Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resolved! Ranger Service for Due Bill Items

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that someone 'higher higher up' corrected the edict of the 'higher up', after seeing what was going on. (Good for Doug_G for not over or under stating the issue.) Charging for something like that is just not how Tesla has historically conducted their business.

Glad it all worked out.

As I watched this thread play out why am I not surprised this was addressed on a holiday, and a major holiday at that.
Of course knowing Tesla's past history it really isn't a surprise at all. Problems and mistakes will always come up and there will be many more along
the way. This is after all a never ending journey. It is how a company deals with problems and adversity that is important.

Deep down I knew that someone up there at TM would do the right thing. We (i) must all give them some space in which to grow. Disappointment was short-lived, thankfully. Congrats, Doug

Agree. Although the situation as described in the initial post is somewhat different, what other car company will deliver a backordered item to your door? I usually have to drive to the dealership. Same thing if they "forget" to finish the repair, or put the car back together again because the part is backordered.

In some ways Tesla is setting a new and much higher level of service...and there will be some things that need sorting out along the way. Great to hear that Tesla is paying attention to the customer and is able to make changes to their policy so quickly.

Agree. Although the situation as described in the initial post is somewhat different, what other car company will deliver a backordered item to your door? I usually have to drive to the dealership. Same thing if they "forget" to finish the repair, or put the car back together again because the part is backordered.

In some ways Tesla is setting a new and much higher level of service...and there will be some things that need sorting out along the way. Great to hear that Tesla is paying attention to the customer and is able to make changes to their policy so quickly.

While this issue has been resolved, and I hate putting too fine a point on it... I think this was a bit different. It wasn't a backordered part or a return repair visit, it was the incomplete delivery of a brand new vehicle. Tesla doesn't have a dealer network and relies on their Rangers. In this case, a visit was required as a follow-up to the new vehicle delivery process to handle something that was supposed to have been taken care of at or before the new car was delivered.

Doug_G

I know this has been resolved, but I thought you might be interested to know that I was charged the $100 fee for the Ranger visit for a warranty repair when my Sig was at your place last month. As with your case and others, they said they would subtract that fee from the cost of the service plan when they finally get that plan offered. While it didn't seem to track with what we were told earlier about ranger service for warranty repairs, I let it go since I'll be buying the four year service plan anyway.

I know this has been resolved, but I thought you might be interested to know that I was charged the $100 fee for the Ranger visit for a warranty repair when my Sig was at your place last month. As with your case and others, they said they would subtract that fee from the cost of the service plan when they finally get that plan offered. While it didn't seem to track with what we were told earlier about ranger service for warranty repairs, I let it go since I'll be buying the four year service plan anyway.

So warranty costs are only covered if you can get to a Service Center, otherwise you have to pay for the "Service Center" to come to you?? I'm glad I live about 4 miles from the Toronto Service Center... it'll simplify many things for me.

Yeah. Roadster owners were not charged for warranty work with the Ranger fee but that was also at the old $1/mile rate. Now that they have the flat fee, they charge for each Ranger visit which is fair I think. Makes the unlimited Ranger plan worth it if you don't live in a city with a service center.

Agree. Although the situation as described in the initial post is somewhat different, what other car company will deliver a backordered item to your door? I usually have to drive to the dealership.

Certainly, I can see how that sort of logic would influence their thinking. It sounds totally reasonable, especially if you are responsible for the service department budget.

Unfortunately Tesla cannot use conventional thinking. The situations are NOT the same. Tesla has a huge disadvantage that could be a total blocker for sales outside of a few major cities: they have a tiny fraction of the service depots that their competition have. Most cities have no service depot.

Tesla's solution to that is the Ranger service. This is an attempt to turn a disadvantage into an advantage. It only works, though, if customers are satisfied with the service. That means "doing the right thing" to meet customers' expectations.

Once you try to break the mold, you do have to actually break it.

- - - Updated - - -

Doug_G

Well my main beef was that this was a "due bill" item.

If it was a post-delivery service visit, I would have been okay with that policy - silly though it is - had I been advised about that beforehand. I wasn't.

