Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oof. Well, I had the opportunity to assemble A Bundle of Wires into the connectors tonight, and... wow! I really should provide more instructions. I made 2 mistakes in the first 5 minutes 🤦‍♂️ Thankfully, a male pin from the set works great as a release tool (fully and CAREFULLY push it into the release hole above the connector hole, at the connector side, not the wire side). Just be careful not to put angled pressure on it such that it collapses the crimp you're using. It's a bit tricky. 😮 Just... let me help you make fewer mistakes here. haha

View attachment 780586

View attachment 780587

View attachment 780588
View attachment 780589

And don't forget to press the TPA lock once everything is in place! 👍
FalconFour, just assembling my bundle of wires. Just wish to confirm that the 3 green ground wires (body harness side) are all connected mid harness according to the wiring diagram and therefore it does not matter which green goes in pins 14, 18, & 19?

FalconFour, just assembling my bundle of wires. Just wish to confirm that the 3 green ground wires (body harness side) are all connected mid harness according to the wiring diagram and therefore it does not matter which green goes in pins 14, 18, & 19?
Right, the greens go to whatever's clever, no particular order as long as they're supposed to be greens (grounds).

Let us know how it turns out 😄

Reactions: wlee
Right, the greens go to whatever's clever, no particular order as long as they're supposed to be greens (grounds).

Let us know how it turns out 😄
Thank you FalconFour, the connector is all done and looking sweet. A big shout out to you on the detailed wire work and all your research. My big fat fingers have trouble with the fine crimping; when I was on the bench 25 years ago, wires and connectors were bigger 😆 . Now I have to find me a CCS1 adapter for my M3....

I later test my GEN3 CP ECU retrofit with CCS2/TPC adapter in Taiwan. Three SCs were tested, one Tesla CCS2 V2 and V3 SC, and one third-party (TAIL) CCS2 SC (the equipment is from Delta Co.Ltd). Three different CCS2 SCs are all work very well.

Now for the people interested in this retrofit, the major difficulty is how to get a CP ECU and a high quality CCS1 or CCS2/TPC adapter.

Any one who is willing to sell me a GEN4 CP ECU 1537264-00-B, please contact with me.

Just chatted with @AlexUA to confirm what he want to say. He confirmed that GEN3 car can use GEN4 CP ECU with @FalconFour 's mysterious kit, should be no problem.

Adapter you have will NOT work with this ECU version over CCS2.
You need 20-B or adapter modifications.

Additionally, you need another (newer car) for this test. Yours will not drive after the update.

Adapter you have will NOT work with this ECU version over CCS2.
You need 20-B or adapter modifications.

Additionally, you need another (newer car) for this test. Yours will not drive after the update.

Reactions: FalconFour
Can somebody give me the part number is the EU ECU I need to make my Model 3 2018 CCS Ready. Thanks.
It looks like the EU Gen4 part number is 1537264-20-B from the info I've been able to find. (1537264 is the Gen4 base part number, and 20 seems to be the variation for EU)

Every Tesla owner should have access to the parts catalog at epc.tesla.com (just sign in normally), and from there you can browse through to Catalogs->pick your car->High Voltage System->Charge System Inlet->click the diagram->take a look :)

(keep in mind I can only say this works for NA cars... there are no EU cars/stations here to test with! And so far, I've heard that the EU version doesn't _quite_ match up properly... with EU, why would you need it anyway since y'all get the fancy native CCS port already? haha. Legit wondering why anyone with EU plug would need Gen3->Gen4 swap!)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Has anyone been able to test thermal throttling on V2 and V3 superchargers in the heat of summer with this retro-fit done? I kinda worry about the values in that thermistor causing some issues when its hot outside and you're. doing a superchare session at full speeds (low SoC pulling 250kw for the bulk till 40%, etc).

Reactions: FalconFour
Has anyone been able to test thermal throttling on V2 and V3 superchargers in the heat of summer with this retro-fit done? I kinda worry about the values in that thermistor causing some issues when its hot outside and you're. doing a superchare session at full speeds (low SoC pulling 250kw for the bulk till 40%, etc).

Thermistor is not related to HV part.
They are in "safe" near ECU spot.

I've not yet tested Supercharging in the summer heat, but yesterday may have been a good day for Supercharger testing (at around 90f). 🤔 Instead, I ended up at a newly built CCS station with my EVHub adapter, pulling 190kW for a reasonable time. Supercharging seems to stay fairly cooler (thus faster) than using the CCS adapter (keeping in mind that my adapter is an older revision as well). For what it's worth, at least :)

So I bought a used ECU Gen 4 from a totalled car and the harness bundle from FalconFour and now my 2018 Model 3 is CCS Activated and it works with the CCS1 adapter I bought from Tesla Korea. Very Simple to do and it only cost me 140$ to do the retrofit!

Attachments

• 20220408_093009.jpg
    20220408_093009.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 457
Status
Not open for further replies.