Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the MY the best Tesla vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 MY. It's a great car and has most of what I want in a vehicle. Only downside is the unrefined suspension (good on flat roads, not so much on bumpy).

At some point I would like to upgrade and have been looking at the S and X. However, after reading about them, it appears they have more problems than the MY such as worse quality build, shuddering on acceleration, axel issues, falcon door issues, no USS, no stalks, button horns, etc.

Is the MY the best Tesla has to offer? If I want an upgrade, is my only option to look elsewhere?

No.
It's model 3.
d0iav10-e1461755819493.jpg

At some point I would like to upgrade and have been looking at the S and X. However, after reading about them, it appears they have more problems than the MY such as worse quality build, shuddering on acceleration, axel issues, falcon door issues, no USS, no stalks, button horns, etc.
What's best for you isn't necessarily what's best for others. We own a 2023 S and a 2023 Y, and have owned a 2018 3 and two other S's, and I don't think most of the issues you list are things most owners experience (I haven't). None of the cars have USS at this point. I've gotten used to the missing stalks on my S.

Only downside is the unrefined suspension (good on flat roads, not so much on bumpy).
Is the MY the best Tesla has to offer? If I want an upgrade, is my only option to look elsewhere?

I wonder if Tesla will ever offer air suspension upgrade for the Model 3 and Y,
I remember that Sandy Munro, when making a teardown, mentioned that
there was some braces already installed that could be used for that purpose.

Most S/X owners love their cars. What OP has listed is what some posters have pointed out are their shortcomings. Complaints like these can be typically found on most auto enthusiasts forums.

S/X are indeed premium versions sedans and SUVs. They have smooth air ride, adaptable suspensions, advanced aluminum chassis, variable ride heights, superior off road capabilities, ventilated heated & Cooled seats, Heated steering wheels/yokes, larger tires, brakes, battery packs. Better range, quicker charging, superior sound systems, larger displays, separate drivers display, rear seat displays, plus many other enhancements.

They are priced higher than their smaller cousins, but with available tax credits, often net similar pricing.

• Informative
Reactions: bobbyjae
I have a 2021 MY. It's a great car and has most of what I want in a vehicle. Only downside is the unrefined suspension (good on flat roads, not so much on bumpy).

I’m completely content with my 2022 Red, MYP, my wife & I love it, best of both worlds.

We live in the Northeast, and love everything about our model Y except the suspension, which handles our usually under construction, pot-holed roads very poorly. I'm weary of the constant side to side whipsawing, though good foe building up core muscles!:oops:.

However--we drove it out to LA and have been here for a few months--a revelation! Beautiful smooth roads--no suspension issues. My theory is that the car was designed for warm weather by people here, who have no conception of what winters and freeze-thaw cycles do to roads in the Northeast and elsewhere. We'll also get to see if the corrosion protection extends to road-salt environments over the next years!

If you haven't already, why not book some test drives of the latest S3XY lineup? I have a 2021 MYP and have test driven the latest S, X, Y in the last year for fun. What I've found is that I while the S & X are nice, they don't really make me want to switch, and they felt a tad too big. The X I test drove (around 300 miles on odometer) also had some seemingly subpar build quality (dangling weather seals on front doors, some audible rattle, slight vibration in steering wheel) so that kind of turned me off to it. I drove a 2023 MYP and really could not tell if the suspension was that much smoother (could be that I'm just not that sensitive to it), so I guess the ride quality of the 2021 is fine for me.

I think if I was to switch to another Tesla in the future, given that they will be getting rid of the stalks in all future vehicles, I will want one with steer by wire like the Cybertruck. That's the only setup that makes sense for having those turn signal buttons on the steering wheel, IMO.

The Y is a great package except for the ride quality as mentioned. The new Highland Model 3 is said to be a big improvement over the previous model in this respect and also has a 20% quieter cabin so one must assume the same improvements will be carried over to the new Juniper Y. Personally I will be holding out for Juniper, trading in my 2020 when the time comes.

I keep hearing about the S being big in comparison. Although it is bigger it is only 8.6" longer and less than 2" wider. The Y is much higher though. Having both the Y and the S in my garage, the Y looks much bigger than the S due to its hatch and roof height.

I wonder if Tesla will ever offer air suspension upgrade for the Model 3 and Y,
I remember that Sandy Munro, when making a teardown, mentioned that
there was some braces already installed that could be used for that purpose.
The suspension is my biggest complaint about my MY, too. Supposedly newer versions have improved; I don’t know if that was before or after the OP got his/her car. Offering an air suspension option would be killer, IMO, but they could also just improve the regular suspension and offer a touring version. Most people just want to drive their cars, not race them on a track.

Reactions: bobbyjae

Drag out the use of your 2021 and then snag a CT