Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Help! Having a nightmare at the delivery center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't know you could get a P90D without the red calipers. The configurator says they're standard with the P85D/P90D.

It may be included, but that doesn't mean you have to get them.

When I configured my blue P85D, I opted not to get the red calipers, even though they were included in the cost, because I wasn't going for the very sporty look, and I thought they'd just stand out and call attention to themselves, and clash a bit on a blue car. (No offense intended to those with blue cars who went for the red calipers.)

I did check my order details several times, to make sure the calipers weren't going to be red, and also checked with someone on the phone, just to be safe.

That being said, I do understand how if it was an option the OP had checked, he easily could have missed it becoming unchecked when something changed. I'm glad Tesla worked something out with him, but I would have preferred to see them offer to just swap on the red calipers. I have to wonder if one of the factors that prevented that was either not having a set of red calipers available on the spot, or not having service center time available, and either the OP or the delivery center wanting the delivery to take place today. As long as the OP is satisfied, that's all that matters.

Honestly for now I'm a bit bummed but what can you do. It's definitely a blemish on the car in my opinion. I think part of the problem is that this car is one you build yourself from the bottom up and you want it to be perfect. Especially when the cost of the additional change was zero. It would have cost me zero. I think automation is good but the company should have taken care of making this issue right. Preferably by having the sales person checking the final configuration and secondly by unequivocally offering to change them out. I was the one who came up with the compromise. Their idea was to either buy a different car and wait a month (but I turned my lease In yesterday so not an option) or buy a CPO. A cpo when I just spent $130k on a car???? At the end of the day it's a massive pain in the ass and I'll always know it wasn't the way I wanted it. Yes I'll get over it and I'm making the best of it but I think I seriously am very turned off the company as an institution. It's not a different experience. It's the same old thing. The car is amazing and I'm glad I bought it but it's s cloud on an otherwise great day.

Welcome to Tesla. As great as they are, they could do a lot of things better. For this, they should have a human call anyone who pushes the order button and puts down the deposit, to verbally go over the order and all the options. It wouldn't take 10 minutes of their time, and in your case when they got to the red calipers you would have said "hell yes I want them!!! Why aren't they on there - I selected them!!!???" and all would have been fixed at the time you placed your order.

Internet ordering a super expensive car is ok, but should be followed up with a human phone call verifying each option - whether you chose it or whether you didn't.

I think Tesla should offer you the red calipers, just based on goodwill, for nothing.

Just my two cents. I always come down on the side of the little guy (in this case the customer) rather than the big guy (in this case the billion dollar corporation).

I am very new to Tesla. Had an option on Model X, but realized I am now done with SUVs as my daughters are all driving or very close to it. I placed an order last week for a Model S. During that week, they changed the "buttons" on the MyTesla page and got rid of the one that said something like "submit my order." It was very strange to not see it, after worrying every time I changed a config that I might accidentally choose something I didn't want and get stuck with it. For that reason, I told my OA (Owner Advisor?) that I wanted to speak with a "real live person" to confirm the options I wanted. We did that and he told me that Tesla had gotten rid of that "Submit" button during my week of deciding what I wanted. Guess everyone felt it was a bit of a "nuclear option" button? Things could definitely be handled better. But, I agree with some other posts, in that in the last two days I have now received two emails that confirm what I ordered.

However, I assumed red calipers were "standard" as they are a no-charge option. I double-checked my order after seeing this thread to make sure they were on there as they weren't something on my radar since they are "no charge," which I assumed meant standard.

Something needs to be rectified here by Tesla, imo. I would never have thought my MS would have come with anything other than red calipers.

I am very new to Tesla. Had an option on Model X, but realized I am now done with SUVs as my daughters are all driving or very close to it. I placed an order last week for a Model S. During that week, they changed the "buttons" on the MyTesla page and got rid of the one that said something like "submit my order." It was very strange to not see it, after worrying every time I changed a config that I might accidentally choose something I didn't want and get stuck with it. For that reason, I told my OA (Owner Advisor?) that I wanted to speak with a "real live person" to confirm the options I wanted. We did that and he told me that Tesla had gotten rid of that "Submit" button during my week of deciding what I wanted. Guess everyone felt it was a bit of a "nuclear option" button? Things could definitely be handled better. But, I agree with some other posts, in that in the last two days I have now received two emails that confirm what I ordered.

