Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit for Steam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for the ones who got their retrofit completed, are the parts number strictly internal or do they replace the entire unit? I'm hoping in a deluded unrealistic way that **IF** it was the case, a glimmer of hope would possibly yield to the availability of the swivel motors?

Reactions: Fulkth
I got a Steam Deck. It lives in my glovebox.
While I see a lot of your points guys.. the stress and headache of trying to get Tesla to take care of this free of charge is costing more than a $500 Steam Deck when you really think about your sanity.

I have been on steam for over 10 years. Have over 800 games. I really wish that my car could natively play steam as much as you guys trust me! But sometimes you gotta just know when to shut the door!

11 pages in no one has been able to (definitively) get Tesla to play ball. Give it a rest!
Nah, I'm not rolling over. Steam deck isn't even close to the same thing as an in-car 17" display with PS5 graphical capabilities with shared rear seat functionality (what was advertised).

I asked for a quote to have the work done. I'll bring the figure into small claims court. Worst case... it costs me $35 filing fee, charge to have a Sheriff serve Tesla registered agent, and some time out of my day.

As I see it, there's no difference between this and the "all Tesla Model 3 models come with all the necessary hardware for self-driving..." situation. And we know how that went.

Reactions: Mako11
Nah, I'm not rolling over. Steam deck isn't even close to the same thing as an in-car 17" display with PS5 graphical capabilities with shared rear seat functionality (what was advertised).

I asked for a quote to have the work done. I'll bring the figure into small claims court. Worst case... it costs me $35 filing fee, charge to have a Sheriff serve Tesla registered agent, and some time out of my day.

As I see it, there's no difference between this and the "all Tesla Model 3 models come with all the necessary hardware for self-driving..." situation. And we know how that went.
Let us know how it goes! Good luck

I am on the same boat. And plan to do the same thing as yours. Asking for a quote, negotiate with Tesla, and bring it to small claims court. Are you in Bay Area?

May everyone forgive me for not specifically asking for the entire invoice in the original request. May god have mercy on my soul.
Unfortunately the owner is not comfortable to share the full invoice. All we have is just a result from him (free upgrade) and a controversial free service invoice (no VIN) where Tesla SA possibly fight back by “we can’t verify the authenticity of this invoice and no record showing free upgrade in our system because of no VIN / this is just an estimate not final invoice /etc.”

Reactions: Fulkth

I can tell you performance isn’t even close to PS5 levels, - at least not at the moment. So either way you won’t be getting that. Please bear this in mind.

I can tell you performance isn’t even close to PS5 levels, - at least not at the moment. So either way you won’t be getting that. Please bear this in mind.
Yea.. what Neon001 fails to realize is that the the version of Steam in the Tesla UI is literally a port of the same API that is used for the Steam Deck. In other words, the software library that it supports is akin to the same amount of games that the Steam Deck can handle. The software running in the Tesla UI (the version of SteamOS) is the same as the “Great on Deck” category on the Steam Deck. It uses the same Proton compatibility tools due the main OS in Tesla being Linux based. Titles not “verified for Deck” can maybe be played but with unknown compatibility - this also means that due to the restrictions with Linux and Proton that most multiplayer games like Fortnight, Call of Duty etc can not run because the anti-cheat software used is not possible with any Linux device. So.. it’s very much not like a PS5.

Those paying over $2k or even those hoping to get a no-show default judgment are just going to end up with Tesla that can run Steam but in a limited capacity (just like the Deck). It’s only worth $500 - not $2k because it won’t run the same amount of games as our gaming PC’s.

Reactions: cwanja and WilliamG
Yea.. what Neon001 fails to realize is that the the version of Steam in the Tesla UI is literally a port of the same API that is used for the Steam Deck. In other words, the software library that it supports is akin to the same amount of games that the Steam Deck can handle. The software running in the Tesla UI (the version of SteamOS) is the same as the “Great on Deck” category on the Steam Deck. It uses the same Proton compatibility tools due the main OS in Tesla being Linux based. Titles not “verified for Deck” can maybe be played but with unknown compatibility - this also means that due to the restrictions with Linux and Proton that most multiplayer games like Fortnight, Call of Duty etc can not run because the anti-cheat software used is not possible with any Linux device. So.. it’s very much not like a PS5.

Those paying over $2k or even those hoping to get a no-show default judgment are just going to end up with Tesla that can run Steam but in a limited capacity (just like the Deck). It’s only worth $500 - not $2k because it won’t run the same amount of games as our gaming PC’s.
As a Steam Deck owner, I can tell you for sure that you’re dead right. The Steam Deck is a great little machine, but it will always be hobbled by the Proton shenanigans, and the Tesla is this taken to the next level. I agree it’s worth maybe $500 in the car, but the input latency, audio latency, and generally variable performance means you’re getting seriously ripped with a $2k+ retrofit. Please, everyone, just buy yourself a good gaming PC with that money, or, if you already have one of those, get a Steam Deck for you and all your children with that $2k.

And I haven’t even mentioned how awkward it is to play games with the screen centered (as all pre-Steam cars are). Oops, now I have.

So it was never free then? That's unfortunate. I doubt that guy would provide his full invoice as they'd probably just ask for 2k from him if he did. At least one of use (supposedly) got it for free.

I think the steam deck comparison or gaming pc comparison falls flat a bit for me. It's just so worth it to arrive somewhere a bit early and not have to worry about battery or ergonomics. If you gamed on your pc, then you need to worry about traffic and when to leave. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade if you have the disposable income.

I've also noticed this massive audio lag, but for some strange reason it only occurs during cutscenes for me. Was playing halo wars definitive edition and found audio lag of a good half second which is awful, in game however no audio lag whatsoever. I believe they need to fix something related to the frame rate.

Other things I've noticed, Sekiro runs about 10-20 frames slower on the tesla compared to steam deck. I investigated a little further and found that tesla is likely passing in the cpu at 2800 mhz, whereas the steam deck runs happily at 3300 mhz. Also, changing the resolution does absolutely nothing. Tesla seems to just revert back to native resolution, so there's no way to test FSR.

I've also managed to access the files system using retroarch's file browser, but have not yet found a way to modify or read files yet. It looks like standard Linux, but the drive is under /run/media/tesladrive. Hoping to find some way to decrypt the drive to shove some emulators on there at some point. Maybe I can sneak an ftp client on the VM.

That they both use the same API says nothing more than they share title compatibility, not how the experience plays on one vs. the other. A handheld gaming experience will never be as immersive as one on a 17" display with controller support and (simulated) surround sound. I never said I expect this will run as well as native PS5 games do, but Tesla still needs to deliver the advertised functionality: "PS5-level performance", "It can play cyberpunk. This is somebody in the car playing right now...", and "...so high frame rate; it'll do 60 frames a second with state of the art games."

I agree 100% that this isn't worth $2k. IMO this isn't worth even $500 of my money, but I shouldn't need to pay them a dime for it.

Tesla needs to grow up and get over this enthusiast-funded mindset where they believe they can over-promise and under-deliver and no one cares. They're more than a little boutique shop now, and they need to start acting like it.

Last edited:
I was kinda 🧂’y when I first found out our Pre-refresh-refresh S’ wouldn’t run steam apps as advertised.

Was kinda okay when Elon “hinted” that we would be made whole but then as others have shown us it is now. $2k+ upgrade.

My only solace is that if it is only for Steam games I really could not care less. I commute 2+ hours a day and the last thing I want to do is sit in my car in the garage and play video games 🤣😂.