TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Richard Branson's Virgin working on ELectric Vehicle

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Dutchie, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

2. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

That would be excellent news! And given his relationship with Elon and Tesla he'd likely share the charging standard...

3. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Richard has started close to 100 Virgin companies and at least 14 have gone bankrupt including Virgin Atlantic airlines, Virgin Cars internet car dealer, Virgin music Megastores, Virgin Pulse and Virgin Digital which were to compete with iPod and iTunes,Virgin Cola,VirginStudent(ha ha i.e. Facebook),Virginware(i.e. Victoria's Secret),VirginVie cosmetics among others.

I wish him well. But Richard seems more of a through everything at the wall and see what sticks kind of guy.

Whereas Elon is more of a 5 for 5 type of guy.

4. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I think you mean 'throw'.

Also, I loved Virgin Cola back when I was in highschool. My nerdy unpopular friends and I had previously made the V4L (Virgin's for Life) club and Virgin Cola, with it's slightly ugly looking people on it, quickly became our official drink.

5. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Hawthorne, CA adjacent to the Supercharger & Desig
    That might be the only true competition to Tesla. With Branson's Formula E experience, it's a welcome new player in the field.

6. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

Most of the great innovators and business men have plenty of failures, I think it strengthens Branson's resume to an extent. Elon himself said he expected Tesla to fail. Branson seems as well positioned as anyone to create a successful EV, I feel.

7. Takumi

Takumi Member

8. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Well said.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps on a neural level with monkeys performing individual tasks. But complex human behavior such as launching new businesses is an entirely different ballgame. Failure is almost a prerequisite to success, at least when it comes to the most successful people.

9. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

I think too many people in tech fetishize business failure.

Elon has come very close to spectacular failure at Tesla and SpaceX but has not.

As an investor I would rather go with the 5/5 guy than the 86/100 guy.

Yes, either guy could fail or succeed in the next venture.

10. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

11. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

#11 Johan, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Virgin Galactic:
    PX10092700SpaceShi_3092680k.jpg

SpaceX:

Who's car would you rather drive your kids in?

12. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

Those are cars?

13. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

No kids go in those. This is more relevant...

Other airlines sharing the seven-star rating and winning a place among the top 10 safest airlines are, in alphabetical order, Air New Zealand, All Nippon Airways, Cathay Pacilfic Airways, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Eva Air, Royal Jordanian, Singapore Airlines and Virgin Atlantic

And the world's safest airline is ... - CNN.com

14. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

#14 woof, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    SpaceX has it's share of RUDs too:

As Ms. Shotwell said:

15. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

The Virgin Galactic failure was pilot error. Space X has yet to put a man in their rockets, so there's that.

16. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a competition, please! It is just great news that other entrepreneurs are willing to invest in EV's! I hope something compelling comes out of it. The more suppliers of EV's the better it is for us all!

17. bluenation

bluenation Member

....some of you ...fans...have a a real problem positively embracing friendly EV competitors to tesla.

this is welcome news, hopefully he follows thru as opposed to a half hearted effort as appears to be the case for so many others.

18. eloder

eloder Member

Well, there's a good reason for that. I don't expect this of Branson of course, but much of the competition is trying to continue a lot of horrible practices. In my personal case, I have to wait six months for a smart electric delivery while literally hundreds of cars are sitting on dealer lots in California, in CARB states, and won't be sent elsewhere. The dealer almost refused to order an electric car for me, and I'm expecting any service issues will be equally difficult to deal with. If I have to use any public charging, it will be horrible, unreliable, or several times the cost of gas compared to the free (prepaid) Supercharger network.

Even if you look at the Nissan Leaf, the most popular EV car out there, you'll see a huge number of complaints related to the fact that dealers still want to keep the ICE world running, and you'll see a lot of preferential treatment in CARB areas versus the majority of the US.

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I agree. To me, the striking thing is how so many non-Automotive companies are getting on board. Apple, Google, now Virgin. Tesla started out as an auto company, so I don't consider that odd, but the others???

20. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Yes it is. Elon says he welcomes the competition and even opened up Tesla's patents if used in good faith. The fact that it is a competition is what makes it exciting, and a race to the top, rather than dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator.