Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rented a Model S Plaid this past week, for fun. The push button signals on the yoke took some getting used to. I don't like it. The on-screen gear shifter is weird too. I personally prefer the stalks. The yoke is weird too, and I found it challenging to make long turns. If the highland will have the same features, I may need to get my current gen order in now, lol.

• Informative
Reactions: ord3r and pdx_m3s
  1. I ordered on June 27, 2023. Today, my delivery date updated from "July-September" to "August 04 - September 28". I am from Israel. Ordered Tesla Model 3 RWD. No VIN yet.
  2. China factory is currently not producing Model 3 due to updates for Project Highland.
  3. When I ordered, Tesla's site in Israel still showed Model 3, not Project Highland.

The question is: would I get a Model 3 or Project Highland?

They likely have months backlog stock to deliver so highly likely you get a current M3 with that date. I don't think anyone is expecting Highland updated cars to be delivered so soon. Also highly doubt your advisor will be able to give you accurate info too - they often aren't aware of changes even as updated cars are sitting on their lots! :)

Reactions: Gasaraki
You won’t know until Tesla actually starts shipping Highland cars. I held off on ordering a new S until I knew that they were shipping with HW4.

When you order a new Tesla in the US, they immediately send you a text message that you can use to communicate with Tesla about your order. Don’t they do that in Israel?

> They likely have months backlog stock to deliver so highly likely you get a current M3 with that date.

It's been 3 weeks since I placed the order. If what you are telling was indeed so, I would have got my Tesla immediately after placing the order.

It would be unethical to ship a different model to someone who made an order for something else without at least informing them of the change in advance of delivery.

Likely there will be a point when orders for 2023 models will not be filled because of the transition to 2024 models. Those orders should be canceled, and customers advised to reorder for the current offering with new pricing.

Unlikely that Highland will be 48V, HW4 is 16V throughout, so even Juniper seems unlikely. The whole point of 48V is to make cheaper wiring harnesses so it wouldn't make sense to spend tens of millions of dollars completely redesigning 5,000 feet of wiring, grommets, connectors, and tooling just to save a few cents in copper cost.

Also, 48V peripherals don't yet exist and there are hundreds of them throughout the car. Imagine every component from the radiator fan, to the power lumbar support, to the power trunk strut (and latch). It would be unreasonable to redesign all those components simultaneously for an instantaneous jump to million/year production rates. Especially considering that Tesla relies on high-volume legacy suppliers like Bosch and Hella to provide many of the lights, pumps, motors, etc.

I'd bet the CT will be partially 48V using some voltage regulator hacks for compatibility with some 12V legacy stragglers and the Model 2 will be fully 48V with Tesla taking ownership of a lot more vertical integration.

BTW, the Model 2 is likely less than 2 years away. They're already testing the powertrain on the streets of Freemont.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr X
For me the biggest improvement needs to be in the ride.

Any long drive above 3 hours on uneven freeways takes a negative toll on the joy of the trip IMO.

2nd improvement needs to be improved road and tire noise insulation.
Agreed but you know these things can be improved yes? Lots of information on threads on reducing Road and tire noise and we've knocked probably 5 DB off of our early 2018 performance model cars by using these kits and dynamatting the doors and other areas. Ride can be significantly improved with the MPP Comfort Coilover kit plus lighter Wheels and dropping down wheel diameters. In other words, this is not a baked-in problem. For those who really are willing to spend money on this, you can also get the double pane glass for the front doors and this probably is worth at least a DB or two also.