Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Richmond Virginia Supercharger location confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
now I just need one more Supercharger between Richmond and Burlington, NC to get to Charlotte. I'm not sure i want to do that 200 mile trip in my 60.

By Google Maps, it's only 183 miles, which seems like a reasonable buffer, but I'm not sure what you've found real-world...?

Swinging by Rocky Mount to Supercharge adds 43 miles to the total trip, but makes your longest leg 128 miles. I don't know if it's worth the trade-off or not, and there is time of day and Raleigh-Durham traffic to consider.

Totally my fault for having two threads on this same topic. For some reason, I thought speculation about the SC would go in the regional thread and then once confirmed, it should move to this sub forum. Oh, well.

The SC is still blocked off because the lot was resurfaced and painted two days ago. A friend sent these pics:

IMG_5075.jpeg
IMG_7573.jpeg

Hopefully I'll see a lot of you there tomorrow morning.

Hmm.. that's an interesting set of signs there: "Tesla Supercharger General Parking".

Looking back a my pics from the Delaware SC it has a "No Parking" (circle/slash) sign up top with "Except for Electric Vehicle Charging" below:

de_sc.jpg

This technically doesn't prohibit ICE vehicles from parking there... what do other SC sites have for signage?

Have we agreed on a time? 8:15 Dale City rest stop? I'm going to bring a FRS/GMRS radio with me if anyone wants to chat on the way down. We did this for the RIR event and it made the drive go by super fast.

Dale City Car-Only Safety Rest Area South
Montclair, VA 22025
(804) 786-0670

http://goo.gl/maps/sw4vw

Example radio (there are MANY on the market): http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT1000VP4-36-Mile-50-Channel-Two-Way/dp/B001WMFYH4/

- - - Updated - - -

Huh. That seems even weirder to me.

It makes sense. The land owner doesn't want to dedicate 8 parking spaces to Tesla just yet. So the agreement is 4 dedicated, and 4 are first come first serve with a 30 minute limit for general parking. In the land owner's ideal world, Tesla owners would use the dedicated A spots first, causing an even distribution across the chargers and allowing everyone to get 120kw. When there are more than 4 cars charging, they use the B slots. Of course, what will likely happen is we'll start to use the general parking spots first to save the dedicated spots for other people. As long as B plugs in first, they'll get 120kw. And then the 5,6,7 and 8th cars show up they'll still have the dedicated stalls to use and theoretically not be ICEd.

Ultimately if the supercharger is busy all the time all 8 spots will become dedicated.

Andrew

Last edited:
I think the discussion was that we would target 0800 departure and that tjimtjim might hang around a short while for any latecomers. Google Earth tells me it is a bit over 70 miles from the rest stop to Glen Allen --- and assuming we drive at the speed limit and have no traffic problems, that means those departing at 0800 would arrive at Glen Allen somewhere around 0900 or a few minutes later. As those of us in the Northern Virginia area know, traffic here can be painful sometimes --- and though we will be traveling "against the traffic flow", it never hurts to plan ahead. My plan is to arrive Dale City rest stop somewhere between 0700 and 0730. Then meet with other owners and head south.

Looking forward to this event! And yes, Chilis for lunch sounds like a great idea!

Just washed & waxed ye ole' Tesla and will be heading there tomorrow. Dropping son off @ school south of Charlottesville by 8:30am then heading that way -- without traffic should take less than an hour so hoping to be there by 9:30. Then again I'll probably hit some traffic as I approach Richmond...

See y'all tomorrow. This is my car & plate below, FYI. Maybe everyone should post a pic of their car or plate so we can match up people with their cars tomorrow?

fuelftr.jpg
car.jpg

Guys -

I'm in! Staying at a long time friends home in Gaithersburg Wednesday night. Will meet you at the Dale City rest area Thursday morning - map says its 45 miles away, so I'll leave his home at 6:30am.

After the event, I'll be visiting my sister and her kids in Richmond, so this trip is a three'fer for me!

See you there - with my Jack Russell Terrier "Denny" as well!

Aaron

Aaron
Aaron,
Just caught a pic from someone on twitter, and recognized your car!! :)

Wow. The turn out for this was huge! Wish I could have made it but middle of the week events are tough to go to.

Im looking forward to making use of this in the future. So now the east coast can do a CT to NC trip?

If you have an 85, then you should have no problem to do a run from NC to CT or even MA. If you're in a 60, it's possible, but you'd have to be very conservative.

Thanks carrerascott for the great photos! I was at the event and it was great to meet other MS owners. I led a contingent of four MS from the I-95 Dale City rest stop in my multi-coat red ---- definitely got a lot of looks from other drivers when they saw four Teslas in a line. Looking forward to further installs of the SuperCharger network to enable future trips south.