Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Frustrated Mad and Angry at Service right now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
Ok I've been trying to hold my anger in all day but ..

My 2nd annual service, which is hella pricey. They charge me $150 on top of that. Well okay fine. Not happy but I paid.

What p`ssed me off,
- They kept my car for 3 days, when I made an appointment 2 months out, because they were short staffed.
- Most of the time my car sat in the parking lot collecting dust. They spent about 2 hours actually servicing the car. Tell me again about that "service is not a profit center BS".
- Poor communication throughout, basically I'm kept in total suspense around when exactly can I pick my car up, I have to ask multiple times - and they almost never answer their phone.

What REALLY burnt my nerves,
- When I got my car back, it had a crack in the front windshield, and
- A 3 foot long scratch on the frunk hood.

When I delivered the car, they examined the car thoroughly, noted blemishes - heck they MISSED ONE that I pointed out.
When I was picking the car up, they REPLACED that sheet with "car is too dirty to perform inspection".
They presented me with a clipboard saying "sign here" - but I insisted on checking all the papers and discovered this switch. Naturally I was not happy, so I decided to examine the car, and this is what I find.

Then they tell me that "There is nothing they can do, and I am waiting for the service center manager to get back to me".

All this happened today, the service center manager is supposed to get back to me tomorrow.

I am mad as HELL that I have to deal with this nonsense, at their unprofessional behavior, their lying and covering up, and the very fact that I have to deal with this and burn time and energy on it. I have always babied my car, hand washed it and meticulously maintained it myself. Every single time I detailed my car, my back hurt, but I did it. Only to see an ugly 3 foot long scratch left by Tesla service (Rockville Service Center).

Super mad and angry! But really trying to hold it in, lets hope they make it right tomorrow and I end up deleting this thread.

Meanwhile feel free to console me. UGH!

Its small, like a chip. Yes probably something was dropped on it, maybe a wrench or some tool. But windshield chips grow very quickly under heat/cold.

The scratch looks like someone carelessly wiped it with a rock or something sharp in the wiping cloth. I don't see any dents on the hood.

Last edited:
@outie rockville service center. Lets see what they tell me tomorrow. To be honest, I should have waited and given them a chance to fix this situation before venting here. But I'm just mad as hell that I have to deal with this nonsense.

I HOPE they rectify this properly. This is completely unacceptable.

Now whether they fix it or not, this is the last time I am dealing with that service center. There is another one close to me (McLean) and I think I'll be going there here on. Yes I'm a slow learner.

Reactions: CSFTN
Ok I've been trying to hold my anger in all day but ..

My 2nd annual service, which is hella pricey. They charge me $150 on top of that. Well okay fine. Not happy but I paid.

What p`ssed me off,
- They kept my car for 3 days, when I made an appointment 2 months out, because they were short staffed.
- Most of the time my car sat in the parking lot collecting dust. They spent about 2 hours actually servicing the car. Tell me again about that "service is not a profit center BS".
- Poor communication throughout, basically I'm kept in total suspense around when exactly can I pick my car up, I have to ask multiple times - and they almost never answer their phone.

What REALLY burnt my nerves,
- When I got my car back, it had a crack in the front windshield, and
- A 3 foot long scratch on the frunk hood.

When I delivered the car, they examined the car thoroughly, noted blemishes - heck they MISSED ONE that I pointed out.
When I was picking the car up, they REPLACED that sheet with "car is too dirty to perform inspection".
They presented me with a clipboard saying "sign here" - but I insisted on checking all the papers and discovered this switch. Naturally I was not happy, so I decided to examine the car, and this is what I find.

Then they tell me that "There is nothing they can do, and I am waiting for the service center manager to get back to me".

All this happened today, the service center manager is supposed to get back to me tomorrow.

I am mad as HELL that I have to deal with this nonsense, at their unprofessional behavior, their lying and covering up, and the very fact that I have to deal with this and burn time and energy on it. I have always babied my car, hand washed it and meticulously maintained it myself. Every single time I detailed my car, my back hurt, but I did it. Only to see an ugly 3 foot long scratch left by Tesla service (Rockville Service Center).

