Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reversing into a parking spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the right mirror on auto tilt. Maybe I need to play with that setting a bit to get it in the right position.

I have both mirrors on auto-tilt and never had a problem. Best way to set them up is to park perfectly between the lines somewhere (drive in nose first or use an isolated corner of a car park) and then set your mirrors where you can see lines in the ground. Next time you reverse in you should be able to see the lines in both mirrors and be perfectly straight.

If I recall correctly, the rear wheels stick out a bit further than the front wheels. This can cause your car to be crooked in the parking spot even though you thought that you were parallel with the parking line when reversing in.

Agreed. It can also affect you when you park front-in. Your wheels on the driver's side are equidistant from the parking line but the car itself is slanted.

I have both mirrors on auto-tilt and never had a problem. Best way to set them up is to park perfectly between the lines somewhere (drive in nose first or use an isolated corner of a car park) and then set your mirrors where you can see lines in the ground. Next time you reverse in you should be able to see the lines in both mirrors and be perfectly straight.

+1

Once I setup the mirrors to auto-tilt , I haven't had a problem since I see the parking lines in the side mirror (instead of on the camera where we all want the lines to appear).

Interesting. I find it easier to back mine into a space than any other car I've owned Maybe it's practice, as I have to do it twice a day.

Agreed. Of course I learned to drive in a 1971 Ford Country Squire Station Wagon (yes, complete with fake wood paneling!), a 24' beast where things like backup cameras and auto-tilting mirrors were future fantasy. I've also towed (and subsequently parked and backed in to camping spaces) a 36' trailer with an F-350 crew-cab longbed truck.

Backing something like The Ess is a snap.

There's something about the curvature of the hood as it rolls over to the left front panel and the front that throws me for a loop. I don't know what the problem is, but unless I really pay attention, even if I pull in *forwards* into a parking spot, I'm aimed a little diagonal. It's a little embarrassing. I've never had this problem in any other car I've owned or rented (for the most part - maybe some big SUVs I have a hard time judging).

I can park straight, but it's like I have to keep telling my brain "OK, it feels like you're angled like an idiot, but remember that when it feels about *this* off-kilter you're really pointing straight" over and over again.

The backup camera is completely useless for this purpose. I only use it to set my distance from the back of the spot. It really needs those lines.

To align the car, I use the auto-tilt mirrors. Specifically the left-hand one. I look at how the painted line or curb lines up with the side of the car. I am able to park very precisely doing this - exactly how far from the curb/line I want, and parallel to it.

I find it harder to judge with the right hand (passenger) mirror, though. Parallel parking can be a little tricky.