The policy is pretty silly if you think about it. If you require Ranger service you'd have to be absolutely crazy not to buy the "anywhere" service plan. The "risk" that they'd get stiffed $100 simply doesn't exist. Treating customers like potential thieves is not making a good impression.

Sparrow, you are correct. The car must first be delivered as ordered, then they will change the tires for you at the service center. There is a charge for this which is separate and paid for to the service center, not part of the purchase agreement.
If you buy the $2400 winter wheel and tire package from Tesla, it includes installation (including TPMS calibration). And a car wash. Just got mine done today, and there was no paperwork, let alone payment.

Tesla charged me extra for installation of the tire and wheel package. I asked about it because I thought I'd heard it was included, and they "checked", and said it was definitely extra. I just looked at Tesla's site where they sell wheels online (HERE), and the price drop down - while not listing a price now because they are sold out - does say "installed". I guess I need to call them again.

I also got paperwork and had to give them a credit card. And they didn't wash my car, but they rarely do at my service center.

Back in early October I said I wanted to buy the service agreement (including Ranger service); they told me they would contact me for payment "as soon as they were able to process it." I've been wondering how they would handle issues in the mean time; this thread has been good for that.

Last edited:
The policy is pretty silly if you think about it. If you require Ranger service you'd have to be absolutely crazy not to buy the "anywhere" service plan. The "risk" that they'd get stiffed $100 simply doesn't exist. Treating customers like potential thieves is not making a good impression.

An odd paragraph in an odd thread. So this all "happened" between Dec 31st and Jan 1st? Did this require actual convincing, or just clarification, at the higher levels, of whether the "directives" were really meant to apply to due bill items (as well as 'everything' else) ?

Happy new year everyone...

Tesla has a huge disadvantage that could be a total blocker for sales outside of a few major cities: they have a tiny fraction of the service depots that their competition have. Most cities have no service depot.

Tesla's solution to that is the Ranger service.
Without Ranger service -- or, of course, a service center in Ithaca or Syracuse -- I would have had to not buy the car. I expect warranty service to be free, as it would be if there was a dealership in Ithaca or Syracuse. (Non-warranty service, I'll pay for, as I would if there was a local dealership.)

This is an attempt to turn a disadvantage into an advantage. It only works, though, if customers are satisfied with the service. That means "doing the right thing" to meet customers' expectations.
Yep. And this sort of nickel and diming gives Tesla a serious reputational problem, which is bad for the top line -- every piece of bad press on something like this drives away someone who might spend $100K on a car. And for what, $100? This needs to be dealt with by treating the warranty like a real warranty -- anything which goes wrong which is Tesla's fault, they pay for.

Without Ranger service -- or, of course, a service center in Ithaca or Syracuse -- I would have had to not buy the car. I expect warranty service to be free, as it would be if there was a dealership in Ithaca or Syracuse. (Non-warranty service, I'll pay for, as I would if there was a local dealership.)
Surely you wouldn't expect the Honda dealership in Syracuse to send a repairman out to do warranty work and absorb the cost? I've never met a dealer who would do that.

You are buying a car from Tesla. You know where the Tesla service centers are, and you know what Tesla's policies are regarding Ranger service. On what basis can you "expect" something other than what they've announced? If you don't like the service plan and fee schedule, don't buy the car. Tesla doesn't have a monopoly on cars, or even electric cars; no one's forcing you to deal with the company. But you don't get to dictate the terms and conditions.

Yep. And this sort of nickel and diming gives Tesla a serious reputational problem, which is bad for the top line -- every piece of bad press on something like this drives away someone who might spend $100K on a car. And for what, $100? This needs to be dealt with by treating the warranty like a real warranty -- anything which goes wrong which is Tesla's fault, they pay for.

You seriously need to rethink getting a Tesla unless you are just looking for a long battle with the company. It does not seem like a good fit for you from the headliner issues to threats of warranty violations.....etc

Warranty service was free for Roadster owners but that was when my closest service center was 1,000 miles away. Now I am within 100 miles of one. And the only Ranger service was $1/mile so flat $100 much better. I wouldn't expect them to continue free warranty Ranger visits anyway.