Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retractable Door Handles - Is It Practical?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really hoping that the door handles (and the sunroof) will be operable for the cars that will be on display at Santana Row this weekend. I'd be a little spooked if there are lots of "this is disabled" excuses.
The pano roof has worked in both of the Betas I have sat in (Factory tour and at Menlo a few months ago). Only the door handles have been disabled.

Agreed. My hope is that the display cars have all features enabled so that they can be properly demonstrated.

The problem as described to me at Fashion Island is that if the key is in/near the car (which would cause the door handles to pop out), and the driver's seat belt is done up, the car starts! Just too much chance of bad things happening.

The problem as described to me at Fashion Island is that if the key is in/near the car (which would cause the door handles to pop out), and the driver's seat belt is done up, the car starts! Just too much chance of bad things happening.

I'm not easily convinced that their software engineers couldn't set up a demo mode with complete granular control of exactly what would / would not be possible to do at any given time. If the door handles are disabled, it's because they don't want people to use the door handles, not because they can't enable them.

If it works like the Prius, the fob has to be actually inside the car for the car to start. Even holding the fob close to the window--but outside will not allow it to start.

I haven't read the latest on the Santana Row thread, but related to this is that two of the four Model S (the two newest ones, #43 and #44 I believe) did have the door handles enabled. One of the store reps referred to it as a "stress test" for the door handles - no kidding, if they last a whole weekend of people yanking on them, they should be good to go...

And they worked suprisingly well, once you got the hang of it. A push and out it comes, fairly swiftly. Then all you have to do is put your fingers in there - you don't actually have to touch the handle - and the door unlatches. Then you pull to open.

But it takes a few minutes to get used to it. To stifle the instinct to just pull on it is hard, and if you do pull it, it tends not to work... The feeling of a simple touch to open the door goes against your instincts, but it's kind of nice once you get the hang of it.

My rational adult self is going "fine, whatever" about the door handles, while my inner geek is kind of excited. :smile:

I haven't read the latest on the Santana Row thread, but related to this is that two of the four Model S (the two newest ones, #43 and #44 I believe) did have the door handles enabled. One of the store reps referred to it as a "stress test" for the door handles - no kidding, if they last a whole weekend of people yanking on them, they should be good to go...

And they worked suprisingly well, once you got the hang of it. A push and out it comes, fairly swiftly. Then all you have to do is put your fingers in there - you don't actually have to touch the handle - and the door unlatches. Then you pull to open.

But it takes a few minutes to get used to it. To stifle the instinct to just pull on it is hard, and if you do pull it, it tends not to work... The feeling of a simple touch to open the door goes against your instincts, but it's kind of nice once you get the hang of it.

My rational adult self is going "fine, whatever" about the door handles, while my inner geek is kind of excited. :smile:

Sig Red Beta Door Handle in operation (opening when touched and door already unlocked -- no key fob), Final steering wheel, New touchscreen software in operation (much faster):

http://youtu.be/9PSygTIPqho?hd=1

Saw it working well in person today. Very slick when it opens the door once you put your hand in there. One of the Tesla reps (who works at the Santana Row store apparently) standing by the white beta somehow managed to get the tip of her glove (not her finger) get caught in the handle as it closed though!

Here's what the handles were like on the first Alpha Prototype:

Alpha1-DoorHandle.jpg

When they brought the Model S with Roadster drivetrain (same as in the video above) to Menlo Park for another unveiling party, I got a chance to use those door handles. The one I used didn't feel particularly ergonomical. It felt milled out of aluminum and had a sharp (though slightly rounded) edge where the fingers came in contact with the handle... not curved to the contour of the hand. Didn't feel particularly robust either, very much proof of concept. Also if you watch my videos, the behavior of the handles seem less than optimal. Of course by now they've had a couple of years to refine the design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0csRF1Sz-B0#t=82s

I believe the handle I tried back in 2009 had a switch inside similar to (or perhaps the same as) the hidden Roadster door switches.

I have to say after using the door handles last weekend at Santana Row, I'm very impressed with how the design has evolved. The handle felt very solid in the hand and had a good ergonomic feel to it. Instead of a contact switch, it seems to be using an IR optical sensor on the inside of the handle (on the body side). The mechanism works as soon as you put your fingers in the handle so that by the time you pull on it, the door has already unlatched. The operation seemed robust and reliable (based on the three times I tried it. Good job!

I have to say after using the door handles last weekend at Santana Row, I'm very impressed with how the design has evolved. The handle felt very solid in the hand and had a good ergonomic feel to it. Instead of a contact switch, it seems to be using an IR optical sensor on the inside of the handle (on the body side). The mechanism works as soon as you put your fingers in the handle so that by the time you pull on it, the door has already unlatched. The operation seemed robust and reliable (based on the three times I tried it. Good job!

I almost agree, except I brought my five-year old along who provided a different level of impatient stress testing. When he tried them by simply yanking on the handle the door would get stuck. Apparently it takes the calmness of an adult to first put your fingers in there, let the door unlock, then pull. (Yes, we're talking fractions of a second, but in real life it made a difference.) It didn't do well with a simple grab-and-tug.

This makes me wonder if the door handles have a mechanical fall-back function, as in if both the battery pack and the 12V auxiliary would fail?

EDIT: Watching my own video from him trying to open the door, I'm actually wondering if his fingers were just to small to be detected by the handle? (Which is also a bug, but of a different sort...)

Last edited:
Apparently it takes the calmness of an adult to first put your fingers in there, let the door unlock, then pull. (Yes, we're talking fractions of a second, but in real life it made a difference.) It didn't do well with a simple grab-and-tug.
This slight delay was added by Tesla's Zen master to ensure that the driver is in an appropriately peaceful frame of mind before driving.
I'm actually wondering if his fingers were just to small to be detected by the handle?
And this was added by the product safety team to prevent underage driving.
:wink:

And this was added by the product safety team to prevent underage driving.
:wink:

:)
Jokes aside, I'm a bit worried that if his fingers are not detected, it could cause the handle to retract and get his fingers caught. This actually almost happened at one point when the handle retracted, but I can't be sure if he had them in there or was just about to put them in. Anyway, definitely something for TM to look into before RC time...