Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RHD specific issues with v11 UI changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are multiple threads about the v11 short comings on TMC, and several within the UK sub-forum alone. However, I think there is a discussion worth having about things which are particularly bad on the RHD cars. And if I'm wrong, and this doesn't need an entire thread, thank you in advance to the moderators who may end up merging it):

newE0C0A7AC-3079-4C5B-BCDF-0EFCDA7B381E(2).jpg

Wiper control and stalk button in RHD
Tesla puts the wiper button on the end of the left hand stalk, which means in a LHD car you can press the button with your left hand while holding the wheel. Your other hand (the right hand) is used to fine tune the wipe speed or whatever on screen - and you can have that in position ready. However, on a RHD car, the left hand must do both - it will take slightly more time to move your hand from the stalk to the screen (and you have to use your eyes at that point). I was finding the timing tighter than I would like - so would increase the timeout for the wiper controls disappear for RHD.

(In fact, I'd rather the wiper controls stay on screen until something else pops up, because the odds are if the automatic wipe controls are not good enough in the current weather conditions, you're going to be doing plenty more manual adjustments - or at least I find that driving in the UK.)

RHD indicator stalk vs blindspot camera display placement
Same background problem here, Tesla always puts the indicators on the left stalk. That means on a LHD car, your left had will be moving the stalk near the car door, so not blocking your view of the central screen. The right hand might be, but that's a different issue.

The problem with a RHD car is the left hand moving the indicator will be at about position 9 on the clock (even if you usually hold the steering wheel elsewhere for your personal comfort or best view of the screen), which means for me and probably quite a lot of RHD drivers, your left hand/wrist/arm will be obscuring the bottom near side of the screen where the blind spot camera is displayed.

A possible fix for this is to put the blind spot camera above (or instead of) the car visualisation. That might be a popular choice for many drivers (LHD or RHD) depending on how they position their seat and hands?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are multiple threads about the v11 short comings on TMC, and several within the UK sub-forum alone. However, I think there is a discussion worth having about things which are particularly bad on the RHD cars. And if I'm wrong, and this doesn't need an entire thread, thank you in advance to the moderators who may end up merging it):

View attachment 758104

Wiper control and stalk button in RHD
Tesla puts the wiper button on the end of the left hand stalk, which means in a LHD car you can press the button with your left hand while holding the wheel. Your other hand (the right hand) is used to fine tune the wipe speed or whatever on screen - and you can have that in position ready. However, on a RHD car, the left hand must do both - it will take slightly more time to move your hand from the stalk to the screen (and you have to use your eyes at that point). I was finding the timing tighter than I would like - so would increase the timeout for the wiper controls disappear for RHD.

(In fact, I'd rather the wiper controls stay on screen until something else pops up, because the odds are if the automatic wipe controls are not good enough in the current weather conditions, you're going to be doing plenty more manual adjustments - or at least I find that driving in the UK.)

RHD indicator stalk vs blindspot camera display placement
Same background problem here, Tesla always puts the indicators on the left stalk. That means on a LHD car, your left had will be moving the stalk near the car door, so not blocking your view of the central screen. The right hand might be, but that's a different issue.

The problem with a RHD car is the left hand moving the indicator will be at about position 9 on the clock (even if you usually hold the steering wheel elsewhere for your personal comfort or best view of the screen), which means for me and probably quite a lot of RHD drivers, your left hand/wrist/arm will be obscuring the bottom near side of the screen where the blind spot camera is displayed.

A possible fix for this is to put the blind spot camera above (or instead of) the car visualisation. That might be a popular choice for many drivers (LHD or RHD) depending on how they position their seat and hands?
I completely agree

Yes, and my point is the left hand which just pushed the stalk button now has to move to the screen (and take your eyes off the road) quickly enough to make those adjustments before the pop up vanishes.
I agree, this is more awkward than it needs to be. Why not make it easier (as with all the small icons) which require too much attention to touch correctly? There is a massive screen available - just click the end of the left hand stalk to bring up a set of controls we use while driving - this could cover the whole visualisation graphic which is completely useless. Like others, I set driving parameters before I start a journey and generally do not attempt to change them on the move. A set of large buttons which are accessed by one physical click would be ideal and should include Standard vs Chill mode, wiper speed (+ -), front and rear demisters, and seat heating (+ -), Temperature (+ -)

Reactions: Wol747