Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit for Steam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing. No one will get any computer information details in their order agreement.like how much RAM I will have, how big the internal storage, technical details of CPU and GPU.
Based on the response from Tesla, it seems like the sales is a fraud, I bet 99% of the buyers don’t know they are getting 8GB RAM where they can’t play demonstrated games
I can confirm that Tesla is providing a canned response to all persons involved. I got the exact reply noted and when I rebutted the reply they refused to answer my state Consumer protection complaint. I will also look into "Squabble".

I can confirm that Tesla is providing a canned response to all persons involved. I got the exact reply noted and when I rebutted the reply they refused to answer my state Consumer protection complaint. I will also look into "Squabble".
Here is my response to the response from Tesla. I feel under the legal construct of "contra proferentem" they cannot stand on the MVPA:

I consider the response from Tesla to be non responsive to the complaint. The Motor vehicle purchase agreement (MVPA) is not specific to the feature discussed in the complaint. In no agreement past or present is this feature specifically denoted or purchased. Instead the feature would fall under the broad context of delivering the base car “Tesla Model S Plaid”.

Furthermore, Tesla responds “Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with a Tesla representative. Options, features or hardware released or changed after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.”

My purchase agreement occurred prior to the first delivery of ANY Model S Plaid therefore “available features and options” can only be based on what is advertised by the company. Thus I will specifically point back to the original complaint with modifications for specific rebuttal:

At the time of my order and delivery, the car was advertised on its website as having "up to 10 teraflops of processing power enables in-car gaming on-par with today's newest consoles" and showing the game The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on the infotainment screen. During the Tesla Model S delivery event (demonstrating for the FIRST TIME the features of the car on the first delivered cars), 3 days “after my order” (6/11/2021), Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla, narrated a video produced by Tesla stating the Model S infotainment provided "PS-5 Level Performance". He also demonstrated and narrated someone PLAYING Cyberpunk (a game offered on PS-5) in the car live during his narration stating it is CAPABLE of a high frame rate "it will do 60 frames per second with state of the art games".

Here is my response to the response from Tesla. I feel under the legal construct of "contra proferentem" they cannot stand on the MVPA:

I consider the response from Tesla to be non responsive to the complaint. The Motor vehicle purchase agreement (MVPA) is not specific to the feature discussed in the complaint. In no agreement past or present is this feature specifically denoted or purchased. Instead the feature would fall under the broad context of delivering the base car “Tesla Model S Plaid”.

Furthermore, Tesla responds “Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with a Tesla representative. Options, features or hardware released or changed after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.”

My purchase agreement occurred prior to the first delivery of ANY Model S Plaid therefore “available features and options” can only be based on what is advertised by the company. Thus I will specifically point back to the original complaint with modifications for specific rebuttal:

At the time of my order and delivery, the car was advertised on its website as having "up to 10 teraflops of processing power enables in-car gaming on-par with today's newest consoles" and showing the game The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on the infotainment screen. During the Tesla Model S delivery event (demonstrating for the FIRST TIME the features of the car on the first delivered cars), 3 days “after my order” (6/11/2021), Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla, narrated a video produced by Tesla stating the Model S infotainment provided "PS-5 Level Performance". He also demonstrated and narrated someone PLAYING Cyberpunk (a game offered on PS-5) in the car live during his narration stating it is CAPABLE of a high frame rate "it will do 60 frames per second with state of the art games".
The only recourse here is Small Claims Court. I filed a month ago and since then they've been served. Problem is that the SC Courts are majorly backed up and court dates are set ~ six months out! I tried to resolve this directly with Tesla and all you get is BS or no response at all!

So my used ‘21 LR (Refresh) lists “Infotainment Upgrade” on the MVPA …. What does that mean? Nothing was upgraded from the base configuration when it was purchased.
I believe Tesla considers "Infotainment Upgrade" the new "MCU3" and other design changes over the prior MCU2 in older cars. Tesla switched from an Intel Atom processor in MCU2 to a more powerful AMD Ryzen processor and AMD GPU. The display resolution also increased and it added the rear screen. In addition, the upgrade includes a new audio system with double the power and 22 speakers. It's not an upgrade in the sense of an option you could buy, as all 2021+ LR/Plaids include these upgrades.

I believe Tesla considers "Infotainment Upgrade" the new "MCU3" and other design changes over the prior MCU2 in older cars. Tesla switched from an Intel Atom processor in MCU2 to a more powerful AMD Ryzen processor and AMD GPU. The display resolution also increased and it added the rear screen. In addition, the upgrade includes a new audio system with double the power and 22 speakers. It's not an upgrade in the sense of an option you could buy, as all 2021+ LR/Plaids include these upgrades.

Well, right. I have MCU-Z - it’s a Palladium car (aka “Refresh”.) That’s my point. There is no ‘Infotainment Upgrade’ for any vehicle with MCU-Z …. Except for the quiet 16gb memory expansion — which I don’t have.

Was just weird to see “Infotainment Upgrade” on a Palladium …. It’s absolutely meaningless on these. Historically it meant the MCU1 -> MCU2 replacement on older S/X. On a Palladium, it means nothing.

(Edit for the record: I prefer to call these newer cars Palladium — since refresh can mean too many things. At least Palladium is clear as far as generation.)

