Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retractable Door Handles - Is It Practical?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, do the handles present without a "tap?"

Yeah, but it also mentions that (presumably with the automatic keyless entry feature), When a driver approaches the vehicle with the key, the handles slide out and unlatch with a simple touch.

So - there is no version of the handles where the handles automatically present themselves without having to tap them first? I could have sworn at one point that the handles would present themselves without a tap as the key approached?

So - there is no version of the handles where the handles automatically present themselves without having to tap them first? I could have sworn at one point that the handles would present themselves without a tap as the key approached?

To help clarify, with the Technology Package (a $3k addition along with many other things) and the KeyFob in your pocket the handles would automatically present themselves with no need to touch anything as you approach the car and that is a question I asked a TM rep in the past for a definitive answer. I think you still have to touch the handle for the actual door to pop open but when I was playing with the beta models the doors popped open automatically without the need to pull on them, just made sure my hand broke the path of the sensors in the handle.

To help clarify, with the Technology Package (a $3k addition along with many other things) and the KeyFob in your pocket the handles would automatically present themselves with no need to touch anything as you approach the car and that is a question I asked a TM rep in the past for a definitive answer. I think you still have to touch the handle for the actual door to pop open but when I was playing with the beta models the doors popped open automatically without the need to pull on them, just made sure my hand broke the path of the sensors in the handle.
This is correct.

So freaking awesome. I can't wait. All I need to add on to it is an 'app' that speaks to me like K.I.T.T. once the door opens up, and I'll be golden.

So freaking awesome. I can't wait. All I need to add on to it is an 'app' that speaks to me like K.I.T.T. once the door opens up, and I'll be golden.

Hopefully as part of the Software SDK for the car you can program a name to the KeyFob to make this happen, along with maybe a quick update on news important to you, for example: "Welcome Prezpat, TSLA is up another 5 points for its 3rd 52 week high of the week and traffic on your way home appears to have a 5 minute delay so we should take the scenic route past that coffee shop which has a 50% off through Groupon offer today."

Hopefully as part of the Software SDK for the car you can program a name to the KeyFob to make this happen, along with maybe a quick update on news important to you, for example: "Welcome Prezpat, TSLA is up another 5 points for its 3rd 52 week high of the week and traffic on your way home appears to have a 5 minute delay so we should take the scenic route past that coffee shop which has a 50% off through Groupon offer today."

Brilliant. That's the beauty of allowing software updates to the car.

Pushing in the door handle triggers a switch to have it pop open. Pulling on the protruding door handles triggers a switch. Just like with the roadster.

They said they tried a capacitance version but the act of closing the door would trigger it open. So it seems that touching works for opening only.

The handle it only lightly held in (spring)?). If you got anything caught in it. Hand, ties, dress or other dangley bits would easily pull out.

To the contrary, I think the evidence so far has been fairly convincing; they'll work in the real world - may just take some getting used to.

Respectfully disagree. When I had a chance to play with them at Santana Row, they "worked"... mostly... It was a bit iffy. I think you're right about the getting used to part, but no matter how much you get used to them I don't think they'll be branded practical.