Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the MY the best Tesla vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can tell you that the 2023 MYP handles like a go cart in comparison to my 2017 S100D and 2018 X100D. It has no noticeable body roll and the suspension is tight and quiet, yet compliant on most roads. I've never driven a 3P, but I can't imagine it being much of an improvement in handling over the 2023 YP.

I can tell you that the 2023 MYP handles like a go cart in comparison to my 2017 S100D and 2018 X100D. It has no noticeable body roll and the suspension is tight and quiet, yet compliant on most roads. I've never driven a 3P, but I can't imagine it being much of an improvement in handling over the 2023 YP.
You would be wrong. YP was amongst the worst handling cars I've driven. 3P isn't fantastic, but still much better

I've driven all of them, including the Plaid versions.

IMO the Model Y is the "best" for most people. Its the easiest to live with daily, carry lots of people or stuff, load/unload people & stuff, the driving position is upright & comfortable, available factory tow hitch (which is incredibly useful even if you never pull a trailer).. and its still very affordable. The Model X is overcomplicated and feels like an expensive minivan with gimmicks. The Model S is basically a 4-door sports car.. which does make it more fun to drive and the range is incredible.. but the Model Y still has much more utility. The 1000hp power from the tri-motor Plaid S/X is pretty much useless on the street.. I promise you the regular S/X are both.. already THAT fast!

As for the Model 3.. there are only three reasons I can think of to buy the 3 instead of the Y:
1) You want the cheapest Tesla
2) You want the best handling Tesla
3) You want the most efficient Tesla

In pretty much every other category the Y is going to be flat out more useful for practically anyone. Even a single guy, with no wife or kids. Its just so much easier to transport your dog or bring home big items from Home Depot, Costco, etc.. or put a mountain/road bike(s) on a tow hitch carrier.. its even easier to camp/sleep/work/vacation/tailgate in. The seats fold down to provide a completely flat cargo floor that is priceless for carrying bigger items or even a mattress. And the rear seat has 5 additional inches of legroom vs the Model 3.. which makes the Model Y awesome for big people (or big friends & family).. and long trips. Who doesn't like extra legroom.. even airlines charge another $100 for it. Hell, the Model Y still has a round steering wheel w/regular horn pad in the center and stalks for turn signals/shifter/high-beams/wipers/autopilot!!! It's a simple package, that works much better than you'd ever imagine.

Even acceleration is awesome.. the MYP is fast enough to accomplish any "racing" you are doing on a public street. You can swap the heavy OE 21" Ultraturbines for a 19" lightweight wheel/tire setup that will save you 20 lbs of rolling weight at each corner. Anybody who knows anything about performance.. knows just how important shaving rotational mass increases performance. It gives you quicker acceleration, shorter braking, and better handling. It also drops the 0-60 time down from 3.5 seconds, to between 3.1 and 3.2 seconds. Finally, you gain the ability to run a squared wheel/tire setup so you can easily rotate tires when needed.

There should be no questions about why the Model Y is not just the best-selling Tesla.. but the best-selling vehicle on the entire market, regardless of powertrain. It just checks most of the boxes your typical driver is looking for. You couldn't pay me to go back to driving a small sedan, with a trunk.. instead of a midsize SUV with a hatchback & tow hitch. I'd honestly rather have my 2018 CRV back than drive a Model 3. The midsize crossover SUV is the perfect form factor for someone like myself who is a married homeowner with small kids.

Last edited:
You would be wrong. YP was amongst the worst handling cars I've driven. 3P isn't fantastic, but still much better
Either you're exaggerating tremendously, not driven many vehicles or you've only driven a messed up YP.

It's not possible for the best selling vehicle to also be the worst handling, or the worst at anything actually. Which leave no option other than you're not being honest or had a one-off bad experience.

Either you're exaggerating tremendously, not driven many vehicles or you've only driven a messed up YP.

It's not possible for the best selling vehicle to also be the worst handling, or the worst at anything actually. Which leave no option other than you're not being honest or had a one-off bad experience.
I've probably driven more vehicles than most people here, especially high performance vehicles. I've driven more than one model Y, but have the most seat time behind an MYP. Does not change my assessment. Absolutely terrible suspension. About what I'd expect from taking a sedan and lifting it without reengineering anything -- which is more or less what they did for the model Y.

It's absolutely possible for the best selling vehicle to handle poorly. Prior to the model Y, the best selling car was the Toyota Camry. Those do not handle particularly well. Most consumers wouldn't know a good handling vehicle if you slapped them in the face with it.