However, I assumed red calipers were "standard" as they are a no-charge option. I double-checked my order after seeing this thread to make sure they were on there as they weren't something on my radar since they are "no charge," which I assumed meant standard.

Something needs to be rectified here by Tesla, imo. I would never have thought my MS would have come with anything other than red calipers.

Don't leave us in suspense. Had you actually ordered the red calipers or hadn't you?

Yes, sorry, I did. I didn't think it was possible to "uncheck" them at that point. But looks like you can click on it and it un-checks them. Strange that it would be so subtle. But I did several reconfigs and that's why I wanted a verbal with a real-live person to make sure I submitted what I wanted. This would not be easy for the un-techy, that's for sure!

Eventually after a lot of stress

Stress over a different color calipers? First world problems, eh?

Personally, I would de-badge the p90d and keep the black calipers = sleeper. But I guess some people just want to show off.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't know you could get a P90D without the red calipers. The configurator says they're standard with the P85D/P90D.

Tesla Red Brake Calipers

Tesla Red four piston Brembo brake calipers.

Included

Requires P85D

I was curious myself so I went on the teslamotor.com website and chose the p85d from the 70d and boom! auto checked red calipers.
Then I hit the refresh button and chose the 85D option - red calipers went away. From the 85D option I chose P85D - boom! red calipers. The only way where the black calipers were chosen is if I unchecked the "Tesla Red Brake Caliper" option.

Honestly for now I'm a bit bummed but what can you do. It's definitely a blemish on the car in my opinion. I think part of the problem is that this car is one you build yourself from the bottom up and you want it to be perfect. Especially when the cost of the additional change was zero. It would have cost me zero. I think automation is good but the company should have taken care of making this issue right. Preferably by having the sales person checking the final configuration and secondly by unequivocally offering to change them out. I was the one who came up with the compromise. Their idea was to either buy a different car and wait a month (but I turned my lease In yesterday so not an option) or buy a CPO. A cpo when I just spent $130k on a car???? At the end of the day it's a massive pain in the ass and I'll always know it wasn't the way I wanted it. Yes I'll get over it and I'm making the best of it but I think I seriously am very turned off the company as an institution. It's not a different experience. It's the same old thing. The car is amazing and I'm glad I bought it but it's s cloud on an otherwise great day.

This one communication error that they resolved has you writing off the entire company? Did they not send you the final configuration after the changes were made on the phone? It was a purely cosmetic part, it's not like they delivered a 70D when you ordered the P85D or added a Pano roof when you didn't want one. Both of those mistakes would require an entirely new car. All they had to do was swap out the rotors.

I don't know why they initially didn't just switch them out. Maybe they rightfully felt that you agreed to the final configuration as was written (you said it wasn't on there so it wasn't on there).

- - - Updated - - -

No charge typically means they don't charge for the option, not that it is automatically included with the car. Unless it's actually listed on your configuration it isn't there. I understand the confusion though. That's why pouring over the configuration e-mail as you did was a smart thing to do.

Its all about training and care. You are man enough to accept that you did not look carefully enough on the configuration doc. I can understand the excitement you had when you were about to sign the final order form. Who would not be! For a $130k purchase, a well trained sales staff would calmly go over the order once more, item by item, to make sure you do not miss anything. He/She might even asked the "you sure you don't want this Red Caliper even when it is free?". But now you know, you have to watch out for yourself :scared:. Many post will tell you that Tesla is not a great communicator to the customer. I had my unpleasant experience myself, but I will not elaborate here since it had passed. To this date, while I enjoy my car, I hesitate to recommend my friends and neighbours no matter the referral program.

Glad that you got the Red Caliper. Congratulations.

Guys

Major major major update

I was looking through my files this am and guess what? The red calipers WERE on my final order confirmation. The tesla dealership gave me the total run around yesterday and they were wrong!!!!

I've emailed them (without saying I told you so) but let's see what they do.

f30538709753438615a1513b3ce21f52.jpg

Strangely it didn't appear in the final configuration but surely this is now totally on them????

Guys

Major major major update

I was looking through my files this am and guess what? The red calipers WERE on my final order confirmation. The tesla dealership gave me the total run around yesterday and they were wrong!!!!

I've emailed them (without saying I told you so) but let's see what they do.

Strangely it didn't appear in the final configuration but surely this is now totally on them????

Looks like it's on them - it's on your order agreement. :)