Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rice Krispy wheel warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, while backing into the garage, I heard this snapping, crackling and popping sound and thought the whole drive train in my new Y was falling apart. It was so bad I called Roadside Assistance because I sure didn't want to drive the car to the service center and have it break down enroute. And then....I thought I might learn something from the forum, so why not take a look. Well it turns out my new Y has the (very neat!) plastic hub caps and I guess one of their characteristics is that they flex and pop for some time after initial use and then, apparently, quiet down some weeks later. So no problem. But...for some reason, I've been hungry for Rice Krispies ever since.

I just noticed this sound on my 2021 Model Y (19" wheels with aero covers) in the past couple weeks. I didn't not notice it the first few months I had the car. Seems pretty bizarre to me, I wonder if it will go away. Why would the wheel covers flex and bend and crackle if they are mounted to super rigid alloy wheels? I like the wheel covers and figure they save me a bit of energy from better aerodynamics at high speeds, but maybe the impact is very small.

The reason this happens is because those plastic hubcaps all weight about one lb. each. And what's holding them onto the rims are plastic clips with metal tensioners, all located on the spokes of the rim, but not the center. As the wheel turns, the one lb of plastic weight slides a little bit, to the point where if you were to remove the hubcaps a year after ownership, you’ll see rub marks on the spokes and also nick marks along outside of the rim where the hubcap makes contact.

Decent idea, a little poor on execution (and style)

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
The reason this happens is because those plastic hubcaps all weight about one lb. each. And what's holding them onto the rims are plastic clips with metal tensioners, all located on the spokes of the rim, but not the center. As the wheel turns, the one lb of plastic weight slides a little bit, to the point where if you were to remove the hubcaps a year after ownership, you’ll see rub marks on the spokes and also nick marks along outside of the rim where the hubcap makes contact.

Decent idea, a little poor on execution (and style)

Honestly why I have not installed them from day 1 - they are still in the plastic bags and weren't even installed at delivery (I asked them not to). Once I saw how these were mounted, I figured it was only a matter of time until the rims were damaged by the covers.