Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retractable Door Handles - Is It Practical?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think this question can be answered until the final ones are out and enough people are using them in day to day circumstances. Are they gimmicky? Sure. Doesn't mean they can't work well and be practical.

Respectfully disagree. When I had a chance to play with them at Santana Row, they "worked"... mostly... It was a bit iffy. I think you're right about the getting used to part, but no matter how much you get used to them I don't think they'll be branded practical.

Fair enough. I think we could have the best of both worlds if, as discussed on the other thread about the Fashion Island event, Tesla simplified the mechanism by simply doing the following (or atleast provided some setting in the console to do this instead of the current behavior):

- when the car is shifted into Park, leave the handles open like any other car.
- when the car's driven, once over a certain speed (say, 10 or 15 mph), the handles retract and stay flush till the car's parked.

Similar to auto-folding mirrors in BMWs and such.

Respectfully disagree. When I had a chance to play with them at Santana Row, they "worked"... mostly... It was a bit iffy. I think you're right about the getting used to part, but no matter how much you get used to them I don't think they'll be branded practical.

I still wish they had gone with the Aston Martin concept in the prototype car. Press on the front of handle and the rear rockers out. Get the same benefit of flush handles with none of the complexity of the current design.

I still wish they had gone with the Aston Martin concept in the prototype car. Press on the front of handle and the rear rockers out. Get the same benefit of flush handles with none of the complexity of the current design.

Anyone have videos of that in action? I picture it as press down on one end, then quickly grab the other end as it pops up, then pull the door open?

Anyone have videos of that in action? I picture it as press down on one end, then quickly grab the other end as it pops up, then pull the door open?

No real videos, but here are pics...

DoorHandle01.jpeg
car_photo_217882_25.jpeg

I don't think this question can be answered until the final ones are out and enough people are using them in day to day circumstances. Are they gimmicky? Sure. Doesn't mean they can't work well and be practical.
I think they're cool. And for folks w/ the technology package the handles will auto-present as you approach the car so you won't even notice them. If you have passengers I believe if you hit the Unlock button on the fob twice all the handles will extend so you could do that as you're approaching and no one will have to "wait" for their handle.

- when the car's driven, once over a certain speed (say, 10 or 15 mph), the handles retract and stay flush till the car's parked.

Similar to auto-folding mirrors in BMWs and such.

Made this exact suggestion at Fashion Island. They are in the mode of making those kind of decisions. The answer was my note above that the closing mechanism is quite safe. Does not mean they won't do a 15MPH closing though.

My 2 cents:

I carefully played with the handles on #65 (so, not sure if they are representative of the final product), but they were definitely capacitive for extension and motion sensing/IR for open. Lightest touch would extend the handles, didn't have to touch anything (like playing Doctor!) to hear the latch go (but required a pull to really open the door).

For me, the timing like this (thus, without the electronics package) was just the slightest smidge slower than I would like - but really, not slower than the Roadsters tap-and-pause buttons.

With the electronics package, I would be so diggin' on them. I'm pretty convinced they'll be darned slick.

(Where's my AWD Model W with all this stuff?!?)

Here's a video I shot this morning of the Aston Martin Vantage door handles that are on the first Model S Alpha prototype:

[video=vimeo;42230464]https://vimeo.com/42230464[/video]

I think these make a lot more sense than the electronic gizmos Tesla is apparently still wrestling with. The engineering effort that's gone into the Model S door handles could have been better used in so many other places, IMHO.

True, but I like they stuck to their guns. Similar to them not needing the falcon wing doors on the X, but it's a staple of the design at this point. They did seemingly step down on the mirrors though, so they at least have some degree of understanding of when to stop.

Yeah, I love the handles; one of the things that really got me hooked early on when the original prototype was unveiled. I had specifically posed that question when Tesla was soliciting questions last year for Franz to answer:

Model S: Designing the Perfect Endurance Athlete | Blog | Tesla Motors

Are you keeping the awesome door handles?

Franz: Yes! Door handles will be flush to the body of the car on every Model S. The handles are people’s first point of contact with the car. They should feel solid and inspire confidence, but they should also lend to the aerodynamics of the vehicle. That’s why I wanted the handles to be more of an accent, appearing when needed. As planned, they will only present themselves when passengers approach the car. Making the handles flush to the body improves airflow down the body’s sides, reducing the drag coefficient and extending range.

If they hadn't panned out, I'd have been fine with regular pull handles (and the probably very minor increase in drag and loss of range) - the Aston Martin-style ones look cheap IMO.

They look all beat up on the S Alpha-1, but in real life I think they look very cool:

2007-Aston-Martin-V8-Vantage-Door-Handle-1024x768.jpg

Here's a review gushing over them: http://jalopnik.com/5556819/whats-the-coolest-car-door-handle

Note the bars to identify where your thumbs go.

This reminds me of NASA figuring out how Astronauts would write in space. They spent a ton of time and money coming up with a pressurized pen. The Russians simply used pencils.

I love technology, but it has to be applied appropriately to the problem at hand. Given that Tesla is still tweaking how the handles work, and given that the handles mostly don't work on the Beta models, I'm predicting troubles for owners, especially Sig owners.

Maybe the first iPhone app I'll write is one that lowers the driver's side window so you can reach in and open the door after you've unlocked it, but don't have an exposed handle to grab on the outside.

This reminds me of NASA figuring out how Astronauts would write in space. They spent a ton of time and money coming up with a pressurized pen. The Russians simply used pencils.

Most of the expense for the pen (and the toilet seat) was because each Congressman and Senator had to have their input which caused the designs to be changed again and again.