Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ride Quality M3LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I’ve had a quick look but can’t see anything obvious. Waiting for a trolley Jack and some lifting pucks so I can get a wheel off and have a proper look.

In a totally non scientific test pushing the back down (boot lip) generates almost no movement whereas I can get more out of the pushing the front down (frunk lip) I’m not what you would call small so can put a fair bit of force down!
That's just because the rear springs are a lot stiffer than the fronts.

Would also say that if I break hard there is no downward movement at the front of the car stays perfectly flat. Under hard braking I’d expect some downward movement at the front.

The lack of dive at the front is almost certainly due the very low CoG. You haven't got 300 kg of engine, transmission and ancillaries trying to rotate around the front axle. (Well, strictly speaking, the front roll centre)

I find the handling and suspension to be very good,

Last edited:
I have a M3 LR with stock everything. I feel every bump, seam or rough spot in the roadway. On long trips, 5+ hours, the seat becomes very uncomfortable. I compare this with the MS which is opposite to the above description. Model 3 is a great around town car but until they improve suspension like they did on the S, I'd keep it away from cross country trips.

I too find the M3LR very firm and can feel everything on the road. The roads around where I live are dire and even making a 2 mile trip to drop one of the kids off at gym is verging on unbearable.
I really hope it beds in soon, it makes the Lexus GS I had before feel like a rolls Royce in comparison.
I purposely didn't buy the LR for its performance but it's range, so I wasn't wanting hard performance suspension!

We just changed wife’s car from Golf GTI to Audi S3.

My car is night and day difference in ride quality, noise, vibration, harshness etc compared to the Golf which was on 19’s

The Audi is night and day also to the Golf, but it’s on 18’s

Mine is a level beyond the Audi in terms of overall ride quality, picks up less vibration from the road and handles the really bumpy stuff more maturely.

But it doesn’t have as much feedback as either of the wife’s recent cars - and they themselves are not exactly known for their feedback.

My previous car was a BMW 6 GT M Sport on 20’s but with rear air suspension and the ride on that was astonishing given it had run flats, unbelievable pliant, tight and yet super comfortable.

Reactions: OneTinyFish
So most people saying the ride quality is pretty good and the others saying it is overlay harsh.

It'll be going up in the air tomorrow so I can have a proper look and check there is nothing looking out of place underneath.

I came from an X3 but had a 328, M135 and Scirocco before and the ride is significantly worse than any of those. Still live in the same are so same roads.

Would also say that if I break hard there is no downward movement at the front of the car stays perfectly flat. Under hard braking I’d expect some downward movement at the front.

Maintaining a flat attitude under braking is what you would aim for in a sporting vehicle. Why would you want or expect the car to dive?

I have just exchanged my Performance for an LR. Both have exactly the same ride and overhard suspension. Particularly bad with speed bumps. My Mercedes used to take all such surfaces at speed without any drama.
The Tesla really is more of a Ford than a German lux car.

Maintaining a flat attitude under braking is what you would aim for in a sporting vehicle. Why would you want or expect the car to dive?

I don’t want it to dive particularly. Just used to a car nosing down under heavy breaking and the M3 doesn’t so wondered what others were experiencing and if my experience was different and therefore something to investigate.

Reactions: Exy1
Cars with soft suspension and/or longer travel suspension and with a less than optimal weight distribution will tend to dive under firm braking. Low slung sporting vehicles with ideal weight distribution with good damping will ideally have that characteristic dialled out. The Model 3 comes into the latter category. It is not going to ride like a Rolls Royce but thankfully it’s not going to handle like one either!

Reactions: Neilio
At the rear on each wheel I’ve found these on each damper. Should they be there is the question? They are about three inches long and compress slightly under pressure from my fingers?

Attachments

• A6F34795-BFDA-4592-8516-B29D4E8AE681.jpeg
    A6F34795-BFDA-4592-8516-B29D4E8AE681.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 54
went from e-class (wallow wallow but soft and cossetting) to M3LR. Agreed on some of the slightly ropey A roads you do feel more i.e. it does not absorb as much as the E-Class does for example, but it's ability to grip and stay flat is astonishing it's very point and dart unlike the Mercedes which you did not so much drive, as make suggestions
I would agree with this. I had a CLS which is essentially an E-class with it's going-out trousers on. Found the same, I much more direct steering and lively suspension. When you go from a large sedan or estate built for comfort with air suspension and long like seats to a sporty saloon car you expect a reduction in comfort. The massive improvement in handling more than makes up for it.