Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Restricted UK Supercharger sites - parking restrictions / registering / pay to park etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But in reality..
If I need to charge, 40 kwh fo 33 p (13.20 gbp) somewhere else for 40p (16 gbo) - that 4 gbp payment for parking almost makes it even.. then question is of convenience...

But nevertheless it is very stupid decision

But in reality..
If I need to charge, 40 kwh fo 33 p (13.20 gbp) somewhere else for 40p (16 gbo) - that 4 gbp payment for parking almost makes it even.. then question is of convenience...

But nevertheless it is very stupid decision
I know and I agree with you but my bloodymindedness nature kicks in at stuff like this. We knew that we'd want to stop at around Warwick on our way back home so did exactly that, Warwick was a stop, plug-in, loo, buy coffees (because we wanted them, not because we had to wait around as some YouTubers believe!) and then depart. Plug-in to Plug-out was 12 minutes and on we went.
So in that instance the convenience was no difference. Next time though if we need it, we'll just drive in twice.

Heathrow T2/T3 Superchargers in the Renaissance Hotel car park require you to take a ticket on the way in and get it validated before leaving. You get an hour free. Forgot to ask if Tesla drivers get a discount at the hotel bar for coffee etc, but will enquire on my next visit.

It’s a million times easier to get to than the T5 ones on the other side of the motorway. At the moment there are about 10 V3 chargers but it may also be getting Gridserve judging by the number of blanked off charging posts.
This now has a £5 for the first hour (with more for longer and there is a note on all stalls and the pay machine for Tesla drivers informing us of this) so it should be added to the table and flagged as red.
Surely this is against the T&Cs with Tesla to introduce a cost?

Yep, whoever signed the contract at Tesla made a major screw-up here. The first mistake was trusting Marriott and the second was allowing every minicab driver in London to block the site. They would push their way to the front of the line at reception in order to get the ticket validated and I suspect this rudeness means they are partly responsible for the change.

Yep, whoever signed the contract at Tesla made a major screw-up here. The first mistake was trusting Marriott and the second was allowing every minicab driver in London to block the site. They would push their way to the front of the line at reception in order to get the ticket validated and I suspect this rudeness means they are partly responsible for the change.
how do you solve the taxi issue? What do you think Tesla should have done?
If chargers are there then people are gonna use them? how do you stop them and would Tesla even want to?
I know in the free supercharging days they stopped the taxis at Schiphol using the superchargers but that was because the free supercharging excluded commercial use so they were breaking the rules. But these guys are paying I assume? or are they in on MS with the free charging in which case that is a bit dodgy if they are taxi drivers.

how do you solve the taxi issue?
Vast majority of traffic at this site is Mercedes people carriers which block a minimum of two spaces (and occasionally 3 depending on how badly they’re parked).

They can only charge at a maximum of 110kW and have huge batteries, which is why the whole thing is a disaster with queues down the access road but only 5 or 6 chargers in use.

Make it Tesla only, give the car park barriers a database of known Tesla number plates and you’re done. And maybe add a speed camera or two in the car park…

Eurotunnel terminal Folkestone. Only available if booked on crossing to Calais.

I know this is obvious, but it is displayed on the Tesla Superchargers map without any comments about being restricted access.
Very good point. I was on a Kent road trip for work recently and very lazily didn’t look at the detail of the charger at Folkestone. Turned up there with 30 miles left and was turned away. Luckily, there was a Gridserve charger a few miles up the road, but it brought out the usual cold sweats whenever I go off the Tesla supercharging network!

Very good point. I was on a Kent road trip for work recently and very lazily didn’t look at the detail of the charger at Folkestone. Turned up there with 30 miles left and was turned away. Luckily, there was a Gridserve charger a few miles up the road, but it brought out the usual cold sweats whenever I go off the Tesla supercharging network!
Annoyingly Kent is an SC charging desert, when the only one is restricted access.

New ones at Medway don't help East Kent either.

Dover - busiest passenger port in the world, you'd think a local SC would make sense....

bit surprised Tesla SuC are now on both direction of the service station in J1/2 of M4 which is more or less an overkill if combined with the 2 hotels. Have a feeling the T5 Hilton one will be going away soon - but if going west, north and south options are still limited...