Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reset TPM for a new set of summer tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how to add a new set of rims/tires to a Model X without having to visit the service center? I just bought a extra set of 22" wheels with new tire pressure monitors for summer driving. I live about 200 miles from service center and do not want to have to drive that far just to add new wheels. I know there used to be a TPM RESET button. But it looks like Tesla remove that from the screen.

Does anyone know how to add a new set of rims/tires to a Model X without having to visit the service center? I just bought a extra set of 22" wheels with new tire pressure monitors for summer driving. I live about 200 miles from service center and do not want to have to drive that far just to add new wheels. I know there used to be a TPM RESET button. But it looks like Tesla remove that from the screen.
I thought these auto reset after a number of miles but I just checked the manual and it says they need to be 'reset' by the SC. Not sure what happened if you swap out tires like the other poster. Seems excessive to go to a SC twice a year for that!

I just drove after installing my summer tires and the TPMS worked fine.
I am assuming you are using different TPM sensors for your summer tires? Did you get errors or anything at first? Maybe it does reset by itself after xNumber of miles driving. My Model S still has the Reset TPMS button but my Model X does not. I will install my new summer tires and see what happens. Will report back.

My experience is the same as @bikeandsail. Our P85D came with 21" Turbine wheels and Summer ONLY ContiSportContact tires which work great here in sunny warm SoCal. I bought a set of 19" Cyclone wheels without TPMS off eBay, added a set of Tesla TPMS purchased at our local Tesla Service Center, and had America's Tire install the TPMS and new All-Season 19" Michelin MX4 tires. America's Tire told me new TPMS will be recognized after driving about 2 km (1.2 mile) even with all 4 of our 21" tires and wheels in the back of our P85D... and they were correct. EASY no brainer wheel swap. Once again THANKS Tesla for making things like this user friendly !!!

Reactions: bradjc and boaterva
I got my 20" Slipstream wheels powder-coated a dark gray and the screen display didn't update. I'm thinking of returning it, since it's clearly defective. Isn't this how that top-down view works? ;)

On a more serious (and equally funny) note, whenever the Tesla does something truly technologically impressive, my wife doesn't get impressed and seems to expect it to work that way.

For example, when Tesla develops software with temporal smoothing to create a coarse point radar cloud that bounces under the car ahead of it to characterize the car in front's speed and position, realizes that the two cars are going to collide, sounds a warning 1.5 seconds prior to the collision and initiates emergency braking to avoid adding to the accident...well, she says, "of course it should do that"? o_O

My winter tires and rims were purchased through tire rack and mounted, balanced through tire rack. They came with tpms installed by tire rack. I had them installed by the tire rack recommended shop and after driving for less than 5 minutes the car recognized the new sensors and they have worked as expected since. Not even Tesla sensors. I think these were conti sensors and they just worked. No SC needed.

My winter tires and rims were purchased through tire rack and mounted, balanced through tire rack. They came with tpms installed by tire rack. I had them installed by the tire rack recommended shop and after driving for less than 5 minutes the car recognized the new sensors and they have worked as expected since. Not even Tesla sensors. I think these were conti sensors and they just worked. No SC needed.
Mine were purchased the same way - 19" wheels with Bridgestone Blizzaks from Tire Rack.
IMG_1195.JPG