Get both
1701972594407.jpeg

In just about every practical metric, the Model Y is superior to the 3. The only areas the 3 exceeds the Y is in efficiency (smaller frontal area), nimbleness (lighter and lower) and slightly quicker acceleration. The Y exceeds the 3 in ease of ingress and egress, visibility, cargo capacity and accessibility. Otherwise they're pretty much identical vehicles.

This has me wondering if anyone has ever had their M3P or MYP up to their theoretical top speeds. I don't recall ever reading or seeing anyone attempt this. Basically, anything over 120 mph isn't feasible on anything short of a dedicated race track.
In just about every practical metric, the Model Y is superior to the 3. The only areas the 3 exceeds the Y is in efficiency (smaller frontal area), nimbleness (lighter and lower) and slightly quicker acceleration. The Y exceeds the 3 in ease of ingress and egress, visibility, cargo capacity and accessibility. Otherwise they're pretty much identical vehicles.

This has me wondering if anyone has ever had their M3P or MYP up to their theoretical top speeds. I don't recall ever reading or seeing anyone attempt this. Basically, anything over 120 mph isn't feasible on anything short of a dedicated race track.
I have driven my MYLR top speed several times on wide-lane straitish country roads with good visibility here in Md. and in WV and on highways on long trips. It went 137 although it’s technically limited to 135. I kinda wish I’d got the P version, although I do appreciate the extra miles of range of the LR. I did pony up for acceleration boost.
I love speeding in my MY. Considering new aftermarket rear shocks and maybe a wrap!

I have driven my MYLR top speed several times on wide-lane straitish country roads with good visibility here in Md. and in WV and on highways on long trips. It went 137 although it’s technically limited to 135. I kinda wish I’d got the P version, although I do appreciate the extra miles of range of the LR. I did pony up for acceleration boost.
I love speeding in my MY. Considering new aftermarket rear shocks and maybe a wrap!
MYP, chickened out after 120 MPH

I was debating between the 3 and the Y. Price was about the same (35k vs 38k) and I prefer driving the 3 but I have a dog and kids and didn’t want both in the back seat together. If the 3 was a hatchback that would be my choice.

I was debating between the 3 and the Y. Price was about the same (35k vs 38k) and I prefer driving the 3 but I have a dog and kids and didn’t want both in the back seat together. If the 3 was a hatchback that would be my choice.
I would never have bought the S if it were not a hatchback. For sure the 3 would be even a better seller if it was. Can easily fit a 65" TV in either the Y or the S and in fact have done it with both. The guy at Best Buy looked at me when I pulled up in the Y and said "will never fit in that" Made him eat crow as it fit easily.

I would never have bought the S if it were not a hatchback. For sure the 3 would be even a better seller if it was. Can easily fit a 65" TV in either the Y or the S and in fact have done it with both. The guy at Best Buy looked at me when I pulled up in the Y and said "will never fit in that" Made him eat crow as it fit easily.
The Y really puts the U in SUV. I’m coming from a much smaller car though (an e-golf, poor man’s 3!) and getting used to the Y’s size and ride height will take a while. I can parallel park that e-golf into a shoebox…I had to abandon a pretty large parking spot yesterday in the Y because it was just too dark for me to see where the curb was with the cameras and mirrors and I don’t have a feel for where the car is yet.

I find it funny that no one has mentioned the other quality of the 3 some may prefer.
The Model 3 is simply smaller.
This is one of the main reasons I have one on order now.
Until the Model Y refresh comes out, the 3 also is quieter, and has a gentler suspension (which some of us prefer).

That said, if by “best” you mean most bought, then the answer would be last year’s #1 most sold car inn the world, the Model Y.

Last edited:
I find it funny that no one has mentioned the other quality of the 3 some may prefer.
The Model 3 is simply smaller.
This is one of the main reasons I have one on order now.
Until the Model Y refresh comes out, the 3 also is quieter, and has a gentler suspension (which some of us prefer).

That said, if “best” means most bought, then the answer would be last year’s #1 most sold car inn the world, the Model Y.
"Best" is a very subjective term that depends on features, functions and often simply irrational personal preferences. Clearly the Y has hit the sweet spot for a lot of people but if you prefer a smaller car and don't need the extra capacity of the Y then the 3 may be better.

Reactions: Zythryn
"Best" is a very subjective term that depends on features, functions and often simply irrational personal preferences. Clearly the Y has hit the sweet spot for a lot of people but if you prefer a smaller car and don't need the extra capacity of the Y then the 3 may be better.
Very well said. People using “best” as an objective term is actually a pet peeve of mine.
Lo and behold I did it myself!!
Edited my former post to make that more clear.