Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resale values plummeted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1plavs

‘22 MYP, White/Black
Mar 29, 2021
MKE
3-4 weeks ago I could have sold my ‘21 MY LR AWD, no FSD or tow hitch, White/Black for $64k.

Now when I visit the popular online wholesalers like Vroom, carbuyerusa, givemethvin, CarVana I get $54k-$58k!!!

Reactions: JaeTheDev
All depends on the market and supply/demand in that region. Heck, just pull up CarMax and look at the crazy prices they're asking for used MYP's. Well over what they sold for new...

1644013966139.png

We've probably seen several asset areas that have been softening the last few weeks including digital coins, stock market, housing, RVs, and now cars. I'd hate to be the one holding any recently purchased inflated asset.

Musk said Tesla car prices would likely fall in the future. This difference might be this new trend being related to a drop in demand as people begin to feel the pressure of inflation and rising interest rates.

Car salesperson here. The drop in values is predictable. For all cars there are generally 2 major book price drops annually with small adjustments throughout the year. September is when new model year vehicles generally are released and January is when the calendar year changes. Unfortunately, Teslas have both drops at the same time since their model year coincides with production date.

Also, January and February see a severely slowed down market for both new and used autos and trade values take a hit in these months due to planned inventory life time.

Odds are that, if the car market remains what it has been for the last year, that two months from now your trade will increase a bit in value to match the economic flow through dealers again. But that will only happen if consumer demand and supply constraints remain true.

But, you should still sell now rather than wait. Tesla production timelines have improved their forecasts for current models and availability is no longer a year or more for them. People and business will pay for a lack of availability, but with Texas starting production prices on used MY will continue to be impacted.

What he just said above 👍🏽
Supply increasing and wait times going down for new vehicles.

Also the price of new Teslas has slowly creeped up so the variance between new and used is not much.

The days of profit on used are going to start to calm a bit as long as Tesla keeps churning them out. Also the inventory of used Teslas out in the market is now high given every owner or new buyer had the same idea ‘hey let me order one or two, flip them and make some $ or get myself into a better model!..it’s a no brainer!’

Fast forward 2-3 months and market flooded with used Teslas.

Car salesperson here. The drop in values is predictable. For all cars there are generally 2 major book price drops annually with small adjustments throughout the year. September is when new model year vehicles generally are released and January is when the calendar year changes. Unfortunately, Teslas have both drops at the same time since their model year coincides with production date.

Also, January and February see a severely slowed down market for both new and used autos and trade values take a hit in these months due to planned inventory life time.

Odds are that, if the car market remains what it has been for the last year, that two months from now your trade will increase a bit in value to match the economic flow through dealers again. But that will only happen if consumer demand and supply constraints remain true.

But, you should still sell now rather than wait. Tesla production timelines have improved their forecasts for current models and availability is no longer a year or more for them. People and business will pay for a lack of availability, but with Texas starting production prices on used MY will continue to be impacted.
Hey thanks! I have a few questions.

Should I pass on accepting the MYP upgrade now and wait 1-2 more months or whenever it’s ready? This way hopefully resale values go back up.

In your opinion is a MYP upgrade worth it when I can just add an Acceleration Boost for $2k

Where can I see what price is the best price that I can get for our MY LR awd? More than likely I would sell to a local dealer or an online wholesaler.

3-4 weeks ago I could have sold my ‘21 MY LR AWD, no FSD or tow hitch, White/Black for $64k.

Now when I visit the popular online wholesalers like Vroom, carbuyerusa, givemethvin, CarVana I get $54k-$58k!!!
I just checked randomly, and there are 14 Tesla's on the lot at one of the local used car sales dealer. I think used car prices peaked last year and the increase in car loan rates and inflation is causing people to rethink how much they are prepared to pay. Carvana stock is also not doing too well and so they are now offering less.

Hey thanks! I have a few questions.

Should I pass on accepting the MYP upgrade now and wait 1-2 more months or whenever it’s ready? This way hopefully resale values go back up.

In your opinion is a MYP upgrade worth it when I can just add an Acceleration Boost for $2k

Where can I see what price is the best price that I can get for our MY LR awd? More than likely I would sell to a local dealer or an online wholesaler.
Do you have a Carmax nearby? They gave me the best offer for my 3.

My biggest gripe about the whole market right now is that the tax credit doesn't exist. Would have been a true blessing at the end of last year. If it comes back I'll buy a couple more this year to offset everything.
Do you feel it will come back this year and will it be retroactive to anyone who bought one in 2022?