Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS on 2016 S cost query

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received sn online estimate for £823.25 to convert for CCS adaptor.

Online I found this:

CCS Combo 2 retrofit service costs £280, including the cost of a CCS Combo 2 adapter.
upload_2020-12-9_11-49-50.png

www.tesla.com › en_GB › support

What am I missing here?

Just received sn online estimate for £823.25 to convert for CCS adaptor.

Online I found this:

CCS Combo 2 retrofit service costs £280, including the cost of a CCS Combo 2 adapter.
View attachment 615904
www.tesla.com › en_GB › support

What am I missing here?

I got my 2016 Model S converted a few months ago in the Leeds SC and it cost me £280. Reports are that it can also be done by ranger visit....

Reactions: IanMcL
Thanks Fly.Guy

I messaged back what I had found, to the service centre. Fortunately, they swiftly reassessed and £280 is the agreed priced. Had I not stumbled across the £280 quote, I wonder if the £823 price would have been charged or adjusted naturally!

That is a very good price. The £823 not.

Moderator comment - post moved

I am a long term (and probably ignorant) Model S owner. With my first (P85D) I had free supercharging and so used it frequently as my local SC's are only a 15-20 minute drive from home. In June 2019 I bought my current Model S, so no free supercharging! Due to the pandemic I have not had any distant excursions. However I will shortly be resuming my old schedule of family visits throughout the UK (mostly England) and will need to use the SC system with what may be CCS only plugs. My car has a Type 2 connection. I have read a bit (then got bored/lazy) and it would seem that I need to have a 'retrofit' at a Service Centre to enable acceptance of the CCS charging system.

Essentially, all I'm asking is for information:-

1. Am I right in my assumptions concerning the retrofit? If so, any idea on cost and wait time for appointment?
2. Could a 'Ranger' perform the upgrade?

This is probably putting myself at considerable likelihood of ridicule, but if you don't ask - you don't get!

Many thanks for any information anybody may care to give.

Last edited by a moderator:
However I will shortly be resuming my old schedule of family visits throughout the UK (mostly England) and will need to use the SC system with what may be CCS only plugs. My car has a Type 2 connection. I have read a bit (then got bored/lazy) and it would seem that I need to have a 'retrofit' at a Service Centre to enable acceptance of the CCS charging system.
Note that all of the sites that you previously used still have both connectors, and for cars without the upgrade the sites won't show up on the nav unless they are compatible, However, there are increasing numbers of new sites that are CCS only, and so the upgrade has a lot of merit if you drive arbitrary routes.

1. Am I right in my assumptions concerning the retrofit? If so, any idea on cost and wait time for appointment?
Mine was done by a ranger and cost £233+VAT=£280, which I believe is a fixed price inc parts and labour. Took about 9 months in my case to make the appointment actually happen due to various factors that hopefully you won't encounter!

I am a long term (and probably ignorant) Model S owner. With my first (P85D) I had free supercharging and so used it frequently as my local SC's are only a 15-20 minute drive from home. In June 2019 I bought my current Model S, so no free supercharging! Due to the pandemic I have not had any distant excursions. However I will shortly be resuming my old schedule of family visits throughout the UK (mostly England) and will need to use the SC system with what may be CCS only plugs. My car has a Type 2 connection. I have read a bit (then got bored/lazy) and it would seem that I need to have a 'retrofit' at a Service Centre to enable acceptance of the CCS charging system.

This is probably putting myself at considerable likelihood of ridicule, but if you don't ask - you don't get!

All covered here I think.

Ranger did mine at home in about 90 mins on my 2015 MS (since sold). Cost was £320 or thereabouts.

We're they not provided with cars in June 2019?

If your car has a type 2, then is it already capable of CCS?

Type 2 is the round bit at the top. CCS adds an oval bit to the bottom of the connector.
A CCS plug won't fit in a type 2 socket.
A type 2 plug will fit in a CCS socket but usually only for AC charging - you won't be able to DC charge with it as the CCS socket expects the DC on the extra terminals, not on the live/neutral pins.

That's possibly what zap-map means by "Tesla type 2" - type 2 socket with DC charging on the original type 2 pins.

A CCS plug won't fit in a type 2 socket.
A type 2 plug will fit in a CCS socket but usually only for AC charging - you won't be able to DC charge with it as the CCS socket expects the DC on the extra terminals, not on the live/neutral pins.

That's possibly what zap-map means by "Tesla type 2" - type 2 socket with DC charging on the original type 2 pins.
I was under the impression Tesla fitted their own connector. Turns out that is a US only thing. I didn’t know the standard type 2 socket could be used for supercharging.

Last edited:
Mine was done a couple of weeks ago, total cost £280 which includes the adaptor I now have to fit to a CCS plug before plugging into my S. ranger also changed a headlight under warranty and I don't think it took him more than an hour to do the lot. Naturally, I had to drive 50 miles to the nearest V3 only charger to test it out:cool:

I was under the impression Tesla fitted their own connector. Turns out that is a US only thing. I didn’t know the standard type 2 socket could be used for supercharging.

Yes in the UK it was a nifty adaptation using the Type 2 hardware but the only DC rapid charging that can be done with it is via (older) Tesla Superchargers so no DC compatibility with other "standardised" CCS or Chademo rapids. So as far as I am aware there are 3 different ports on Model S depending on whether USA standard, Tesla special Type 2 in UK, or the latest standard Type 2 plus CCS combined in UK/Europe.