Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Richmond Virginia Supercharger location confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can calculate 133kW/3phases/277V (3 phase, Wye connected) for a current of 160A per phase. Put in the 20% NEMA derate factor and you get 200A (80% * 200A = 160A) per phase per Supercharger bay (cabinet). A master breaker for 4 bays then needs a main breaker of 800A, as the permit specifies.

Good stuff in your post, but all I could think about as I read it was this guy...
Casting-hiring-male-models-for-International-CES-trade-show-to-be-Doc-Brown-from-Back-to-the-Fut.jpg

Until there is another supercharge in between (or a good charging station period), I'm wondering if going 301 instead of I-95 would be a better route to travel between Richmond & Newark.

I look forward to this, the Burlington, NC location (and other NC location)... and maybe, just maybe, the northeast Georgia location in earnest for future family trips up north.

Until there is another supercharge in between (or a good charging station period), I'm wondering if going 301 instead of I-95 would be a better route to travel between Richmond & Newark.

I look forward to this, the Burlington, NC location (and other NC location)... and maybe, just maybe, the northeast Georgia location in earnest for future family trips up north.

Mileage is the same 301 or I-95 but 95 is always so miserable between Alexandria and Fredricksburg I would think 301 would be a preferred drive regardless of Supercharger installs along the way.

I stopped by the site this morning with a dozen fresh Krispy Kremes; told the guys there that I thought electric cars in general and Tesla in particular are the future and that I was excited just to be a part of it (albeit in a very small way). They were appreciative and I had a chance to talk to top guy from C&C Electric who was there (local VA subcontractor I guess?), he mentioned that there's a big push right now to support Elon's cross-country trip at the end of this year.

I was running late for work so I didn't have a chance to snap any pictures, but three or four of the parking spaces on the right end of the row in OP's photo of the site were dug down several feet, and they had several gray electrical conduit pipes that protruded upwards. There were probably 8-10 guys at the site, it looks like things are moving right along.

I accidentally posted my last update in the old mid-Atlantic thread.

Anyways, swung by today in the misty rain and they have been working hard. I took this photo:

RichmondSC-20131012.jpg

Interesting to see the charging frames already in place. Also, they are building a cement block and brick structure for the charging gear. I don't think I've seen that in the pictures of other SC's.

I keep posting to the wrong thread. Anyways, I swung by this afternoon, had a very nice chat with the general contractor and some of the workers. I don't think they've been able to see a Model S up close. They've been working hard and hope to finish very soon.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Tesla's cabinets and gear are in place inside the brick bunker. Virginia Dominion Power was there to do service hookup today. They hope to do live testing very soon. Opening may be as early as next week.

Official opening should be next Thursday. Of course, until the official email comes out, that's subject to change.

The folks doing most of the work to bring this site up won't be at the opening - they'll have moved onto the next project(s). So high fives for the Tesla supercharger installation team!