Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resolved! Ranger Service for Due Bill Items

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm bummed that my $100k S is short of a $20 frunk net and mats for rear passengers (I guess they weren't counting on me having kids in the back?!?!).

I'll probably order them at some point but it's a seriously short sighted.

Mods feel free to move if not in the appropriate thread:

Now that the Ranger Service payment issue on due items has reportedly been resolved, can anyone please share their experience on how long they had to wait for delivery of their spoiler after taking delivery of the car? I can't seem to get anyone at TM to provide me with a time estimate. I'm not complaining that they delivered my car quickly (actually, I'm thrilled!), but I had actually asked them to make sure the car was complete prior to shipping given that I live far from the nearest service center and was trying to avoid problems such as this. Also, is the spoiler an item that can be self installed (I'm not the handiest guy on the planet) or does it require a ranger?

Now that the Ranger Service payment issue on due items has reportedly been resolved, can anyone please share their experience on how long they had to wait for delivery of their spoiler after taking delivery of the car? I can't seem to get anyone at TM to provide me with a time estimate. I'm not complaining that they delivered my car quickly (actually, I'm thrilled!), but I had actually asked them to make sure the car was complete prior to shipping given that I live far from the nearest service center and was trying to avoid problems such as this. Also, is the spoiler an item that can be self installed (I'm not the handiest guy on the planet) or does it require a ranger?

I don't have a performance, but I sure would opt for professional installation vs. the risk of seeing fly away down the highway in your rearview mirror...

I waited three weeks for my spoiler. I had a ranger install it for me. You could do it yourself, the issue is to stick it in the right place. Once stuck it is there and can't be removed without damaging the adhesive. The ranger taped guides onto the car with blue painters tape. When he was sure that it was centered and in the proper position, he remove the adhesive from one corner leaving the adhesive covering extending from underneath the spoiler. This allows you to stabilize the free end and remove the rest of the adhesive covering without lifting the spoiler. Once all of the adhesive covering is removed some firm pressure over the length of the spoiler will seat it in place. If you follow this you can install it yourself.

If you buy the $2400 winter wheel and tire package from Tesla, it includes installation (including TPMS calibration). And a car wash. Just got mine done today, and there was no paperwork, let alone payment.

It apparently does include installation now; but that has not always been true.

I was charged $200 extra for installation last October (the site now says installation is included; at the time prices were not posted, but people here had indicated that installation was included, and I emailed my local service guy asking "correct me if I am mistaken - wheels and Eagle tires, tmps and installation for $2,300" and he responded with several options including "wheels, all-season tires and sensors for $2,300". I didn't notice he hadn't said "installation").

I tried sending Tesla email asking about this charge 2-3 weeks ago, but as usual did not hear back. So I called today, and was told that while they "very recently" decided to include installation, it was originally not included, so they were correct to have billed me for it.

And no, I didn't get a car wash either. I have only gotten a car wash once when I brought the car in (well twice, if you count the second time I asked them for it because I was taking it straight to an auto show). I guess that varies by service department, or perhaps by how busy they are.

FWIW: I just received an email from Tesla service that I would be charged a ranger fee for installation of my spoiler (due bill item). I thought this had been resolved such that Tesla would not charge service fees on due bill items. Perhaps the appropriate directives haven't made it out to the hinterlands in the Midwest. It would be great if everyone could get on the same page. I've forwarded the email on to ownership experience, with a polite, though slightly peeved response. Communication remains a bit of a problem and continues to result in unnecessary owner angst.

Being so close to the Service Center, this is less of an issue for me, however, I agree this is bad form and further believe you should not be charged the $100 Ranger Fee regardless of whether you intend to buy the Plan or not. Your car was delivered with a "problem" that should have been dealt with on or before delivery and the customer shouldn't be made to pay for the follow-up that was only required due to this issue.

This reminds me of how Zapped had his car dropped off like a FedEx package in Edmonton and had to unwrap it himself in spite of having paid $990 for Personal Delivery and $180 for Inspection and Prep. Now I believe Zapped didn't seem to mind, but that kinda seems like bad form to me as well.

Same her, picked up my car on Friday to try to avoid the $990 fee but no dice.

AnOutsider:
I'm not sure it's "resolved" yet. I was told by my service manager that I'd have to pay for a visit to install my spoiler when it arrives. I've reached out to both service and ownership, telling them GB said this was supposed to be on Tesla. I haven't received anything verbally or in writing stating that they'll take care of it...just radio silence.

AnOutsider:
I'm not sure it's "resolved" yet. I was told by my service manager that I'd have to pay for a visit to install my spoiler when it arrives. I've reached out to both service and ownership, telling them GB said this was supposed to be on Tesla. I haven't received anything verbally or in writing stating that they'll take care of it...just radio silence.

Sorry, thought he was responding to Doug_G's issue.

The only thing that I'll add to Doug's comment (as I think I was one of the first to be hit by the $100 request and reached out to Tesla) is that the above is only true on Tesla's schedule. For example, if you have multiple due bill items and Tesla is waiting for one of them so they can do a group of them at once, and you're insistent that they make multiple trips to you to do one at a time, you may be paying the fee.

From my perspective, as long as the number of trips is less than 24 right now, I don't care either way because it'll be applied toward the service contract when it becomes available.