Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh... seems you can always update the first post in a thread, just not anything else after a timer. I really like that feature, as forum threads can get really nasty over time and hard for newcomers to digest.

And hey, my service screen still looks the same ;) The curse of FSD beta, and lack of feature parity... FSD folks are kinda stuck on it 'til they decide to roll out whatever next new version of FSD tickles Elon properly. I could always get out of it, but... eh. I bought FSD to participate in its progress, so I stay! :)

Thats interesting on what you are saying for the first post. I am guessing that might have something to do with site support features or something. I am not involved in that so dont know the particulars.

Wow, well, for as hot-fire as Twitter has been today on this CCS thing (thanks to @BLKMDL3 😎), this thread has been uncharacteristically quiet.

I'll start, then. Of all the Bundles shipped so far, has anyone had any trouble assembling the adapter (or, put another way: completely f*cked things up) and need some help? While our friendly eBay seller doesn't offer support, that support can be had here. :)

who has two thumbs and a 2019 Model 3 that CCS charges? This guy. I’m in love. Thx @FalconFour
I would love to have CCS working on my 2020 Q1 model 3 as well, but the thing is that this is not officially supported in my country, and the car information does not show if CCS is enabled or not. In fact, I have already ordered the CCS adapter from Harumio even though I am not sure if my car works. If the adapter does not work for my car, the service center will certainly not be able to either provide the parts or service to retrofit my ECU. Doing it the DIY way is a no go in my country, as the Tesla service center here has strict rule for warranty, and any changes to the car will void it.

One of the advantages of having a 2018 with 114K+ miles on it, I am well out of warranty. I can do whatever I want to my car. Tap into the CAN bus? Yessir, no longer worried about backing it out before taking it in for service. Really the only issue I have had with the hacks I have done to my car is the foot trigger to open the frunk automatically got triggered by the guy at the carwash. That scared the pants off of him.

I don't think they noticed that I am OOW when they handed me a FOB for a loaner TM3 last week at the service center. Hope they don't charge me for it when I return it.

Reactions: Misterbee
Wow, well, for as hot-fire as Twitter has been today on this CCS thing (thanks to @BLKMDL3 😎), this thread has been uncharacteristically quiet.

I'll start, then. Of all the Bundles shipped so far, has anyone had any trouble assembling the adapter (or, put another way: completely f*cked things up) and need some help? While our friendly eBay seller doesn't offer support, that support can be had here. :)

Thank you @FalconFour for all of your R&D and generous help to the Tesla community. My CSS 1 adapter from Tesla Korea made it to Delivered Korea today, and I'll have it shipped to California this week. I just ordered the eBay harness adapter and hope I can get a Gen4 ECU when I visit Tesla later this month during my service appointment.

I'm a big DIYer with cars, electronics, computers, etc and could have built the harness (I already have a crimper, resistors, heat shrink, and maybe some of the connectors) but wanted to support your generous efforts and time that you have poured into this project.

Just to report successful install on my OG 2018 3 LR RWD from June 2018 (among the first Canadian builds). Using 1)Tesla CCS adapter purchased from Tesla Korea, 2) ECUv4 ("00" with the Qualcomm CCS chip ) special ordered from the local service center (Ottawa service center rocks!!!), 3) a firmware push requested with the Tesla app and 4) the magic bundle of wire.

The speeds I get are consistent with other reports.

Took me 5 weeks to get all this aligned.

After a 4 year wait, my car finally can charge E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E

Thanks again @FalconFour for making it happen!!

I think it's a bit of an art.
  • be helpful if you want them to be helpful. They'd like to solve a service request. Make it easy.
  • they may not be familiar with people that know a specific part number. Don't be uncertain or unsure of what you want when you go in, murmuring something about "haha see uhhh I uuhhhh there's this thing :D that I want? see? uhh".
  • Go in, and (in The Good Timeline):
    • "hey, I'd like to order a part by number."
      "Cool, can I get your (phone number, email address, last 6 of your VIN)?".
    • "yeah it's (...)".
      "cool what's the part number?"
    • "1537264-00-B".
      "wow you literally memorized that? lol".
    • "yeah kinda been a lot of research lol".
      "okay" (grey area where they may not find it / may show incompatible / may be right there / etc)
    • "here's your part :D"
    • "total is $152.78, use the card on file ending in (1234)?"
      "sure"
    • "we're all set, anything else?"
      "nope thank you kindly"
  • if they're like "nah" (The Bad Timeline):
    • it's literally in the parts catalog (may recommend pulling the EPC up on your phone in advance - use steps on previous page to access it).
    • it's literally "over the counter (no VIN)", that means anyone can walk in and buy it
    • it's not a high voltage part, it has no contact with high voltage
    • "no VIN" means you can order incompatible parts as long as you know the P/N, and have a VIN order it to as a customer. (example: I almost placed an order for the Model S Plaid Gen4 ECU earlier in this thread, except that it had a price tag of $600 or something and I'm like, lol nope)
    • if you need to keep them in stock for legit reasons, just tell me, but if you honestly think you're not allowed to sell it, please ask a manager (it's not YOU that wants to "speak to your manager", it's them that should ask the manager)
    • if even the manager says "no", honestly it's kind of a dead end. Try another SC.
  • Don't:
    • expect them to do it for you
    • expect ANY help with installing it
    • ask if you can return it if it doesn't work (that's what eBay is for - you can always sell it and there will be a hundred thirsty buyers in a day)
    • hold them up with half an hour of conversation if they seem to be anything related to busy :)
    • be so damn skiddish or over-protective/secretive that you make them think you're trying for industrial espionage or something. like, bro you're not a friggin spy, you don't have to act like you're protecting secrets or stealing something. it's a 100% legit transaction, just an unusual one.
  • This is where kindness and saving-them-some-hassle comes into play. Their workflow is: look you up -> look up the part -> find it in stock -> retrieve it -> pay for it -> :D have a nice day :D
  • if they're curious, go into detail about the CCS thing. It's the Gen4 charge port controller for the newer car, but there are only minor differences that can be used on old cars with a simple wiring adapter. Gen4 has CCS compatibility, but only on the -00- part, not the -80- part. I'll install it, and not be able to charge until I get an update. (hey, they could push a reflash to your car with 2 or 3 clicks from the page they're on - "is it quick to push a reflash request now?" wouldn't be a bad thing to ask). You can install/accept the reflash (update) at your own leisure, but it saves you a trip to service mode.
I visited my friendly neighborhood SC again today and they had precisely ONE -00- in stock, not associated with a car already. It was my lucky day, as I have a friend that's taking a long road trip out here to get the personal touch installation - and hadn't been able to acquire an ECU yet. Of course, the guys recognized me from my many previous visits, lol... and happy to know it's going well. So, hey, rub their back, they'll rub yours - at least if they're sure you won't become a Karen or Ken to them if it doesn't work out. :)
And if they don't want to reflash, go near their SC off hour, connect to the service Wifi, go in service menu (Google Tesla Model 3 service mode) and do the reflash yourself. You can't update that way (I tried), only get the same version you had before but it could be enough to get the correct firmware bits).

