Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resale values plummeted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sold my 2021 Y LR on Jan. 8th for $62k. Had only 1.2k miles. Purchased May 1
for $50,490 + shipping and taxes. Out the door for $55k.
I had an offer from an online buying company for $65k a week before,
but I procrastinated, thinking prices may keep rising. When I noticed they
were declining, I decided to sell. I figured I could get a '22 model for about $2k
more out the door. In my opinion, I made the right decision.
Of course, I must wait until my EDD of May 12 - June 9 arrives.
And now I get the metallic gray for free (mine was white/black).

I sold my 2021 Y LR on Jan. 8th for $62k. Had only 1.2k miles. Purchased May 1
for $50,490 + shipping and taxes. Out the door for $55k.
I had an offer from an online buying company for $65k a week before,
but I procrastinated, thinking prices may keep rising. When I noticed they
were declining, I decided to sell. I figured I could get a '22 model for about $2k
more out the door. In my opinion, I made the right decision.
Of course, I must wait until my EDD of May 12 - June 9 arrives.
And now I get the metallic gray for free (mine was white/black).
Who were the companies.

I sold my 2018 Model 3 LR (no Tesla extras) to Carmax in December for $43.2k. This past month the offered prices have remained steady at about $46k for similar models. If the price offers are dropping, I would take it to mean that CarMax thinks it has enough inventory for now. When CarMax et al. lower their prices, then we will know that the supply/demand has turned the corner.

3-4 weeks ago I could have sold my ‘21 MY LR AWD, no FSD or tow hitch, White/Black for $64k.

Now when I visit the popular online wholesalers like Vroom, carbuyerusa, givemethvin, CarVana I get $54k-$58k!!!
I sold my '21 MY LR AWD with 15,000 miles for $62,500 a few weeks ago to a dealer in TN. Bought it a year ago in Nov for $54,000. Awaiting MYP from Austin.

I think all the talk about Berlin and Austin cranking out MYs with all the toys, has definitely impacted the crazy-priced MY market. The confirmation of the 4680 being used has also had an impact. I would guess 80% of MY buyers investing $60-70k in a new vehicle will wait for the 4680 Y. I will.

The new Model Y with all the upgrades is a TOTALLY re-designed vehicle. New 4680s, mega casts, new battery tray, laminate glass on all four windows, a new console, heated steering wheel, better fit, better paint, better range (perhaps), better handling, better performance, AMD computer, and much, much more. As they have said, the 2022 MY will be the most advanced electric vehicle ever made, and it will be in demand all over the world. That is why I ordered one on 26 Nov. 21 and will not accept anything less. I have had one of each S3XY teslas. I had two Model Xs and short of the raw power, I like the Model Y better. I am getting too old for all of that power anyway. Hey, I was the only guy at the race track with a handicapped sticker! MYP 0-60 in 3.5 is plenty. Would love air suspension and a new color, but, hey you can't have it all and that could take another year.

I sold to givemethevin.com for $62k.
At this time, Carmax was offering $61k.
I sold my '21 MY LR AWD with 15,000 miles for $62,500 a few weeks ago to a dealer in TN. Bought it a year ago in Nov for $54,000. Awaiting MYP from Austin.

I think all the talk about Berlin and Austin cranking out MYs with all the toys, has definitely impacted the crazy-priced MY market. The confirmation of the 4680 being used has also had an impact. I would guess 80% of MY buyers investing $60-70k in a new vehicle will wait for the 4680 Y. I will.

The new Model Y with all the upgrades is a TOTALLY re-designed vehicle. New 4680s, mega casts, new battery tray, laminate glass on all four windows, a new console, heated steering wheel, better fit, better paint, better range (perhaps), better handling, better performance, AMD computer, and much, much more. As they have said, the 2022 MY will be the most advanced electric vehicle ever made, and it will be in demand all over the world. That is why I ordered one on 26 Nov. 21 and will not accept anything less. I have had one of each S3XY teslas. I had two Model Xs and short of the raw power, I like the Model Y better. I am getting too old for all of that power anyway. Hey, I was the only guy at the race track with a handicapped sticker! MYP 0-60 in 3.5 is plenty. Would love air suspension and a new color, but, hey you can't have it all and that could take another

Which dealer if I may ask and do they purchase MY’s nationwide?

The new Model Y with all the upgrades is a TOTALLY re-designed vehicle. New 4680s, mega casts, new battery tray, laminate glass on all four windows, a new console, heated steering wheel, better fit, better paint, better range (perhaps), better handling, better performance, AMD computer, and much, much more. As they have said, the 2022 MY will be the most advanced electric vehicle ever made, and it will be in demand all over the world. That is why I ordered one on 26 Nov. 21 and will not accept anything less. I have had one of each S3XY teslas. I had two Model Xs and short of the raw power, I like the Model Y better. I am getting too old for all of that power anyway. Hey, I was the only guy at the race track with a handicapped sticker! MYP 0-60 in 3.5 is plenty. Would love air suspension and a new color, but, hey you can't have it all and that could take another year.
Enter the universal dilemma. I have an MYP set for delivery in March but likely too early for 4680/cast. Argh…there is no data to suggest 4680 will start until after Q2 for regular production. Hmm 🤔

Reactions: 1plavs
Musk announced in the earnings call that vehicles coming out of Austin will have 4680s which have to go into the new frame-like battery box, which is connected to the new casts. Power train chief also said there is no constraint of 4680s.

The question becomes, will your MYP come out of Austin. Let's hope so!

However, IMHO, I think Austin and Fremont will produce vehicles with like configurations.

Reactions: 1plavs