Well, maybe we’ll be hearing from the new team soon:

I went through with this retrofit for my 2021 Model S Plaid and paid the $2,022.50 to install the new computer to play Steam games, etc. However, after getting the retrofit done, I cannot install Steam. Whenever I try to install Steam, it's stuck for multiple days with the message "Pending Download...:". Additionally, I no longer have FSD Beta, and my car's button to request FSD Beta is greyed out. I tried to schedule an appointment with Tesla to fix these issues, and they called me today to cancel that appointment as they said there is nothing they can do and that I need to wait for a firmware upgrade for which there is no ETA. So at the moment, I am out $2,000 to play Steam games which I cannot do, and I no longer have FSD. Does anybody else that went through this upgrade experience these same problems? My car says it is on version 2023.2.201.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 109
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 60
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 67
Additionally, I no longer have FSD Beta
That is to be expected anytime you get the computer replaced. It will come with likely the most current non-beta/FSD firmware. You will have to wait until the FSD beta catches up to the firmware you have before you will get it again. (Which could be soon, FSD Beta V11.4, that employees are currently testing, is 2023.6.15.)

I went through with this retrofit for my 2021 Model S Plaid and paid the $2,022.50 to install the new computer to play Steam games, etc. However, after getting the retrofit done, I cannot install Steam. Whenever I try to install Steam, it's stuck for multiple days with the message "Pending Download...:". Additionally, I no longer have FSD Beta, and my car's button to request FSD Beta is greyed out. I tried to schedule an appointment with Tesla to fix these issues, and they called me today to cancel that appointment as they said there is nothing they can do and that I need to wait for a firmware upgrade for which there is no ETA. So at the moment, I am out $2,000 to play Steam games which I cannot do, and I no longer have FSD. Does anybody else that went through this upgrade experience these same problems? My car says it is on version 2023.2.201.
I can’t believe someone would pay an extra $2k for capability that was promised at the time of the original vehicle purchase.

I had a similar issue when my computer was upgraded. It turned out that the car needed a map update to get FSD to work again.
The 1st time.
That came within a day, but SC being as they are they "upgraded" the car with an 8GB computer. (wrong computer)
The next time I took it in to get the 16GB computer, the car had functioning steam, but FSD needed to be installed. The car had 2022.44.30.2 (not FSD)
I left for town on a 10 day trip but 2 days after my SC visit, the car had 2022.45.13 staged for install. (FSD)

Last edited:
I can’t believe someone would pay an extra $2k for capability that was promised at the time of the original vehicle purchase.
Especially since it's such a second-rate integration. Frame-rates are crap, load times are crap, input lag is crap. Honestly, please everyone - buy a gaming PC (either desktop or laptop) for that $2k, - you can get a great one for that money that will blow the pants off the car. The Tesla may feature PS5-level hardware in it, but it doesn't run anywhere NEAR as well as an actual PS5, and take that from someone who has this in their car, and not someone who's annoyed he doesn't. If Tesla were to offer me $2k, - heck, $500 to take the Steam-playing hardware out of my car, I'd agree in a hot second.

Especially since it's such a second-rate integration. Frame-rates are crap, load times are crap, input lag is crap. Honestly, please everyone - buy a gaming PC (either desktop or laptop) for that $2k, - you can get a great one for that money that will blow the pants off the car. The Tesla may feature PS5-level hardware in it, but it doesn't run anywhere NEAR as well as an actual PS5, and take that from someone who has this in their car, and not someone who's annoyed he doesn't. If Tesla were to offer me $2k, - heck, $500 to take the Steam-playing hardware out of my car, I'd agree in a hot second.

But, on the brighter side, you can ride a horse in your EV (Witcher), if you like that sort of thing.

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
so no one has been able to get it for free yet?
Appears not. I am actually more perturbed that we did not get the left / right tilting MCU that was actually a line item on our orders in their beginning and removed as well. I spend enough time in my car commuting that playing games is the last thing I want to sit and do once I am done driving for the day. Having the swiveling screen is more of a miss than a poor iteration of a PS1 wanna be console for me. :confused:

That is to be expected anytime you get the computer replaced. It will come with likely the most current non-beta/FSD firmware. You will have to wait until the FSD beta catches up to the firmware you have before you will get it again. (Which could be soon, FSD Beta V11.4, that employees are currently testing, is 2023.6.15.)
This makes sense to me and explains why I don't have FSD and need to wait for it. However, I am confused about why I need to wait for a software/firmware update for Steam to work, given that I can see it in my car, I just can't install it?

This makes sense to me and explains why I don't have FSD and need to wait for it. However, I am confused about why I need to wait for a software/firmware update for Steam to work, given that I can see it in my car, I just can't install it?
Nobody else is going to be able to help you. As mentioned, I'd wait for a software update, or contact Tesla via the app and have them re-push your current software to the car.

Nobody else is going to be able to help you. As mentioned, I'd wait for a software update, or contact Tesla via the app and have them re-push your current software to the car.
Also would recommend this.
I’ve requested a ‘software reinstall’ via the app and it got pushed to me pretty quickly. Had an intermittent software issue that got resolved by it