And if they don't want to reflash, go near their SC off hour, connect to the service Wifi, go in service menu (Google Tesla Model 3 service mode) and do the reflash yourself. You can't update that way (I tried), only get the same version you had before but it could be enough to get the correct firmware bits).

I've been in service mode a few times, but haven't tried reflashing. Do I actually need to do the download at the service center? Or can I just drive home (in service mode) and then do it at my convenience? I had assumed the latter would work fine.

I've been in service mode a few times, but haven't tried reflashing. Do I actually need to do the download at the service center? Or can I just drive home (in service mode) and then do it at my convenience? I had assumed the latter would work fine.
There is no download. You can only reinstall the same version of software that your car already has. Which is fine because, that will enable CCS1 adapter support unless you are on a really outdated version.

Yup, exactly - it just asks the system to reinstall what it had already downloaded.

It does take a couple minutes for the update icon to appear - but there's no download involved. I'd guess it takes a couple minutes to verify the downloaded data in the background before it presents the icon, maybe. But that's all that's needed... that, or just wait for the next update to come to you (if you're not able to get to Service Mode).

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV and TunaBug
Hi. I'm newbie here and need a help for clarification..Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a 2021 M3 SR+ (July build)..so it has gen4 ECU without modem (80-B I guessed)...info shows Not installed for CCS.

Before I get and replace with the 00-B ECU. I need:

Plan A

1) First drive to closest SC and park outside
2) Login to service mode and disable speed limit
3) While in service mode, drive home
4) Remove the trunk liner (can someone tell me if any trim should be removed and how? I can't find any video for it)
5) Disconnect 12V negative and the HV plug under back seat
6) Swap the ECU
7) Power on HV plug and 12V
8) Should see error, and in service mode screen, select something to install software
9) Wait for the software reinstall at home
10) Once it's done and reboot, should see CCS enabled
11) Exit service mode and put back everything and I'm done (no need to visit SC again)

OR plan B

1) wait for new software to arrive to my car
2) download the software but do not install
3) repeat step 4-7 from above
4) Once got power, install the software from software menu (assume the downloaded software can still be installed)
5) reboot and check CCS enabled

BTW, I also ordered the CCS1 adapter from harum.io yesterday.

Thx in advance.

Hi. I'm newbie here and need a help for clarification..Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yup, you've got it. Either plan is fine. Should really keep it to "get to service mode", though (the less written about it, the better). Yeah, you can drive in service mode and it'll stay through the power-cycle reboot. Waiting for an update is best, though - no need to log yet another "some rando playing around in service mode" usage case that'll inspire Tesla to "change the locks" again.

no Chance the wires from a junked 2021 M3 will work?
No, most definitely not 😂 Surprised anyone could reach that conclusion here. This is all custom work, building an adapter, not replacing wires.

Reactions: sonsondei

I have a 2021 M3 SR+ (July build)..so it has gen4 ECU without modem (80-B I guessed)...info shows Not installed for CCS.

Plan A

4) Remove the trunk liner (can someone tell me if any trim should be removed and how? I can't find any video for it)
6) Swap the ECU
8) Should see error, and in service mode screen, select something to install software
11) Exit service mode and put back everything and I'm done (no need to visit SC again)

OR plan B

4) Once got power, install the software from software menu (assume the downloaded software can still be installed)

Thx in advance.
You need the wires or you will get this error

Plan A

6) Swap the ECU

OR plan B

Thx in advance.
You need the wires discussed
You dont need wires for 2021 M3.
i have a 2019

Attachments

• E08BB7AF-96F6-4633-909E-C049714213F6.gif
    E08BB7AF-96F6-4633-909E-C049714213F6.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 214
  • 3C815BE7-D6AD-42AA-932A-0B08B901B1C3.gif
    3C815BE7-D6AD-42AA-932A-0B08B901B1C3.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 79
Reactions: AlexUA