Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returned MY Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disappointment is all I can say - order MY Aug 23 - 1 day before the cut off for extra supercharge miles for accepting delivery for Q3. Picked up the car Sept 28 (yaya Q3 delivery numbers push them out). Was raining outside wasn't able to see all the issues but noted the ones that where visible with the Sales rep to get repaired. Service appointment is over 2 and a half weeks out.

Upon bringing her home and deeper inspection found so many issues with the car exterior, interior was pretty much flawless. Did a 140 mile round trip the following day and it was raining pretty hard - glad to see there was no water coming in the car with all the gaps ! But what I did find was that the window wiper had a massive gap not wiping off the water... seriously!

Scanning the exterior at home one thing just lead to another and then on the 3rd day washing the car with two bucket method I discovered even more issues with the paint and what was worse was condensation in the tail lights....come on....see pictures. On the 5th day the drivers side window would squeak going down while opening the door and closing, it was catching something. MY owners all I can say is open your doors and see how much flex the doors have its unacceptable. A this point I had enough.

With all these exterior quality issue - it doesn't give me or my wife a peace of mind long term - what else could there be that we aren't seeing? . Reading the horror stories of multiple SC visits for some of the same issues it made the car worse or took multiple SC visits to fix - I didn't want to play this game especially having a 18 month old and number 2 on the way.

I really wished I rejected this last week instead of a full return and got back in line. I still believe in Tesla, loved the ride and the technology but the quality control really needs an entire overhaul.

Returning the car was simple signed a piece of paperwork and one of the sales rep totally understands why I am returning, tells me that there is people returning because of the quality issues that I've experienced. For a 60K car you expect a lot better quality. Will wait for the following year about my 12 month ban of the same trim to possibly order depending on quality.

Attachments

• IMG_1869 (1).jpg
    IMG_1869 (1).jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1916.jpg
    IMG_1916.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    889.1 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_2957.jpg
    IMG_2957.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_2948.jpg
    IMG_2948.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2946.jpg
    IMG_2946.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2934.jpg
    IMG_2934.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_2933.jpg
    IMG_2933.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2950.jpg
    IMG_2950.jpg
    873.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 183
Disappointment is all I can say - order MY Aug 23 - 1 day before the cut off for extra supercharge miles for accepting delivery for Q3. Picked up the car Sept 28 (yaya Q3 delivery numbers push them out). Was raining outside wasn't able to see all the issues but noted the ones that where visible with the Sales rep to get repaired. Service appointment is over 2 and a half weeks out.

Upon bringing her home and deeper inspection found so many issues with the car exterior, interior was pretty much flawless. Did a 140 mile round trip the following day and it was raining pretty hard - glad to see there was no water coming in the car with all the gaps ! But what I did find was that the window wiper had a massive gap not wiping off the water... seriously!

Scanning the exterior at home one thing just lead to another and then on the 3rd day washing the car with two bucket method I discovered even more issues with the paint and what was worse was condensation in the tail lights....come on....see pictures. On the 5th day the drivers side window would squeak going down while opening the door and closing, it was catching something. MY owners all I can say is open your doors and see how much flex the doors have its unacceptable. A this point I had enough.

With all these exterior quality issue - it doesn't give me or my wife a peace of mind long term - what else could there be that we aren't seeing? . Reading the horror stories of multiple SC visits for some of the same issues it made the car worse or took multiple SC visits to fix - I didn't want to play this game especially having a 18 month old and number 2 on the way.

I really wished I rejected this last week instead of a full return and got back in line. I still believe in Tesla, loved the ride and the technology but the quality control really needs an entire overhaul.

Returning the car was simple signed a piece of paperwork and one of the sales rep totally understands why I am returning, tells me that there is people returning because of the quality issues that I've experienced. For a 60K car you expect a lot better quality. Will wait for the following year about my 12 month ban of the same trim to possibly order depending on quality.

That sucks. I’m sorry for that. You got my worst nightmare. I was so nervous after being on thus forum that I would be faced with rejecting a vehicle that I wanted so bad. I lucked out. A very few very minor issues. It’s unacceptable for a car such as Tesla to have such poor QC. I love the company but it’s just horrific to get a brand new $52,000 car and have it be screwed up on delivery day.

Reactions: cwerdna
Enjoy your ban !

Just kidding, what sales rep told you, how many rejects they have monthly/weekly?
When we did test drive i was watching older guy taking delivery and other then quick 1 minute walk around he didn`t bother checking anything else

Enjoy your ban !

