Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Restricted UK Supercharger sites - parking restrictions / registering / pay to park etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning on a night stop at Charnock Richard Ramada tomorrow night. Can anyone confirm whether I can still access the local roads from the South side please?
Yes you can, you exit on the southbound side and go to Mill Lane (the public road over the motorway) then take the lane on the right into the northbound side and the hotel and Tesla SC are on your left. Reverse the trip to get back southbound.

Am doing it every week at the moment!

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Yes you can, you exit on the southbound side and go to Mill Lane (the public road over the motorway) then take the lane on the right into the northbound side and the hotel and Tesla SC are on your left. Reverse the trip to get back southbound.

Am doing it every week at the moment!
Thanks for the replies..that'll save me a bit if time at the end of a long day

The access arrangements for Heathrow T5 Supercharger have changed and should be recategorized as Yellow. Entry and Exit is now controlled by ANPR and tickets are no longer issued, you get up to 45 minutes stay without payment if charging and as there are no tickets there is no validation required, just exit within the 45 minute window and the barrier opens automatically. Signage in the charging area of the car park has been updated to reflect this.

The access arrangements for Heathrow T5 Supercharger have changed and should be recategorized as Yellow. Entry and Exit is now controlled by ANPR and tickets are no longer issued, you get up to 45 minutes stay without payment if charging and as there are no tickets there is no validation required, just exit within the 45 minute window and the barrier opens automatically. Signage in the charging area of the car park has been updated to reflect this.
It should never really have been red IMO - you have never risked getting fined there. Worst case you just had to pay the standard parking fee for the car park. Maybe we need a new "orange" category between red and yellow :)

The signage says 30 minutes free. Can we assume if the gate opens, you're in the clear? Would you be prompted for payment at the gate if going over the free time?

Charnock Richard no longer accessible via the lane. There are new barriers in place which are closed. We're nightstopping, northbound fortunately, and the Marriot gave us the usual warning about no access from the lane. But we've seen the new, closed, barriers tonight.

• Informative
Reactions: Overworked
Northampton SC at M1

Northampton, UK - Grange Park​

Northampton Campanile Hotel
Junction 15, M1 Loake Close, Grange ParkNN4 5EZ Northampton

Once there you have to go to the lobby and register on one of the Tablets within 10 minutes of arrival. (according the signanage).

You register as the "Tesla Supercharger".

Thanks, can confirm 45 minutes was fine with no need to do anything. "Free passage" smiley face shows at the gate on exit.

Warning re: London Heathrow T5 Supercharger: I've seen an update on the TOUK Facebook group that the charges were changed this week (as of 17-Sep-23).

New rates (from photo of Smart Parking tariff sign, taken this week):
First 15 minutes free
Up to 30 minutes £2.00
Up to 2 hours £4.00
Reportedly no concessions, e.g. fees not waived if buying a coffee from the hotel.

Warning re: London Heathrow T5 Supercharger: I've seen an update on the TOUK Facebook group that the charges were changed this week (as of 17-Sep-23).

New rates (from photo of Smart Parking tariff sign, taken this week):
First 15 minutes free
Up to 30 minutes £2.00
Up to 2 hours £4.00
Reportedly no concessions, e.g. fees not waived if buying a coffee from the hotel.
Plus an additional sign at the SuC, which was also posted to the group, saying:

TESLA PARKING IS NOT FREE. PAYMENT MUST BE MADE WHEN USING THE CHARGING POINT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TARIFF ON SITE.

So that's pretty unambiguous, sadly - no concessions for charging :( They even wrote it in capital letters, so it must be true...

Reactions: cezdoc and browellm
Plus an additional sign at the SuC, which was also posted to the group, saying:

TESLA PARKING IS NOT FREE. PAYMENT MUST BE MADE WHEN USING THE CHARGING POINT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TARIFF ON SITE.

So that's pretty unambiguous, sadly - no concessions for charging :( They even wrote it in capital letters, so it must be true...
This site is so quiet now since the parking charges have been introduced, despite competitive price/kWh. I wonder if Tesla is aware or can do anything about it.

T5 Hilton is pretty dumb in my opinion. I'd happily buy a couple of coffees with free parking but won't pay the parking fee. I was in and out, gate to gate in 14 minutes. Their loss and i'm sure they're going to miss my annual £8 for a couple of coffees!
I'd be really interesting in seeing pictures of the actual signage to whether there's anything about restrictions on re-entry. Not sure how they expect such conditions to apply to a hotel given that it's reasonable for guests to enter and leave at will. Who would park in a hotel to be told that if they leave, they can't return for say two hours or risk breach of parking contract?
If they do have such signage, my trips would be with two drivers, so each would be forming their own contract for two 15 minute sessions.
Can someone post the pics fo the entry signage and signage elsewhere?

T5 Hilton was always full of taxi drivers sat around on breaks or waiting for their next jobs and there was always rubbish/food wrappers left on the floor so I can understand why the hotel might want to get rid of (some of) the Tesla drivers.

Minimum £5 charge at the T2/T3 Superchargers now. So budget that into any charging. Suspect they’ve had enough of mini cab drivers leaving litter and blocking the car park loop. Having said that, whoever handled the contracts at Tesla has screwed this up since they’re letting the hotel abuse their position.

To pay, walk into the main entrance, turn left and then right under the “emergency exit” sign, you’ll see the payment machines by the back door. When I left the machine actually raised the barrier automatically and said “free passage” on the screen. Not sure if this is because I’d paid or not or something else, but will try chancing it next time and report back.

There are 11kW chargers at the Hyatt just up the road if you only need a small charge (50p/kWh). The Renaissance is a crap hotel anyway.

Last edited: