, the first question that everyone asks me when I tell them that my car is electric is "but how far is its range". It's nice to tell them it's EPA rated at 265 miles. That's one nice benefit Tesla got by only selling 85 kWh batteries at first.

People keep saying 4.4. But with the most recent software, the number is definitely about 3.9. The 60kW is probably better than the advertised 5.whatever, too. It's plenty fast, if all you want is plenty fast. But if you want FAST...
Until Tesla adjust their public 4.4 number, I'm calling it 4.4. :)

Just one opinion.

Until Tesla adjust their public 4.4 number, I'm calling it 4.4. :)

Just one opinion.

It's 4.4 without rollout, 3.9 with.
I read somewhere that most automakers quote their 0-60 times with a rollout, but Tesla show their 0-60 times starting from a complete standstill for some reason.

So- both number are right depending on how you measure. Any way you slice it though, it's like a bat out of hell!!

I read somewhere that most automakers quote their 0-60 times with a rollout, but Tesla show their 0-60 times starting from a complete standstill for some reason.

So- both number are right depending on how you measure. Any way you slice it though, it's like a bat out of hell!!

So, 0-60 in 4.4, and 3-60 in 3.9?

I never really understood the 0-60 with rollout label. By definition, a rollout means it is not zero.

(Then again, a quantum physicist would argue about the standing start being zero as well :)

Yes, rollout means you are moving just a tiny bit when the test starts, so there is no delay from your foot coming off the brake and going to the accelerator- actually a little more accurate I would think as it helps remove some of the human delay.

Hey, here's someone who just clocked 5.4 on his 60kWh: 60 kWh 0-60mph time
Not bad at all!!

I have to configure my car and need some help from owners. I like to be able to accelerate quickly. For that reason I am considering the P. I will likely only drive to work and back (10 miles). Supercharging is not as important because I feel that this will not happen in my area (Miami/Ft Lauderdale) for some time.
The dilema is....is that 4.4 seconds on the peformance worth the extra 20k over the 60 kW 5.9 seconds? I do not have the capabilty to drive the 60KW here. I have test driven the P and fell in love.

The price tage for the P is hefty. The question is........Is the P that much faster and more powerful than the 60?

It seems like the 60kw is a better deal considering that I do not need supercharging. I can always add that later, correct?

Also, what do owners think about resale and battery degradation. It seems like the 60kW is a better value in that regard as well.

Thanks for any advice

seems to me the 85kWh non-performance is your answer.

- - - Updated - - -

also, if you have to ask yourself (or full-on debate yourself) whether or not you can afford the Performance model, then you can't.

(and very likely you shouldn't be buying 60kWh or 85kWh either, but whatever...)

- - - Updated - - -

no, there's a video rolling around of it being 3.9 from a standstill.

I agree that we should officially stop saying this is a 4.4sec car. It has proven itself to be much faster than that. SO WHY ARE WE ALL SO HESITANT TO GIVE THE MODEL S THE GODDAM RESPECT IT IS ENTITLED TO?!?!?!?!? :cursing:

My $.02 - For my daily driver a 40 kWh is more than enough but I'm getting the standard 85 because I want to do road trips. You won't need a Supercharger for daily driving IMO, unless you live in an apartment complex or otherwise overnight charging is a problem. I'd be willing to bet a Supercharger near Miami, if not in Miami, will be coming soon, as the I-95 corridor and big population centers looks to be the priority for development. I don't have much opinion on the Performance as I'm not much of a fast car guy, but the standard 85 is -plenty- fast for me.

Thanks for all of the insight.
Im getting somewhere. It seems that off the line....all three models are similar. 60, 80, and perf. I think the difference will come in after the first 30 MPH. I feel like thats when the perf will crush the 60. In my mind it seems like the value is in the 60, but the true umph of the Tesla is in the Perf. I cant, in my mind, see the advantage of the 85kW....short of range.....which I dont need. It also seems the resale will be a little better for the 85kw because people will need range down the road. I will prob need to seek out a 60 and/or 80 owner and try to get them to take me on a drive. Have three weeks....wish me luck

Actually the 650 i gran coupe seems more like the perf to me. I would think that 65 K for 60kw is a better value giving 5.9 sec. The 85kw is 5.6 but costs 10k more, for an additonal 3 sec advantage may not be worth it.
The true more value of the 85kWh pack is the higher mileage you will get with the bigger pack. Its not 42% more, indeed it will be near the double. Why? You are going to put less stress on the pack. The load/unload swings are smaller and at the end, you can degrade the 85kWh pack down to 42% ending with the same capacity left while the 60kWh pack degrade down to 60%.

best

Eberhard

I too have been pondering the Performance vs. non-performance model. I currently have a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD with a 6-speed MT. It weighs 3858lbs, and the 3.7L engine is rated at 305HP @6300rpm and 273lb/ft @5000rpm. According to which road test you believe, it has a 0-60 time of anywhere from 5.2 to 5.5 seconds. It is decently quick. On the other hand, I live in Parker,CO, where the elevation is 6000 ft, so the higher altitude definitely affects a normally aspirated ICE. That is one big advantage of an electric motor that I don't see people talking about that much, but I think many people on the forum live at lower altitude.

I want something noticeably quicker than my Acura. I have had two quick test drives of a P85 at the Park Meadows Tesla Store, and it is most definitely much quicker than the Acura... I just wish I could drive a non-perf 85 to see how it feels before I finalize (I only have 13 days till my deadline expires).

I am 99% sure I will get the P85, as I have been intending to all along, since I still like to have the capability to smoke most other vehicles if I want to (call me immature...).

Personally I got the P85 even though I didn't really need it, and I never really considered the 60kWh because I wanted maximum range flexibility. There's a lengthy thread on this here:
Performance vs. Non-Performance an extra $10K

This might seem like an odd question, but it is difficult to manage the acceleration on the P85 vs non-perf 85? e.g. Can you drive it easily with normal acceleration? Some high performance cars are hard drive day to day. Thanks

This might seem like an odd question, but it is difficult to manage the acceleration on the P85 vs non-perf 85? e.g. Can you drive it easily with normal acceleration? Some high performance cars are hard drive day to day. Thanks

Based on my test drive it is a piece of cake to drive the MSP. Very smooth and good for day to day driving. Nothing like your typical sports car.