Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Right rear tire wearing on outside tread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, off to the SC for an appointment.
Do not take your car to a Tesla SC unless you have no other choice. Take you car to any competent shop for tires, rotations, suspension, alignment and brake work. These shops do this work day-in and day-out, will usually get you in and out in one-hour, and will cost you far less than what Tesla will charge.

Also check the tire pressure also, when I picked up my 23 MyLR in Feb, 3 tires had different pressures. If it on the outside as you mentioned, it’s definitely an alignment issue. As the previous poster mentioned, take it to an independent shop as they are experienced and you will be out quicker than the SC.

Also check the tire pressure also, when I picked up my 23 MyLR in Feb, 3 tires had different pressures. If it on the outside as you mentioned, it’s definitely an alignment issue. As the previous poster mentioned, take it to an independent shop as they are experienced and you will be out quicker than the SC.

Sounds like curb damage caused the camber to go out of wack. These cars should have accelerated inner tread wear due to negative camber, not outer. Does the car still drive straight? Has it ever been wacked into a curb or any road hazard?
That is only noticeable on the model X & S on the larger wheels. I never had this issue on my 22 MYP with 9k mile no inside tire wear and my 23 MYLR 18k miles no uneven tire wear. Keep it properly inflated. With temp drop so will you air pressure. Keep a portable air compressor in the frunk/trunk. You would be surprised how much the temperature difference changes the air pressure. Did the OP mention he has a damaged wheel or curbed the vehicle to get it misaligned that severely?

Outside edge? that's...unusual. Do you mean the inside?
Yes, outside edge. We have never parallel parked the car . I don't see where we could have curbed it. I think it was out of alignment from delivery. The wear is not severe but I did notice it walking by in the garage. No, the car drives straight. At only 15K miles with a slight deviation from correct toe in I could have taken this amount of mileage to show up.

Reactions: ngng
Yes, outside edge. We have never parallel parked the car . I don't see where we could have curbed it. I think it was out of alignment from delivery. The wear is not severe but I did notice it walking by in the garage. No, the car drives straight. At only 15K miles with a slight deviation from correct toe in I could have taken this amount of mileage to show up.
You didn’t notice if it pulled in that direction when you let go of the steering wheel?

That is only noticeable on the model X & S on the larger wheels. I never had this issue on my 22 MYP with 9k mile no inside tire wear and my 23 MYLR 18k miles no uneven tire wear. Keep it properly inflated. With temp drop so will you air pressure. Keep a portable air compressor in the frunk/trunk. You would be surprised how much the temperature difference changes the air pressure. Did the OP mention he has a damaged wheel or curbed the vehicle to get it misaligned that severely?
If you have an MYP, your rear tires have less tread on the inside than the outside with 9k miles, I guarantee you that. Factory camber is around -1.5 degrees in the rear. Yours might not be major, but it is 100% impossible for the rear tires on an MYP to wear evenly across the tread, even on the most gingerly driven vehicle. That's just the nature of it, the rear wheels are visibly tilted in if you look from behind.