Just kidding, what sales rep told you, how many rejects they have monthly/weekly?
When we did test drive i was watching older guy taking delivery and other then quick 1 minute walk around he didn`t bother checking anything else

:p can always order another but in my wife's name.
He didn't mention how many rejects, just his reaction it wasn't surprising that I was returning mine.
I also had a couple on the same day just walked around and hopped in and drove off didn't bother checking as well.

Reactions: polyphonic54
lol...I bet the Toyota or Honda has better quality control, you don't see people ranting or posting quality issues do you now?

Generally I would agree, but even those brands can have issues. Personally, we have had a Honda Odyssey (2010?) that was disappointing. Went through two sets of rotors with very normal driving. Honda did the first for free and then had to be badgered to pay for 50% of the second. Definitely a car and not a driving style thing, never had that problem on any other vehicle. Also had front end issues that required replacing some of the suspension components. All within the first 4 years of ownership. We normally own cars longer, but ended up selling it as it didn't have the reliability we expected.

More recently, we have a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid that ended up having an issue with it's gas tank not being able to be completely filled. Took 3-4 months of hassling to get them to replace it even though it is a known issue.

But on the other hand when my wife and I got married she had a Honda civic that was bulletproof. So you never know.

Based on your photos, there are some pretty significant issues but Tesla would have fixed them right? Personally, I have never done anything other than a cursory walk around with other vehicle purchases. It would have never crossed my mind to do anything more except for all the research I did before buying the MY. But honestly, after seeing the quality issues I walked around my Acura MDX and I was surprised to find issues on that build quality as well. So my conclusion is there are no "perfect" cars no mater how much you spend and everyone has to decide what is a deal breaker. That being said, Tesla certainly has disappointing quality and customer service issues but so far I'm lucky that nothing has been my deal breaker (my 7 day return period ends tomorrow). Hope they really try to improve and retain their customer base. Time will tell....

Here in PA, the government steals 6% when we buy (register) a car.
Do you get your 6% on the 60k back?

Sadly, this is the only way Tesla will get better. People unwilling to buy cars, not because they are electric, but because they are poorly built :(.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me

Scanning the exterior at home one thing just lead to another and then on the 3rd day washing the car with two bucket method I discovered even more issues with the paint and what was worse was condensation in the tail lights....come on....see pictures. On the 5th day the drivers side window would squeak going down while opening the door and closing, it was catching something. MY owners all I can say is open your doors and see how much flex the doors have its unacceptable. A this point I had enough...

With all these exterior quality issue - it doesn't give me or my wife a peace of mind long term - what else could there be that we aren't seeing? ...

Every time a new model comes out these same posts appear. If you want a car with less issues buy an S, X or 3. Or wait at least a year.

Reactions: gavine
Based on your photos, there are some pretty significant issues but Tesla would have fixed them right? Personally, I have never done anything other than a cursory walk around with other vehicle purchases. It would have never crossed my mind to do anything more except for all the research I did before buying the MY. But honestly, after seeing the quality issues I walked around my Acura MDX and I was surprised to find issues on that build quality as well. So my conclusion is there are no "perfect" cars no mater how much you spend and everyone has to decide what is a deal breaker. That being said, Tesla certainly has disappointing quality and customer service issues but so far I'm lucky that nothing has been my deal breaker (my 7 day return period ends tomorrow). Hope they really try to improve and retain their customer base. Time will tell....

Agreed.
Every car can have issues. The thing that bothers me the most is that Tesla doesn't seem to care. It's not that a car has issues, but it's HOW those issues are taken of, that generates loyalty and support for the company. Tesla doesn't give a xxxx about customers after they've paid the money. There are PLENTY of uninformed people excitedly waiting for their turn to get a Tesla vehicle. I'd say that this forum is not very well known by the public. That's also why there are a lot of stories of people coming here for the first time, and posting about problems that they didn't know were pretty "common" and are all "within spec". Lol.

Looking for perfection...I can appreciate it but...minor things.

Please don't buy another Tesla just buy an Audi and it will look pretty but you just wait. Or better yet buy a Toyota or Honda..
If anyone is going to be the undoing of Tesla it's going to be your type. You're the one that should never buy their cars or talk about them.

lol...I bet the Toyota or Honda has better quality control, you don't see people ranting or posting quality issues do you now?
I don't know, since I don't own those cars I don't hang out on those forums. I do participate in VW Vortex forum and there are plenty of issues with those new cars, especially the Arteon. And I recently saw a video about the Audi E-Tron (cost over $100k) and the owner had a list of issues with it as well.