Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returning to Melbourne with my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, just found this thread as I am also looking to take my P85D (2015 model) from HK to Melb. I checked with tesla CS in Australia, and received varying info from three different CS operators.

In summary the info I got from CS:
1) grey market car - so tesla will help look into getting the car up and running (if it doesn't work), but no guarantees that they can, and responsibility of the owner to get it to the service centres (so towing if it doesn't start up)
2 ) supercharging may not work, and any free supercharging will def be cancelled
3) servicing may be a bit limited due to components (?? this part is baffling as the HK 2015 model S and Aust models should be from the same line?)
4) Will need to upgrade the following hardware / components: a) sim card; b) the nav and infotainment system - estimated cost AUD 3- 4k
5) Overall success rate of imports is a bit hit and miss, with HK and JDM cars being imported, some work on arrival and some don't.
6) Some car import companies I contacted said that freight forwarders are not handling personal teslas due to the battery, b/c if it dies during the trip, then they are liable...tesla CS unfortunately would not let me know who handles their commercial freight...

Wondering if anyone has successfully imported from HK to Australia recently? Be good to hear any first hand experiences!

thanks!

Yes, the tesla CS info isn't the most logical to understand....overwhelmingly was told to sell in local market and rebuy in Melb...

Have not upgraded the CCS yet, but sounds like I should get it done before I try importing.

Yes, the tesla CS info isn't the most logical to understand....overwhelmingly was told to sell in local market and rebuy in Melb...

Have not upgraded the CCS yet, but sounds like I should get it done before I try importing.

If you were to import I'd just get the CCS2 done locally in Hong Kong and then see what happens when you bring it in.
I reckon you'd probably have Maps etc working with a Wifi Hotspot etc anyway.

A note of warning, even if you get everything thing else working, the fairly severe restrictions that are placed on Hong Kong market cars will continue to apply to your vehicle even when it’s registered in Australia.
However electrically it should be quite compatible as I was given a Hong Kong wall connector when my car was first delivered in 2014, before they had certified an Australian version.

A note of warning, even if you get everything thing else working, the fairly severe restrictions that are placed on Hong Kong market cars will continue to apply to your vehicle even when it’s registered in Australia.
However electrically it should be quite compatible as I was given a Hong Kong wall connector when my car was first delivered in 2014, before they had certified an Australian version.
From what I managed to find online are you referring to the no browser, no game arcade, and probably a lack of some other features too?

I wonder if the navigation and infotainment system replacement would solve this.

Any dates on bringing your tesla from HK to AU?

I am thinking about exporting my 2016 Model S P100D from HK to Australia as well. I e-mailed Tesla Australia a few weeks ago and here is what I know:

1. I will be able to utilize the Superchargers in AU with the CCS2 upgrade.
2. Free Unlimited Supercharging may or may not transfer from my home country to AU.
3. They can 'potentially' install a new SIM card and update the region to access the local maps and navigation function.

Reactions: cafz