Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation tracker for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what the reservation count was before the online ordering started (at 7:30pm)? I think this would be an interesting data point. I'd say that a good number of reservations were entered in the hour before the unveil, possibly even more in that one hour than taken in all the stores earlier that day.

Reactions: Blackout
One big assumption we made in our algorithm is that the confirmation emails were sent out sequentially. This assumption allows us to work backwards and then provide an estimate.

I can safely say that this assumption won't work at all. Confirmation e-mails were sent out in bulk using a cloud provider (messagelabs) on the following day after the unveil. Cloud providers use multiple parallel queues that can also be geographically distributed.

Does anyone know what the reservation count was before the online ordering started (at 7:30pm)? I think this would be an interesting data point. I'd say that a good number of reservations were entered in the hour before the unveil, possibly even more in that one hour than taken in all the stores earlier that day.
During the event, Elon said 115k reservation were in. There was about 90 minutes between the announcement of 115k and the start of on-line reservation.

During the event, Elon said 115k reservation were in. There was about 90 minutes between the announcement of 115k and the start of on-line reservation.

Because I send my request for reservation just a little bit after he said 215 miles...And from my estimation since after he showed the car he said it was currently at 115K, I thought I must have been just under 110K. I estimated lots of people would do the same especially when they first saw the car...
So between 5-7k people signing up just when he said 215 miles lol...When I check the first 6 number of my reservation Its kind of lining up with what I estimated...but then I noticed your first 3 numbers and based on the time you mentioned (9:33am) it doesn't make sense that I got a lower number than you so yah, i guess it's random...

I can safely say that this assumption won't work at all. Confirmation e-mails were sent out in bulk using a cloud provider (messagelabs) on the following day after the unveil. Cloud providers use multiple parallel queues that can also be geographically distributed.

Not all. My confirmation mail is dated 31. March at 09:09 CET. About 5 minutes after I left the shop - I was #2 in the line and they started the reservations at 09:00.

Edit: checked more closely and found this: "Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 00:09:34 -0700". Guess that should be PDT?

Last edited:
Agreed. Even in the marketing work I do, we send out emails using a third party that sends out in bulk at various times. Also, credit card processing won't be accurate either as others have said their card was charged shortly after, mine like the email wasn't charged until late the next day.

I add this part fully knowing that you're working and improving the algorithm...your system has me placed at ~293,000. But my reservation was placed and both email and card charged prior to the reservations hitting even ~200k. Interested to see how this changes and improves as more data and info is gathered.

Not all. My confirmation mail is dated 31. March at 09:09 CET. About 5 minutes after I left the shop - I was #2 in the line and they started the reservations at 09:00.

Edit: checked more closely and found this: "Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 00:09:34 -0700". Guess that should be PDT?
I was like 70th in line, but didn't get the actual confirmation email until the 2nd of April (Tyco VA store). My RN showed up on the site within two hours though (took me as long to actually get back home and check).

I received a confirmation email when I sent in my deposit but the email doesn't mention any RN #. Should I have a RN #? Best I can tell I sent in at about the 300K mark.
You should have an RN #. If you log into your MyTesla site, it should show up there. I am pretty sure the confirmation emails don't show the RN #. If you don't have a Tesla login, I believe if you create one with the same email you made your reservation with, it should show up there.

Site is in need of a config update to reflect the 3 levels of AP which will be available.
Site has been updated to include more config options. A big campaign to get users to update has been successful. Also didn't hurt having interview youtube video and a blog article picking up my TMC post. Lots of new and updated data.

ClYb6Cq.png

Site has been updated to include more config options. A big campaign to get users to update has been successful. Also didn't hurt having interview youtube video and a blog article picking up my TMC post. Lots of new and updated data.

ClYb6Cq.png
Yeah, I forgot about the other thread, lol. It is good to see the mentions. I listened to you in the M3OC podcast the other day. Good job :D