Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reside in Silicon Valley, Reserved my Model 3 on 4/19, when will i get mine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's way too early to tell. Even Tesla's estimate is that the first cars will not roll off the line for another 18 months, so you're probably way beyond that given the date you ordered. Are you a previous owner? That may give you some priority...Otherwise, there are a lot of people ahead of you...

I am not a previous owner of a Tesla, but i am hearing that West Coast orders will have priorities in delivery.....so even though i ordered late, my order should be filled much faster than if i was living on the east coast when i ordered. I think that living within 20 miles of the factory will place my order within the first 100,000 deliveries. :)

The first few (hundreds? thousands? who knows) cars will be delivered on the west coast. This is to allow quick turnarounds for any major problems discovered with the cars after delivery. It's easier for them to fix the manufacturing issues if everything is close to the factory. So think of these people as "beta testers". ;)

The consensus is that some west-coast orders - but not all - will be fulfilled before delivering cars to other parts of the country. But honestly, nobody knows. Given how late you placed a reservation, I suggest not counting on being one of the first.

Living near the factory will only go so far in helping with speedy delivery. As was said, Tesla indicated that heavily optioned cars would come first. So I guess if you ordered a base model, that greedy NY investment banker who ordered his fully loaded P 120 DL way after you will still get it before you ;)

I believe there is no preference in your order anymore and it does not matter where you live or what model you choose or if you were a previous owner. More than 400000 people have ordered the car before you so expect to get your car between 2-3 years after first delivery. They can not delay 300000 people who ordered there car on the first 3 days (31/03-02/04) for years after people started getting there model 3's regardless where they are from as that would make lots of the early orderers very upset and possible cancel. Only luck you possible have is: ramp up production of the m3. So who knows how many more they would be able too produce in the first and second year.

Last edited:
Reactions: plankeye
Once the cars are "stable" they have to spread out distribution somewhat just to avoid overloading their Supercharger and service center network.

Remember, the ramp is about much more than manufacturing. Tesla needs to be able to deliver, service, and charge several times the number of cars they have on the road today. If traditional automakers have one advantage it is that business people put up millions to build dealerships that also include service centers for their product. Tesla does not have that advantage (but has others of course).

I live within 20 miles of the Tesla factory in Fremont and i was wondering what would be the timeframe for Tesla contacting me to place my order?

c673c25b103d51bafb9afa640c20dc747852340fbc11bc3a38e08f14426762fe.jpg

I live within 20 miles of the Tesla factory in Fremont and i was wondering what would be the timeframe for Tesla contacting me to place my order?
Nobody outside Tesla knows, and at this point probably no one inside Tesla knows either.

Consider yourself lucky if you get your Model 3 before the end of 2018. That's my personal opinion.

Don't think of it as 'those near the factory get theirs first', but rather, 'the first cars delivered will be to those near the factory.'

Any shakedown cruise issues will be long over after a few thousands cars. Once they are ramped up, they need to deliver equally to all areas to avoid truck scheduling problems.

Ordering on 4/19 means you are about 380,000th on the list.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: garsh