Super mad and angry! But really trying to hold it in, lets hope they make it right tomorrow and I end up deleting this thread.

Meanwhile feel free to console me. UGH!
I think based on what you've told us that you are right to be pissed off and I want to see what happens next.

@outie rockville service center. Lets see what they tell me tomorrow. To be honest, I should have waited and given them a chance to fix this situation before venting here. But I'm just mad as hell that I have to deal with this nonsense.

I HOPE they rectify this properly. This is completely unacceptable.

Now whether they fix it or not, this is the last time I am dealing with that service center. There is another one close to me (McLean) and I think I'll be going there here on. Yes I'm a slow learner.
No I do not think you owe them any privacy - they tried to switch out your pre-inspection sheet? That's some shady dishonest nonsense. Don't give them cover - sunshine helps prevent repeats.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I'd rather not be in an atmosphere of distrust where I have to take pictures, then bicker about the details of the pictures and the authenticity and timing, next thing you know I have to carry a witness and a lawyer.

I just want a good reliable car, and service that is a pleasure to deal with.
My experience with expensive cars is that you do indeed need to take pics when dropping off. Big pain in the ass but crap happens and I've never seen a mechanic volunteer that they scratched up my car.

They DID try to switch the inspection sheet. I don't know if that is unintentional or malicious. But they absolutely DID try to switch the inspection sheet.

When I arrived to pick the car, their usual hurried up demeanor, sir your car is all set, sign here, pick the car. And he presented me with the clipboard, pen and pointed where to sign. I think they were counting on me signing it and running home. Good thing I decided to go through the pages. I wanted to know WHAT they did in the service, and noticed that they had replaced the inspection sheet.

I told them "Hey I did not sign this", the Tesla employee insisted that I did. I asked them to show me my signature - well it didn't have my signature. Then the Tesla employee said "Oh yeah I just put this sheet in here, I don't know why", and then proceeded to scratch out the "Vehicle too dirty to examine" checkbox .. but did not remove the sheet.

I came back with the car, but not the papers, which the Tesla employee insisted on keeping.

Anyway, I want to see them rectify this. They did tell me that their manager (Bruce) will reach out to me tomorrow (Thursday).
So lets give them the opportunity to make it right. Stuff happens, it's real life. And I don't mind if they make it right. Still it's nonsense I'd rather not deal with.

Loss of use compensation .. ugh I don't know what that is, but not liking the sound of it.

Either way, I'm getting the car fixed. But if I pay for it, my Tesla experiment ends here and the car will be on sale right after. A very expensive experiment, but might as well cut my losses and move on like a bad stock trade. :( .. and I have 2 more paid services and 4 years of ESA paid upfront, such was my fanboyism 2 years ago.

You are a nicer human being than I am. At this point I personally would be:

A - insisting on keeping the papers because they are imho clearly evidence of a clumsy cover-up attempt by a local shop to avoid a few grand in repairs.
B - Getting my lawyer to fire off a demand letter to the manager so I don't get any more BS runaround. After somebody at a shop tried to switch an inspection sheet AND then insisted on keeping the evidence (which they probably could not force you to give up btw) of their dishonesty I wouldn't give them another chance at anything. People have a way of getting cooperative quickly when lawyers get involved as long as your requests are reasonable and not crazy.

Loss of use comp is simply cash payment for the time you do not have your car while it is being fixed - in this case a scratched hood repaint. Only some situations entitle you to it.

Dude, lawyers etc. My mission in life is not to correct Tesla's behavior and their clumsy/dishonest employee.
It's been less than 24 hours, my approach is this - lets see if they "make it right".
If they do, they earn high marks.
If they don't, I'll burn the Elon poster in my bedroom and move on.

I mean I know TMC will miss my jokes, but such is life and tough choices have to be made!

In the meanwhile I appreciate all guidance, experiences, and consolation.